Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Holy smokes, I was off by 15 years?!!!
I was thinking Ira Hayes died in 1965. He was a technical consultant for the film, that much I remembered. But he died in 1955, not ‘65.
Anyway, as I said, folks who do these list really oughta try to differentiate between a war movie and an action movie set in a war.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A few of my favorites are:
Saving Private Rayan, Das Boot, Fury, and HBO - Band of Brothers and Pacific.
A good while back, I had the pleasure of talking to a WWII medic who went ashore on D-Day at Normandy Beach. He didn’t get a scratch. I asked how the real event compared to Saving Private Ryan. He told me that the movie was historically accurate but the real event was much louder. He was an old school southern gentleman dressed in a suit and tie. Our wives were pre admitting to Baptist Hospital in Jackson Mississippi. I will always remember him and our conversation. I should have written it in a journal for prosperity.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The Pianist was artful and painfully slow. I couldn’t watch it past the 1/2 way point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cross of iron

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kelly’s Heroes

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
"Hell Is For Heroes" and "Paths Of Glory"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In 1976, CBS did a special on the anniversary of D-Day. They aired The Longest Day, and as each scene of the movie was shown, they had live interviews with veterans who had actually been part of that scene 30 years before!
I was just a pup at the time, but I knew I was watching something pretty special.
Like the interviews of the vets from Easy Company with Band Of Brothers.
To hear an actual veteran, an eyewitness participant, talk about what they saw, what they did, and how they felt about it brings the story alive.
No movie, no matter how well done and how accurate, can come near seeing a veteran with tears in his eyes, tell you what they did.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
"A Bridge to Far"

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Memphis Belle, for personal reasons.
Beyond that, I loved Kelly’s heroes.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by StGeorger
Sands of Iwo Jima
👍👍didn’t Clint Eastwood direct that
Sands of Iwo Jima was produced in 1949. Clint Eastwood was born in 1930. So he would have been only 19 when the movie was produced. A little young to be a Hollywood director.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My ol pops fought in the Battle of The Bulge as an infantryman. He also did house cleaning in other spots as well. He gave his two cents worth to me about five years before he passed. Saving Private Ryan nailed it for him. He noted that, among other things, they got the sounds just right. One of the few (only?) movies that you could hear the ping of an empty Garand clip…once he heard that, he was sold on the movie. His personal “sounds” that stuck with him were the ping, plus the sound of a V-2 rocket way overhead and the sexy sound of the P-51 hauling ass over their positions. Said he’d never forget those…

So proud of that man, a member of The Greatest Generation. Rest in peace ol man.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The thin red line is a good one

This was a horrible movie. On my list of worst ever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Patton

Saving Private Ryan

Band of Brothers

Those three I'll never pass up if scrolling through the guide.

Also liked "Black Book".

Patton I've seen two thousand times if I've seen it once. All time favorite. Great movie to throw on and fall asleep to.

I recall getting off shift at 8 a.m. in the morning in Germany, and my German, Canadian, Belgian, British, etc., friends on shift and I (I was in a NATO unit) would hit the beer machine (yes, we had beer machines in the barracks), and we'd settle in for some Patton, or other crap and get toasted by noon. A lot of fun, and a lot of cool insight into what our generation of Americans, Brits, and Germans, and other Europeans felt about the war. Never got heated. We were all very much into the history of it. Damn, sure miss those 9 a.m. runs to the beer machine to watch those movies with a bunch of good people, some of whom I'm still in contact with today.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Private Ryan, The Big Red One, The Memphis Belle, and Kelly’s Heroes.

Will probably catch grief but I really liked the PBS run of “The War”.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to see somebody mention Das Boot. Great war movie if you don't mind subtitles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by B_n_C_Buck
The thin red line is a good one

This was a horrible movie. On my list of worst ever.

Pretty much agree. Might have been decent if they'd of ditched fuggin' Penn and Nolte. Horrible acting from both of them commie mf'ers. Ruined the movie. Have seen it once, and not sure I even finished it.

Last edited by DaveR; 06/30/23.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For those interested, a good documentary.... "WW2 from Space". Worth the watch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing tops saving private Ryan

Nothing.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Patton was a good movie. The longest day was very good for simply showing all the challenges faced for the allies to invade fortress Europe. I’m sure I’m forgetting other really good movies.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Best WW2 tearjerker...........The Fighting Sullivans. If you can watch that movie and not get a lump in your throat, then there's something wrong with you.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.