Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Have you tried any factory rounds in the SAME SESSION as your loads?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

T
TwoTrax Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Have you tried any factory rounds in the SAME SESSION as your loads?

No I have not. I have played with 3 different powders, 3 different bullets, 2 different brands of cases and 2 different brands of primers.

After really scrubbing the barrel the erratic velocities went away. As long as I clean every 10 shots or so the gun acts like it should. But no matter the combination I get a lot of powder fouling.

I bought this gun probably 15 years ago and just never used it much. Probaby only fired 2 boxes of factory loads in that time. I surely cleaned it but do not remeber anything terrible. I recently decided to work up loads for it and when running them over the chronograph I started seeing all the irregularities.

So bottom line, with all the combinations tried, it is not the components. Gotta figure why it fouls so much now.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Still using the nickle plated brass? I gave up on it years ago, Looks cool
but seems (as best as I can remember) I had too many issues with it.
Brass only for years now.
Probably should list the plated stuff here and sell it as not using it personally.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
T
TwoTrax Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have some and use it for my hunting rounds sometimes.as I do not shoot them a lot, for example my Nosler PT loaded rounds. Too expensive to shoot and reload for practice and plunking.

Works fine for that plus they do not tarnish.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"My experience with bore pastes is mostly in stainless barrels and they will always show black patches, even with bare steel."

None of my barrels are stainless and they show black patches. One rifle copper fouled so bad the it would take 8 hours or more to remove all the fouling. Black patches all the way through th session. I got ma and fire lapped the barrel and then worked with the JB for a couple more hours. patches still came out black. When I had my custom .280 built, other than the gunsmith firing a single round to test the gun, no other ammo was run through the barrel. I ran a few patched wit JB though it and they came out black. I doubt a single shot would have deposited enough carbon to cause black patches.

To prove my point, take a piece of steel that you might have laying around and "polish" it with a bit of JB on a patch. bet you money the patch will have black stuff on it that ain't carbon from being shot.

I use the Winchester nickel cases in my custom .280 Rem. and have not had any problems. (Probably just jinxed myself saying that.) One batch of brass had been shot five times and then annealed and so far shot two more times with no problems. The load is a 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam (older two core version) over a max load of the long discontinued WMR powder. Velocity is 2907 FPS average. Rifle is a custom based on a 1909 Argentine Mauser. The load is 57.8 gr. WMR/2795 FPS/56,800 PSI according to the Winchester booklet #15. Accuracy is superb with .75" being about average.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Before you replace the barrel try fire lapping it with one of the bullet kits on the market with the various grits impregnated onto the bullets.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
T
TwoTrax Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Before you replace the barrel try fire lapping it with one of the bullet kits on the market with the various grits impregnated onto the bullets.

Was checking one by Wheeler out this morning. Certainly worth a try IMO.

I have been cleaning rifles for over 55 years, never had one powder foul like this one does.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
T
TwoTrax Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"My experience with bore pastes is mostly in stainless barrels and they will always show black patches, even with bare steel."

None of my barrels are stainless and they show black patches. One rifle copper fouled so bad the it would take 8 hours or more to remove all the fouling. Black patches all the way through th session. I got ma and fire lapped the barrel and then worked with the JB for a couple more hours. patches still came out black. When I had my custom .280 built, other than the gunsmith firing a single round to test the gun, no other ammo was run through the barrel. I ran a few patched wit JB though it and they came out black. I doubt a single shot would have deposited enough carbon to cause black patches.

To prove my point, take a piece of steel that you might have laying around and "polish" it with a bit of JB on a patch. bet you money the patch will have black stuff on it that ain't carbon from being shot.

I use the Winchester nickel cases in my custom .280 Rem. and have not had any problems. (Probably just jinxed myself saying that.) One batch of brass had been shot five times and then annealed and so far shot two more times with no problems. The load is a 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam (older two core version) over a max load of the long discontinued WMR powder. Velocity is 2907 FPS average. Rifle is a custom based on a 1909 Argentine Mauser. The load is 57.8 gr. WMR/2795 FPS/56,800 PSI according to the Winchester booklet #15. Accuracy is superb with .75" being about average.
PJ

I used the bore patste one time to clean out the rough spots. I believe it was fouled so bad it created build up which I could feel running a patch through it. The paste worked and the erratic velocities went away. I have been cleaning it every 10 shots since and it is now throwing consistent numbers. But the patches after 10 shots to clean it up are black for 7-8 patches. All my other guns show a slight black for 1-2 patches before showing the blue which is the copper/guilding metal starting to come out. This is after many more rounds, maybe 50 or so. So something up with this barrel.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a Teslong and take a look, bet you just think it’s clean and it’s not. BTDT.

Swifty
T
TwoTrax Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Get a Teslong and take a look, bet you just think it’s clean and it’s not. BTDT.

Not a bad idea.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You won't regret it!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Anneal and check for donuts at the neck/shoulder junction!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Both were already suggested--but on threads that go on for more than, say, a couple dozen posts it's common for some members not to read the entire thread before posting....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Sorry. Just trying to be helpful!!

T
TwoTrax Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Not a bad idea.

Just ordered one, I may be very surprised.....

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Might need some fresh primers.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
T
TwoTrax Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well got the Teslong borescope today. I have been working on the barrel on and off for over a week and it is actually pretty clean other than some carbon in the corners of the rifling closer to the chamber.

Then I scoped one of my 243's, a stainless Tikka which I had patched not long ago. That one surprised me. I believe it was Swifty who said it could be an eye opener, and it was.

The bore on the Rem KS 280 is definitely rougher than the Tikka. I have heard so many good things about Borecoat so I believe I am going to order enough to do all of my centerfire rifles. With the Teslong I can tell when they are truly clean and then use the Borecoat. Should be a good thing if all that I heard about that stuff is true.

Thanks to all again whom replied!

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Winchester cases are hard to start with. I have had them split on the second firing. I don’t/won’t use them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
One possible reason for excessive fouling is that your loads are not developing near max pressure. Try a hotter primer and work up.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Did not notice anything erratic prior with brass cases but have not shot this gun a lot. Had a bunch of factory loads I had picked up at a very good price and shot those mostly. Just recently started loading for it.

I use a Pact electronic powder dispenser and it has always thrown accurate charges. I do check it with my manual scale after it goes through the calibration when first turning it on or changing powders.

I had cleaned the rifle about midway through this ordeal and as I think about it the pressure on the cleaning rod seemed to change just a bit, it was slight and I did not think much of it at the time but after going over everything I am wondering if there is something going on in the bore.

I do not have a borescope but do have some JB bore paste, maybe I should try giving yhe bore a good scrubbing with that,

A borescope will tell the tale.

Last edited by centershot; 07/12/23.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.