Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Chrome Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Looking to get a non 1911 45 acp. Leaning toward the S&W M&P 2.0 FDE or the Berretta PX4 Storm.

Been looking for the Beretta Storm SD Type F with no luck.

Any opinions on either of these .45s?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My PX4 has good attributes:
1) Dependable with all types of ammunition tried.
2) Accurate.
3) Light weight and compact.
4) Comes with several grip inserts for individual fit.

Not so good:
1) Snappy recoil due to light weight.
2) The bottom edge of the trigger is sharp and can bite the trigger finger under recoil. Had to round it off with sandpaper.
3) Point of impact was 5" high at 15 yards with Browning 230 FMJ (a very accurate load, by the way). Bought an adjustable rear sight from Beretta since a taller front sight is not available. At the lowest adjustment it still shot 5"high. Drilled the cavities for the springs under the rear sight deep enough to allow the sight to be adjusted lower.

Conclusion:
Now that the tinkering is over I like it a lot.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an M&P .45. It is accurate and reliable. The only downside is the M&P trigger. I don't get too worked up about striker-fired guns with lousy triggers as it comes as the standard issue with the genre.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me it was between the S&W or the Glock.
I went with S&W. Main reason was S&W was offering a $100 rebate at the time. And I found a good deal online (no tax, the only store left that I know of.)
I haven’t shot it much but it seems accurate enough for me. No hiccups.
I did throw a Timney trigger in it as I did with another S&W M&P and a G45 I have. I know a lot of members frown on replacing triggers or modifying them but it’s what I like. They are nice triggers.
Still thinking about picking up a G21 in the future.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have the M&P in .45. I like it quite well. I have shot a Storm in .40 a few times and it just doesn't feel as good in the hand to me.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a S&W, bought it for no other reason than I didn't have one. lol (I was in "one of each" mode for a few years)

I did trigger work on it. Shoots well enough. Never had a malfunction. Used to shoot it about once a year at my clubs annual "plastic gun match", always worked well. After that went away, not so much. I stuck a light on it and made it a "house gun". Now I just take it out now and then stay familiar. (but I have a lot of .45's)

Down side, I'd say the factory trigger isn't amazing. lol And of course it's a double stack .45, so not a small grip.

Oddly enough, the small frame S&W 9/40 might just be one of the best feeling/fitting handguns I've ever held. Maybe the best, feels like it was made for my hand. I bought one.... and I couldn't shoot it for beans. Large frame doesn't feel near as good, I shoot it just fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just acquired a Walther PPQ 45 a few days ago. I'm a long-time 1911 guy but have been trying "alternative" 45s lately. The PPQ blows away everything else I have owned. The list of other candidates includes a Kimber Target Elite, a CZ Custom Shop CZ97B (SAO trigger, accurized), HK USP, HK MK23, etc., etc., etc.

The PPQ has the best trigger - other than my Kimber - and is easily the most accurate 45 I have shot so far. I put 4 full magazines (48 rounds) into less than 3 1/2 inches at 10 yards. I know that's not gun-writer quality shooting but for the first time shooting it with cheapo ball ammo, offhand and crappy lighting at the indoor range (which I hate), I was really happy and somewhat surprised. I would sure give one a try if I were you.

Last edited by AZtwins; 07/11/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (204guy, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,393
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.