Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Progress...........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Seafire is right about one thing. Orygun local government relies on property taxes more than any other source...they don't have sales tax, their fuel taxes are relatively low, so local govt just loves to see increased population density for the increase in revenue. It's about their only way to increase income. Josephine County barely survives year to year budgetwise since the NAFTA and the spotted owl scam destroyed the Jefferson economy. Prior to that, Jo Co had approx 9 major sawmills and plywood plants with thousands of family wage jobs, all gone, courtesy US Govt. The main industry in the Illinois Valley now is the mass production of hippy children, on their 3rd generation of welfare and food stamps. Sad.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Real true conservative Oregonians who wish to keep hold of the good old days always have the option to not sell to Californians, hey?

Hate to point out that all too simple solution but…

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Buy the damn place. Problem solved. It won't lose value.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Real true conservative Oregonians who wish to keep hold of the good old days always have the option to not sell to Californians, hey?

What to do when their non-conservative neighbors sell though?

There's also the issue that John pointed out, old folks died, the heirs or trusts no longer have any need, or desire, to keep the property. Could they possibly have sold it to some entity to create a wildlife area in perpetuity as a condition of the sale?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
There's also the issue that John pointed out, old folks died, the heirs or trusts no longer have any need, or desire, to keep the property. Could they possibly have sold it to some entity to create a wildlife area in perpetuity as a condition of the sale?

This is what I do for a living--estates and probate, here in Oregon. The kids normally have houses, jobs, families, and lives that don't include the family property. So it gets sold.

Conservatives generally support the free transfer of property and capitalism in general. My rural area is slowly being taken over by "McMansions" as people scrape off the old 1,500 sq ft ranch style home and build a bigger (4,000 sq ft) absurdity.

Its unfortunate, but we live in the great United States of America, and citizens have the right to build the home they want, where they want.

Freedom matters.

Also, sale to a conservation group rarely works. The group sells the house and buys a wetland somewhere else.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BMT

This is what I do for a living--estates and probate, here in Oregon. The kids normally have houses, jobs, families, and lives that don't include the family property. So it gets sold.

Conservatives generally support the free transfer of property and capitalism in general. My rural area is slowly being taken over by "McMansions" as people scrape off the old 1,500 sq ft ranch style home and build a bigger (4,000 sq ft) absurdity.

Its unfortunate, but we live in the great United States of America, and citizens have the right to build the home they want, where they want.

Freedom matters.

Also, sale to a conservation group rarely works. The group sells the house and buys a wetland somewhere else.

BMT

In the OP's case, he mentioned farmhouses and larger acreages, not just a house. But yeah, it might be hard to get a group to purchase a 40 acre "farm" to conserve, and maybe harder to get the "in perpetuity" part included in the deed transfer.

I know of places in the Redwood's of CA that type of selling was the only way a family could guarantee the old growth trees on "Pop's" place didn't have to get cut as the value of the wood substantially increased the value of the property, to the point the heirs would have had to sell it, and the trees, outright just to pay the inheritance taxes.

Crazy world, but it beats living in a scheidthole country in the Third World.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

What to do when their non-conservative neighbors sell though?

But the two kids who are selling to the evil CA developer are potlandians. So how are Californians to blame?

And yes if old folks (who we assume want to keep Oregon for Oregonians) are at their end, can they not donate the land/assets to an entity that will ensure this?

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe those two kids are conservative Potlandians? And they only want the money for their portfolios? And have no desire to live in S OR with the hicks?
I'm not sure, maybe a member or two with RE experience can say if it's legal to refuse to sell to a person or company based on the State they reside in? Sounds a little discriminatory to me.

In it is contentment

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Not to be a party pooper, and I understand exactly where seafire is coming from because I moved away from where I grew up for the same reason, but do "real conservative Oregonians" have much to say about what their neighbors do with their private property, as long as they're not creating a nuisance?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
....hmm I left Oregon 12 years ago--whatever happened to the LCDC rules on not allowing farms to be subdivided?

That is why we left, because our family place we inherited could not be divided among the heirs.

"Mama tried..."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Elk won't necessarily move. Look at Estes Park. Elk wonder all around town

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BlueDoe
....hmm I left Oregon 12 years ago--whatever happened to the LCDC rules on not allowing farms to be subdivided?

That is why we left, because our family place we inherited could not be divided among the heirs.

Generally, it is easier to sub-divide in Counties south of he Willamette Valley. Also, many are not technically subdivided. We use "Lot line adjustments" to move the property boundaries.

