Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
What would be a reasonable period correct scope for target shooting for my H&R 5200/M12? (thinking about Unertl, and I'd have to figure out scope blocks with that? But I'm ready to bid on one)

Gotta be glossy though. The more magnification, the better, but I'd like at least 8x. Rather not smash the bank, so around or under $200 would be preferable. I'm willing to bid more on the Unertl, but if I fall short on that, a backup option is nice to have.

Last edited by aether_tech; 07/01/23.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Your options for that era of scope are pretty much Unertl and Lyman. My sense of the market is that the Lymans, Super Targetspot may be a bit cheaper than Unertls, but not by much. You're not likely to find either in the $200 range, more like mid to high hundreds. I've shot with both and actually prefer the Lyman SS, but that's just me.

There might be other options out there, just sharing what I'm familiar with.

Blocks compatible with the scope mounts and rifle are important, and they are out there. They have to be compatible with your mounts. Some work with more than one type, even two or more. Hopefully, your rifle already has blocks, or is D&T'd for them.

For blocks, Steve Earle Products, if he is still in business.

Buying a used scope of this type, be sure the mounts, adjustments, work properly. The optics themselves are pretty simple.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Redfield 3200 may work for you. In the past they were a bit less money than Unertl, though I haven't been following them recently.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Paul39
Your options for that era of scope are pretty much Unertl and Lyman.

I do not agree with that at all. The OP asked about scopes that were period correct not just externally adjustable target scopes.. The H&R M 12 rifle is not an old model of gun. The guns came out in the late 1970s and lasted until the mid 1980s. That leaves room for a LOT more scope models suitable than just the externally adjustable Unertl ,Lyman and Litschert scopes of that era.

By that time, externally adjustable scopes were actually obsolete for serious target work. Internally adjustable fixed power Redfield 3200 and 6400, Lyman All American Permacenters Target, Leupold 24X &36 x and finally the Superb Weaver T Model scopes all were scopes during the H&R Model 12 production run.

You are correct about the cost of the Unertls. Actually, the Lyman Target spots, Redfield 3200/8400 and the Unertls are ALL $500 to $1000+ scopes these days depending on condition and model desirability /rarity. The fixed power Leupold target model 24x and 36 x scopes are likewise $500++

Two models of scopes that are closer to the OP's budget are the Lyman Permacenter 10x & 20x scopes as well as the Weaver T-10, T-16- T20 and T-25 x scopes. They all can be had in the $300-400 range.

Finding any of those scopes for $200 or less would be the equivalent of buying a winning lottery ticket.

Last edited by jk16; 07/02/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't disagree. Thanks for the addition and clarification.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by Paul39
Your options for that era of scope are pretty much Unertl and Lyman.

I do not agree with that at all. The OP asked about scopes that were period correct not just externally adjustable target scopes.. The H&R M 12 rifle is not an old model of gun. The guns came out in the late 1970s and lasted until the mid 1980s. That leaves room for a LOT more scope models suitable than just the externally adjustable Unertl ,Lyman and Litschert scopes of that era.

By that time, externally adjustable scopes were actually obsolete for serious target work. Internally adjustable fixed power Redfield 3200 and 6400, Lyman All American Permacenters Target, Leupold 24X &36 x and finally the Superb Weaver T Model scopes all were scopes during the H&R Model 12 production run.

You are correct about the cost of the Unertls. Actually, the Lyman Target spots, Redfield 3200/8400 and the Unertls are ALL $500 to $1000+ scopes these days depending on condition and model desirability /rarity. The fixed power Leupold target model 24x and 36 x scopes are likewise $500++

Two models of scopes that are closer to the OP's budget are the Lyman Permacenter 10x & 20x scopes as well as the Weaver T-10, T-16- T20 and T-25 x scopes. They all can be had in the $300-400 range.

Finding any of those scopes for $200 or less would be the equivalent of buying a winning lottery ticket.
This is spot on information!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just looked 5200s up and it looks like production ran from 82-85. Plenty of good scopes from that era Weaver-Redfield-Leopold is the direction I would lean. I liked the 3200s because the knobs were easy to reach but FOV is horrible. Weaver is price wise the best match

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
What would anyone suggest scope wise for this that has a either a good long eye relief (short neck problems), or is just LONG enough that I can mount it far enough back (like the Unertl I'm looking at.)

the barrel is drilled and tapped (at the moment, the gunsmith is removing the 2 of the screws that the previous owner did a good job of shearing clean...)

Redfield 3200 looks nice. pricing seems fairly variable on that one. The 6400 seems pretty stable, around $400. Lyman Permacenter 20x is also around that price. But the 10x is 100-200 ish. So, that's not to bad. Leupold being Leupold (and would be my secondary choice after Unertl) is $500+. So, no surprise there. Weaver T-series probably are the best buck-to-zoom , so if i don' get the Unertl, I'll focus on one of those. The Lyman TargetSpot are ... probably a less cost efficient option then the rest.

