Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Does, or did anyone ever make a push safety for the trigger guard easily used with the trigger finger close to the trigger?

I have 3 thumbhole stocks for rifles I am doing and need a safety that can be deployed with the trigger finger without taking the hand off the stock.

Before I have someone do something custom wanted to see if these are available or if someone has figured it out.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Harry Lawson from Tucson installed them in his customs years ago. His son may run the shop now.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jewell triggers used to make one, it was popular with the Highpower guys

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
Jewell triggers used to make one, it was popular with the Highpower guys

Remington 700 bottom swing safety yes, Mauser 98 no.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by MikeS
I think Harry Lawson from Tucson installed them in his customs years ago. His son may run the shop now.

Yes, he put a slide safety behind the trigger and it positively stopped rear trigger movement but someone told me these are long gone being made and he only sold them with rifles which are expensive collector items now.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The postwar Walther firm of Ulm at one time refurbishing "select" mauser 98 milsurps for rebuild into 30-06 sporters. They remarkably chose incorporating the British "Greener Cross-bolt Safety" system as retaining the traditional military striker impinging safety as well. Photos of my such Walther below. Note the prominent as well as elevated positioned from the exposed trigger. This doesn't seem to fit the bill as I conjure your requirement.

I'm unfamiliar with the Jewel trigger but the lever principle of Mauser triggers with high in action fulcrum, seems largely incompatible with such a safety placement. Such successful where trigger fulcrums were low such as the bit weird Sears Model 50 iteration of the FN Mauser action rifles of the early fifties era.

The net, my thought perhaps to be accomplished with a whole custom trigger assembly - perhaps as Jewel - but also why tang located trigger impinging safeties are the enduring winner. I recall old ads in German pre WWI era for such as Hänel 98 Sporters with curious side rotating safeties positioned like the Greener. But too an era of many aircraft experiments... That didn't fly! smile

The side note of believe I had a prior disappeared prior Post here today! This replacing.
Good Luck!
John

Attached Images
R68-2U.jpg (21.42 KB, 184 downloads)
R68-4U.jpg (22.9 KB, 183 downloads)
R68-9.jpg (28.06 KB, 183 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 07/03/23.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
That is interesting as hell! I have been messing with Mausers for over 50 years and have never seen anything like this before.

With the thumbhole stock, the safety needs to be operated down by the trigger. Believe it or not I have been looking at the SKS safety design concept setup as an alternative. That one would not be too hard to do if someone wanted to take the time to figure it out.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 07/04/23.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
As purely a mechanical problem...I see nothing but trouble. The trigger group on Mauser is pinned to the action obviously. Then if you want to have a safety mechanism which must be mounted on the guard/bottom metal. (In an original Mauser...the bottom metal is 'pillared' steel to steel to the action. The dimension and position of the bottom metal is fairly precise...hence, the old Greener side safety worked fairly well.) If there are no precision Mauser type locating pillars on your thumbhole stock...everything from screw torque to wood crush will change to some degree, the engagement of a trigger blocking type safety. IMO...everything done to modify or "improve" Mauser's design usually results in unintended consequences, that, to some degree, reduces reliability.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Flintlocke, points well made and all three of these rifles have precisely placed pillars and the actions and bottom metal fully glass bedded. My preference for a safety is a direct mechanical locking of the firing of the original Mauser design and I prefer the side swing Win 70 style. That can't be made to work with a thumbhole stock, so I am limited to locking the trigger forward not allowing rearward travel as a safety.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

Yes, he put a slide safety behind the trigger and it positively stopped rear trigger movement but someone told me these are long gone being made and he only sold them with rifles which are expensive collector items now.
Isn't this something like the SKS safety ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

Isn't this something like the SKS safety ??

kwg

Yes, the exact same concept in principle, different ways of accomplishing the same objective. The side safety blocks the rear trigger movement with a round steel slide milled for function. The SKS uses a flat sheet steel to block the rearward movement of the trigger and it is actuated by a lever instead of a push slide.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.