I worked on one where an 80 acre parcel was adjacent to an undeveloped subdivision that was platted in the 1930s. It was 18 small lots that was just blackberries and vine maple. We just moved those lines around to make 20 Five acre parcels.

Hard to know what is going on in this case.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by Seafire
and Californians wonder why the locals never seem to like them, when they move in and want to take over everything to make it just like California, but with lower costs and without all the population....

You're a smart guy Seafire, but blanket statements like that are just dumb.
Most all of my closest friends have left California in the last 20 years.
ALL of them are right wing conservatives that hunt, trap and fully support the second ammendment.
They are fiscal and social conservatives.....not "California Conservatives" another term often thrown around... most of them thought that even Ronald Reagan was too liberal.
They moved to be with like minded people and to escape the strangling regulation, restrictions and taxation of California.
If anything, they would like to see things get even more conservative in the states that they moved to.
Contrary to popular belief, not all Californians are the same.

Sal,

If anyone stands up for Californians on here its me... I'm an east coast guy. I travel often in your fair state, quite a bit.
Most of the geography in CA, is full of down to earth rural folks, just like anywhere else... Not all Oregon residents are like folks up in Potlandia. In the same vein, many Californians are not like people out of LA or SF or Sacramento...there are even good folks in those places, just like in Portland.

So you are right in correcting someone ( even me, complaining about 'Californians' ) but even tho it was me, I hope most people could look beyond that... Being from the east Coast, I've met a lot of nice and decent folks in New York State also.
Beretz is from NY State, and if you haven't noticed, he's a great guy...

So I'm not going to apologize to the A Hole Californians, but for the decent folks in your state, yeah 100%. Meant no offense to them whatsoever.

If you want to know a place that has really gone to hell in a handbasket, since I graduated High School, it is where I called home... Metro Washington DC, Northern Virginia. Which is the most expensive place to live in the entire USA. AND its all liberal and full of foreigners of every stripe. When I was in high school every school in the entire state flew the National Flag and then the Confederate Flag and finally the state of Virginia flag. As you can guess, that ship has long since sailed. Its hell to see what was a wonderful place to live, turn to hell in your life time. I understand that quite well.

Now Oregon, I wish the rest of the state would give Potland to Washington, along with the City of Salem. Last election the DemocRATS only took 6 counties out of 36 of them. Yet supposedly they still won the election. But I think they have been "winning " them for the time I've lived here ( 27 years ), in the same fashion Joe Biden "won" the last election.. by massive fraud.

I really wish the west coast, could make a new state that consisted of LA, SF, Sacramento, Salem, Potlandia, Seattle and Olympia....a bunch of metro urban islands full of communist liberals. Then the West Coast could get back to having all the decent folks who live here, run their states once again, and the urban new state can turn themselves in the schittholes they are busy becoming now....and they are not allowed to move into the CA, OR and WA that is left over, without them.

Thanks for bringing your concerns to my attention Sal and allowing me to respond.
Best regards my friend!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
you are ignoring this scheisskopfhorsesaschschittbird...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MikeS
How large are your and your neighbors parcels?

1.5 to 5 acres...these new lots to be formed are RR 5 acres plots.

totally undeveloped, they are going for 225K to 250K on average.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Capitalism is 100% correct 100% of the time.

Well not really. It’s the best system that we have but it isn’t perfect. That sucks that the land is being carved up. I hate suburban sprawl.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Is the dispute with private landowners or the zoning board?

Most land owners don't support it. The CA Real Estate people have paid off the Zoning Board, they are pretty open about that it seems. The County DemocRATs just want the increase tax base....no matter how high they make taxes on everyone else, its cheap compared to what these transplants paid in the land of Fruits and Nuts.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
It sounds like the county is telling you that further development will infringe on your existing water rights.

Are your water rights not senior. Would that not be the avenue to pursue?

That's exactly what most residents in this neighborhood are doing, whether D or R, or planning to do if they don't fast track this thru, which is commonly what they pull up in Salem all the time... they don't like discussing such things, they just pass things and then let the other folks have to fight it out in court... try to deter any opinion different than theirs.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by acy
A herd of 60 elk is calling an 80 acre parcel home?

They wander out of that area a lot, but we are surrounded by BLM and Forest Service Land...

but they have all they need here, so they don't go far...

It was 99 degrees here this afternoon... I left to go into town, there was about 50 plus, just bedded down underneath the shade of the trees on the back part of my property and the neighbor's... just like they were on vacation...

Stopped while in my car, and looked at them 25 yards from me... they just starred back, without any real interest whatsoever, including 4 of the 5 big bulls....they were laying down and just nibbling on grass and clover.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.