[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
After a half hour of hail and 2"of rain, I have no vegetable garden. The hail broke or smashed down any protection I had put up for it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We are on vacation for a week, unless I get lucky with some rain, mine will be dead when I get home.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sorry to hear about the hail storm. That's a bummer.
Any time I take off I have a few neighbors not too far away that'll water for me and likewise.
We help each other out like that as we share the Bounty also.
HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We have a You Pick It Veg Farm about 3 miles away. Our veggies do not do well, deer eat everything in one night. So After four tries, I just stopped messing with it. The state and their idea about game management is no management at all. They have many zones and yet the F & G state board still treats the entire state as one plot of land.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
We are on vacation for a week, unless I get lucky with some rain, mine will be dead when I get home.
I made a irrigation system with pvc pipe & soaker hoses set up a auto-timer to water garden.

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
After a half hour of hail and 2"of rain, I have no vegetable garden. The hail broke or smashed down any protection I had put up for it
That's a bummer sorry to hear that.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been getting some nice slow on and off again warm rainy days this past few days and along with some humidity the 8-12 inch tomato plants that were donated are 3-4 feet tall after one month on average and some of the later varieties we planted as donors are about 2 feet tall. As it dries out in the next few days to a week I'll get in there and do some weeding and trimming and keeping everything manageable. Don't need out of control plants just productive growing plants.
HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
With an all night soaker Rain and the rain that was due today I'll get into the garden and do a little weeding and trimming any leaves that might have a few spots on them from any existing leaf fungus as Ive been spraying some baking soda and water on them and it's been working as the effected pepper plants and Eggplants are doing better! More trimming is needed on the Tomato plants as their going Hog Wild!

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
So far strawberries (done now), raspberries are just starting, rhubarb (second batch) and fresh peas. Tomatoes, cukes, zucchini, carrots, sweet onion, beans are probably a month out yet. Also got cabbage (Savoy) I am trying this year, basil, and a decent crop of boysenberries coming! Love boysenberry pie and/or crisp!

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That Boysenberry sounds pretty good along with the rest of your plantings. Got some weeding and some more plant trimming as we've been getting some nice rains for the past few day's along with some normal humid weather this time of year as it's pretty common for summer heat and humidity to sen the garden into super grow mode as we just have to stay on top of the leaf viruses and I sprayed a little baking soda in some cool water on all the plants last night before dark as it rained again last night so it'll need it again later or tomorrow. All the Herbs are doing well, and we're starting to see some peppers and tomatoes on the vine as we're right on schedule from a Memorial Day planting.

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What varieties are you having success with?

I'm having success with a couple of cherry tomatoes and one regular tomato; the cherry tomatoes are Sun Sugar and Super Sweet 100 and the regular tomato is Lemon Boy. Everything else looks to be growing well and throwing fruit, but none of it is ripe yet. The other varieties that I'm growing are Better Boy, Black Cherry, Patio, Repunzel, and Yellow Pear.

Good lettuce is Bibb and Little Caesar, okay lettuce is Black Seed Simpson, and poor lettuce is Buttercrunch and Four Seasons.

Good spinach is Double Choice Hybrid and Salad Sensation, poor spinach is Giant Noble.

Bell pepper are like most of the tomatoes, growing well and throwing fruit, but none of it is ripe yet.

All herb are doing well, already drying a couple of varieties of basil.

I plant lettuce and spinach every two weeks so that I will have a steady supply all season long.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Remguy,
That's sounding pretty darn good to me! Same here nothing ripe yet as it's early for us. Asparagus is about done as we enjoyed about 20 lbs. for the last two months and now we let it grow out and fern to a bush and in late fall oct.-nov. we'll cut it down to ground level and cover with leaf compost and it'll come up early next spring. Lots of Tomato plants doing really well as we have hot,humid weather with some rain on and off and keeping up with them is a chore. Their about 4-5 ft tall and bushy as all get out. 9 varieties as big boy, better boy, yellow pear, cherry, black cherry, san marzano, roma, black Krim, cherokee purple. All donated from friends who started from seed and given to us about 10-12 inches tall. Several bell peppers, sweet banana peppers, hot jalapeno peppers, and eggplant. We used to do a lot of other different vegetables but we've cut back. A lot of fruit is starting to show up so we're pleased with that and maybe about another month we'll start to have more tomatoes than we'll know what to do with. lol Not really as we have a lot of Family members that wait for it, along with friend who just love the Variety! A lot of Basil as we use it in everything. Garlic is thriving along with a patch of shallots my wife uses for cooking.
HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our pea patch this year is Miss. pink-eye purplehulls. Picked a little over 1 1/2 bushels Monday, about the same Wed., and a little over 2 bushels today. This coming Monday should be the best yet.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I usually plant pinkeye purplehulls, but we still have quite a few in the freezer from last year, so I planted some of the Zipper peas this year. Can't wait to see of they will be as easy to shell as advertised.

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm planting 3 more rows of pinkeye purple hull next week they good eating.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yep, we have a garden. It's nice to watch the veggies grow. 100'x100' is a challenge to keep up with. Just don't look to closely, a bit behind with weeding. smirk

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picked 6 bushels of Miss. pinkeye purple hulls yesterday. Got them all in the freezer and I'm thru with the pea patch for this year. Already given several older neighbors peas and got a neighbor coming to pick tomorrow. After that, if nobody wants to come pick, I'll take the fence down and let the deer have them.

Sheller ready to go

I got a video of how the sheller works, but I dont know how to post it. Yeah, I'm dumb!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Canned 21 pints of raspberries yesterday and 30+ pints of raspberry jam a week ago. Definitely past the halfway mark on the raspberry crop. Boysenberries starting to colour up, probably 10-14 days out from that crop.
Rhubarb still producing, peas about done, green bush beans a couple weeks off, tomatoes not showing any colour yet and zucchini/cucumbers a ways out yet. Overwintered sweet onions putting some more size on them too!
Apple trees I grafted onto rootstock are putting some good growth on this year, they will get moved out of the nursery bed this coming spring.

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Canned 21 pints of raspberries yesterday and 30+ pints of raspberry jam a week ago. Definitely past the halfway mark on the raspberry crop. Boysenberries starting to colour up, probably 10-14 days out from that crop.
Rhubarb still producing, peas about done, green bush beans a couple weeks off, tomatoes not showing any colour yet and zucchini/cucumbers a ways out yet. Overwintered sweet onions putting some more size on them too!
Apple trees I grafted onto rootstock are putting some good growth on this year, they will get moved out of the nursery bed this coming spring.
Sounds like you staying busy.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,152
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.