Print Thread
Hop To
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
For some years I've been seeking a 14-16' Lund from 40 years ago or so, plus or minus. Much like 270 featherweights, the ones that are out there are kept and used, instead of babied and hoarded. I had a notion that putting 30 Benjamins in my pocket on a road trip through lake country would produce a good one, but I never took the time. Red, tiller, some of them were just about the best looking boats on the water. My dad had a 16' SSV with an 18 Evinrude on it, and in HS, my friends and I took that boat all over NE SD. We used it to learn how to get ourselves out of trouble, something kids have to figure out in life.

During a conference call the other day, I was trolling Craigslist and found a listing for an '86 Pro Pike tiller with flat floor and pedestal seats, 16' and a 30 Evinrude on the back. Updated PowerDrive 55 on the front. Pictures looked super nice, price was right, so I made a call. I identified myself like I usually would with my full name and where I'm from. The guy stopped me and said, "THE BK, the lawyer from Pierre, SD?" I was taken somewhat aback, I have few acquaintances in NE Minnesota. Turns out the sellers/consignors are the son/grandson of one of my longtime friends and clients. We laughed at what a small world it is, I said I'd think about it.

Ten minutes later, one of his brothers calls me, said its a super nice boat, one owner even, and he's on his way out here in the next ten days and if I buy it, he will deliver it. With a story like that, who could say no? I called back to tell them I'd take it and mail a check. I got the grandson on the line, he owns the boat place. We've never met. He said he's looking forward to meeting me, etc.

I said, "Is that boat trailer going to make it all the way to Pierre?" He said, "If it doesn't I have a feeling I'll never hear the end of it." Ha, smart kid. Expecting delivery next week.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Welcome to boataddiction 101. Send you some pics.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Brett boats from MN are kinda pia make sure you get a bill of sale for the boat with Vin and hull numbers on it as well as the current registration for it. I DON'T know if MN titles their boats either. Get a separate bill of sale on the trailer and registration slip as well as the title. Making the treasures office at the county happy is a royal pain in the ass. You have to have 3 boats to be a charter member of boataholics. Why multiple boats? Well you don't wear the same clothes everyday do you?.mb

PS call down to the treasures office and tell them where it is coming from and ask them what they need for paper work save you some hassle.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks I appreciate that. I got bills of sale for both boat and trailer

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
That’ll do it BK.
A couple weeks ago I was doing the exact same thing in idle time and came across a late 90’s Lund 18’ Alaskan. On a trailer, no motor. Perfect.
The guy wanted a new floor so he had gutted it. Perfect.
I went out right away 20 minutes out and we took it and dunked it in a lake to check for leaks, none. Perfect.
Great boat in super shape, all registrations valid. Took fewer Benjamin’s than I’d imagined.
Currently better than half done with the interior. Add graphics to the exterior and add the last of my three 50hp merc tillers I bought last summer and away she goes.

Perfect. Love it.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Osky that was a Great score.mb

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My boat is rated only for 40hp. We'll see how the 30 is, probably leave that alone, but I'd love a Merc 50 or a Mariner 45....rowrrrrr.
Yes that is a great score for sure.

I went out this morning on lower Oahe. Flat calm, clear water, tough sled. I plucked one 19" out of 26' of water, and a scrappy smallmouth from out of nowhere. Breeze would have been awful nice. Beautiful morning but I'm used to much better fishing

Last edited by BKinSD; 07/01/23.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BK does the new boat have a 15 or a 20" transom? The thing about the old 4cyl 2 stroke merc 50's and mariner 45's was their ability to run at low rpm for trolling spd but not load up bad. Allways liked them too.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Its a 20", flat floor, original pedestal seats, etc. So far so good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good deal on that S16....I've owned several....hard to beat for a basic boat.

IC B3

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, I sure like it. its a Pro Pike 16. I had never heard of the model but easily found it in an '86 Lund catalogue found on their website. No bench seats, all flat floor. Will be a good unit.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s a slick setup all the way around. Especially the Bronco. A cousin bought one same color new at Mile High Ford in Denver in 69. Kept it all these years until he passed a few months ago. His son still has it and is driving it a little.

I’m a little bias towards classic Broncos pulling classic boats though my Bronco is a little newer and my boat a little older. 😉
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
Good deal on that S16....I've owned several....hard to beat for a basic boat.
VernAK, Lund hasn't made the S-14 and S-16's in a lot of years, but our fly-in Canada fish camp owner will buy every one of the older S-16's that he can find. He has newer Lund 16's and older S-16's and he will pay a premium to get the older ones that were made from virgin aluminum. He was chasing leaky rivets and dents on the newer ones that were being made from the recycled softer aluminum. I had a '70's S-14 and being a flat bottom with a wide beam it rode rough, but it was a tough, heavy boat.

Nice old Bronco's guys. A buddy had a twin to the green and white one with the 351 V-8 and it was a thirsty one.

We did a lot of charter fishing in my buddy's 28' Carver and every weekend those Minnesota Lund 16' Mister Pikes were right out there with us trolling for salmon. We'd run out 22 miles to get after the rainbows and there would be all those little guys and in the way lots of time. It's a wonder we didn't drown more people out there as they would disappear in the trough of the waves.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an SSV18 now and have no problems, but it doesn't get the abuse that a resort/lodge boat would get.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
No surprise that you found a tiller in Minnesota. I just bought one 2 weeks ago and had to run up to Brainerd , MN. to find a decent tiller that was not almost the price of a new one. I payed $14,500 for mine but in S.E. Wis. it would have been $18 or $20,000. There is too much money where I live , and a tille ris hard to find, cause like you said, people with those old boats use them, and no reason to get rid of it till they die. I have an 1990 Alumacrsft V16 that I bought new . Had it 33 yrs. come this July 27. I wont use it much , but very little interest in selling it. They are just too easy to use in a river , or back trolling.

Last edited by ihookem; 07/13/23.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Love the Broncos. Mine was bought new at Ghent Ford in Fort Collins, which is the city where I found it, on Craigslist, in 2014.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (426crown, 222ND, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 160user, 23 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,646
Posts18,533,760
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.