The only other thing of interest is the Tasco (japan) scopes, that look like Unertls . Around $400-500. But having adjustable zoom would be nice.

Thanks for the help.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Another vote for a Weaver T. I used a T-10. Upgraded to a T-16 after awhile. Much easier on my aging eyes. Had Cheryl at Optical Services Company go through it. It's been a fantastic scope so far.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by aether_tech
What would anyone suggest scope wise for this that has a either a good long eye relief (short neck problems), or is just LONG enough that I can mount it far enough back (like the Unertl I'm looking at.)

the barrel is drilled and tapped (at the moment, the gunsmith is removing the 2 of the screws that the previous owner did a good job of shearing clean...)

Redfield 3200 looks nice. pricing seems fairly variable on that one. The 6400 seems pretty stable, around $400. Lyman Permacenter 20x is also around that price. But the 10x is 100-200 ish. So, that's not to bad. Leupold being Leupold (and would be my secondary choice after Unertl) is $500+. So, no surprise there. Weaver T-series probably are the best buck-to-zoom , so if i don' get the Unertl, I'll focus on one of those. The Lyman TargetSpot are ... probably a less cost efficient option then the rest.

The only other thing of interest is the Tasco (japan) scopes, that look like Unertls . Around $400-500. But having adjustable zoom would be nice.

Thanks for the help.

Really if you do not want to go through the trouble of drilling and tapping the receiver to get a scope mounted further back for shorter more modern scope, , then the Redfield 3200 is probably the best all around choice as to will cost the least to mount properly on your gun.

With the 3200, there will not be any further expense and I still think you can get one of those cheaper than a Lyman or Unertl externally adjusted scope.

Regarding the Redfields, the 3200 series scopes had a reputation for being more reliable in terms of adjustments than the 6400s.. so there is that,too.

This guy buys and sells many old Target scopes- He might be able to fix you up with one for around $400-

http://unertl.alexweb.net/for_sale.htm

Last edited by jk16; 07/02/23.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks for the contact info for Mr. Greiner, called him up and sadly he said the prices on his site are 10-15 years out of date *oof*

But he'll look into what he has for me, maybe it might be a little rougher on the outside ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are interested in an external adjustment Unertl type scope, Leatherwood/High Lux makes some reproductions that may be worth checking out

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by MikeS
If you are interested in an external adjustment Unertl type scope, Leatherwood/High Lux makes some reproductions that may be worth checking out

and, very pricey.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have to pay to play sometimes. Best of luck.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Weaver steel tube 'T' series scope would be perfect. Plus, they can still be serviced by Ackerman's if need be. You're not likely to snag one for $200 but nice ones can be had in the $400-450 range.

Another good choice would be the '80-90's vintage Tasco World Class TS (Target Silhouette) series scopes made in Japan. These have decent glass, rock solid tracking and RTZ and 1/8" clicks. Most are a fine cross hair with a 1/8" dot but there are some non-dot fine cross hair ones too. They were available in a straight 24 and 36, 6-24 and 8-32 power. They come up on ebay fairly often. I have several here and they get used all the time as test scopes. Don't confuse these with the later Chinese made trash Tascos.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Yea, the Tasco scopes are higher on my list of things to look for due to the relative price to performance they offer.
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
A Weaver steel tube 'T' series scope would be perfect. Plus, they can still be serviced by Ackerman's if need be. You're not likely to snag one for $200 but nice ones can be had in the $400-450 range.

Another good choice would be the '80-90's vintage Tasco World Class TS (Target Silhouette) series scopes made in Japan. These have decent glass, rock solid tracking and RTZ and 1/8" clicks. Most are a fine cross hair with a 1/8" dot but there are some non-dot fine cross hair ones too. They were available in a straight 24 and 36, 6-24 and 8-32 power. They come up on ebay fairly often. I have several here and they get used all the time as test scopes. Don't confuse these with the later Chinese made trash Tascos.

Good shootin' -Al

Yea, the Tasco TS price to performance is reasonable. But I don't think they are long enough on the eyepiece end to be able to work on the H&R 5200 with the existing mounting points being so far forward. Which is an issue I have to keep in mind, and one of the reasons I think so many of them use Unertl style scopes.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tasco also made the Unertl style target scopes. They use to be reasonably priced but not so much nowadays.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by SquibLoadMatch
Tasco also made the Unertl style target scopes. They use to be reasonably priced but not so much nowadays.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Nothing is 'reasonably priced' anymore. Damn having a hobby...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aether_tech
But I don't think they are long enough on the eyepiece end to be able to work on the H&R 5200 with the existing mounting points being so far forward. Which is an issue I have to keep in mind, and one of the reasons I think so many of them use Unertl style scopes.

Your receiver isn't drilled/tapped for bases? -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Your receiver isn't drilled/tapped for bases? -Al

5200/M12 are not tapped or dovetailed

Last edited by SquibLoadMatch; 07/03/23.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,535
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.