-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just picked up a Springfield Armory SA 35, a copy of the Hi-Power.

Would like to add night sights. What do you recommend?

Virgil B.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I posted this on "handguns" also....

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
No night sights, on any of my guns, they light up your entire upper body. Do the same in a holster. If I have NVGs, of any kind, you are in big trouble with night sights. There is a reason military watches all have a cover over the lense.
You can buy kids night game, NVGs at Wally world real cheap, so do not think no one has them.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rapier
No night sights, on any of my guns, they light up your entire upper body. Do the same in a holster. If I have NVGs, of any kind, you are in big trouble with night sights. There is a reason military watches all have a cover over the lense.
You can buy kids night game, NVGs at Wally world real cheap, so do not think no one has them.

What sights have you used?

My carrygun is under 3' away right now, as I lay in bed.
With a dim light on I can't see the sights.
With the light off, there is a little pinprick of light.
Damn sure can't see the gun, or anything around the shelf.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I get alot of people that have me install tritium sights on their guns but I prefer fiber optics. The tritium is usually only visible in damn near total darkness and if you're in that situation, you have bigger problems. I say go with the FO.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I installed a set of TFX (iirc) fiber optic and tritium on my G20 and I love them. I’ve never been of the mindset that I needed to see my sites in the dark and instead practiced night shooting more instinctively but I saw a potential use for them on my “dark woods” handgun. They make it easy to see my pistol in the dark and they shine bright in virtually all conditions with the fiber optics. I have fiber optic only sites my G19 and they’re great but I might swap them out for a set like I have on the 20.

I think it’s Tru Glow that makes them and of all the night sites I’ve owned they’re by far the brightest and best for me and my use.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I have trijicon and truglo. Trijicon are the long time gold standard and I liked them on a G19, but I was shocked to find the truglo were less expensive and brighter.

On a carry or SD gun, night sights for me. In the unlikely event the bad guys have NV, they likely have the drop on me anyways.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve owned owned all the various night sites at one time or another and I can say without hesitation that the Truglo night sites on my G20 are the brightest sites I’ve ever seen.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
No night sights, on any of my guns, they light up your entire upper body.

My carrygun is under 3' away right now, as I lay in bed.
With a dim light on I can't see the sights.
With the light off, there is a little pinprick of light.
Damn sure can't see the gun, or anything around the shelf.

Both statements are true depending on which sights you choose and how old they are. They get dim as they age, somewhere around 7-10 years is the lifespan.

I used to use night sights on my pistols, but anymore would rather use something with big white dots or fiber optic sights that work in dim light. For true dark use I use a weapon mounted light that can be quickly mounted and removed. I don't carry with the light attached but have a dedicated bedside gun with a light on it and if I'm away from home carry a light to mount on my carry pistol in camp or hotel room.

Like most people I have several guns. The expense of replacing dead night sights on multiple guns every few years adds up. I have 2-3 lights and can cheaply replace batteries every year or so. The mounted light does everything better anyway.

Since your SA35 won't accept a mounted light I'd choose something with big dots on it or fiber optics.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,807
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.