Print Thread
Hop To
R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
The Supreme Court just ruled that Colorado can't force a website designer to design wedding websites for same sex marriages. The First Amendment smiles.

"The First Amendment’s protections belong to all, not just to speakers whose motives the government finds worthy. In this case, Colorado
seeks to force an individual to speak in ways that align with its views
but defy her conscience about a matter of major significance. In the
past, other States in Barnette, Hurley, and Dale have similarly tested
the First Amendment’s boundaries by seeking to compel speech they
thought vital at the time. But abiding the Constitution’s commitment
to the freedom of speech means all will encounter ideas that are “misguided, or even hurtful.” Hurley, 515 U. S., at 574. Consistent with
the First Amendment, the Nation’s answer is tolerance, not coercion.
The First Amendment envisions the United States as a rich and complex place where all persons are free to think and speak as they wish,
not as the government demands. Colorado cannot deny that promise
consistent with the First Amendment. "

303 Creative v. Elenis

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's a shame that we have to have challenges to the first amendment that go to the Supreme Court but I'm glad they got it right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another win. Biden's Student loan forgiveness struck down. 6-3.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/22-506_nmip.pdf

Also the other case DOE v Brown. No standing

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/22-535_i3kn.pdf

Last edited by Steve; 06/30/23. Reason: Fixed opinion links

Carpe' Scrotum
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Those danged 'abby-normal' courts!

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
So she was never sued?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
So she was never sued?

Not as far as I know. She sought a determination from federal courts on whether her plan to not design gay marriage websites would violate Colorado's public accommodation law before any legal action was taken by Colorado.

It's a bit unusual, as federal courts usually refuse to rule on questions prior to government action being taken (i.e., advisory opinions), but I guess there was something about the fact that Colorado has already used this law to attack the First Amendment rights of others, like cake designers, so the issue is ripe now.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
So they can no longer force Christian bakeries to bake cakes with homo messages on them?

R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So they can no longer force Christian bakeries to bake cakes with homo messages on them?

That's what the ruling SHOULD mean, but it's California Jr. (Colorado), so they'll probably try to limit this case to its facts (websites, etc.).

When the court took up the case of Christian bakers they ruled in a weird way, saying that the government entity had expressed an open hostility to religion in its deliberations, and didn't hit upon the underlying law's constitutionality. Here, the court finally addressed the competing interests of one party's religious beliefs and the state's desire to protect gays.

It's clear from the opinion, though, that the baker, website designer, etc., can't refuse to serve gays....they can only choose to not engage in expressive activity, like designing a cake or a website, if it conflicts with their religious beliefs.

In other words, the baker can't bar gays from coming into his shop, nor can he refuse to sell gays cakes because the customer is gay. BUT, he doesn't have to design a cake with a message that offends his religion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the updates, Remsen. I promise not to bash attorneys today. You have renewed my hope for the legal profession that there are still good lawyers with good intentions. You and 6 members of the US Supreme Court. Those other 3 I still have issues with.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Heros Act was only intended to garner votes for the midterms. There was no way in hell this was going to be supported under the US Constitution.

So pay up you silly fückers.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The sad thing is that the 3 Liberal justices who swore an oath to uphold the Constitution will always put political considerations before the oath they swore.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love the ruling. People who wear spandex will hate it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Biden has already asked congress to pass new laws protecting the queers in light of this ruling. Hey Joe, did you know that the only way congress can overrule the constitution is to enact a new amendment? Remember the Equal Rights Amendment back in the 70's? It never got ratified. If it had, it would be playing big in passing new pro-queer laws.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
It has been an outstanding week for SCOTUS rulings. Thanks for the post and comments.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So, mean tweets and all, it would seem the New York Billionaire managed to do something for the Country.

More to come when the 9th and other Circuits rule favorably on 2A issues and the States push it to SCOTUS........................assuming the Dems don't get control of both Houses and add more Justices under their next watch.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
👍👍👍

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kwg020
Thanks for the updates, Remsen. I promise not to bash attorneys today. You have renewed my hope for the legal profession that there are still good lawyers with good intentions. You and 6 members of the US Supreme Court. Those other 3 I still have issues with.

kwg
Me too, especially the latest one that was seated simply because of her/it's skin color and because she's (supposedly) a woman. Affirmative action before the SCOTUS ruled against it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.