-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan, I have another VSSF in 22-250 with the box and paperwork, send me a PM and we can discuss it.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Sounds like you want the remington.......just a suggestion, I bought a savage 12bvss couple years ago. Laminate stock accutrigger gun in 22-250, adjusted the trigger to 1 1/2# and had the action skim bedded around the pillars. Didn't do anything else to the gun, had a total of $625 in the gun plus scope. With the load it likes best, 4064 and 50gr v maxes it will shoot sub 1/2" groups no problem. Something to consider.....

[Linked Image]

Dave

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A Savage will shoot and has a great trigger. The AccuTrigger is probably the best "production" run trigger out their.

Remington heavy barrels are also a known quanity. Everyone I have shot needed nothing but a trigger job.

A Savage rifle is just plain BUTT ugly to me. So my vanity kicks in.

Give me the looker!

GB

A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
so talk to me about lam stocks. Guys up here are saying stay away due to the cold and them cracking. Heard of this very rifle doing it. That is the reason I was choosing the fvss and the vssf II

Boy if I would have had a rifle today, called in one to 75 yards, the other was about that though I couldnt see it, had a bunch howling back at us...was a fun day in the arctic!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I couldn't comment on how the laminated hold up past the Mason Dixon line.

The jury is out for me on the laminates they are heavy for a hunting rifle but seem stiff enough. The weather down South does not seem to effect them.

If I were to place my bets, my gut would lean toward Stainless Steel and synthetic.

GB

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Mine is used in Maine, has seen some very cold weather use. So far zero complaints and zero problems. On the heavy side as stated but no problems. If you buy the fvss buy a B&C duramax or stockade/mcmillian stock. Factory stock is not stiff enough for field use,especially with a bipod. Good Shooting

A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
savage, have you used it out in 40 below? Typically, though this winter isn't proving it, our winters are COLD. average runs somewhere between -15 and -20, with a dip to -50 expected once throughout the winter. -30 and -40 are quite common. ANd yes we still go out, drive, work and play in it.

If I were to buy the fvss and go with the mcmillian Bc or any other after market stock I'd be paying the price of the remington which is still almsot 300 more then the kimber I'm inquiring about.

As for the lam stocks I'm leary of them. If it was one sole individual who told me this I'd likely blow it off. It's not, I've heard it from a few guys who are shooters, not to go with lam stocks if I plan on using it all winter.

If a cooper came with a magazine instead of singles, I'd buy one yesterday and be done.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've used mine in zero temps with no adverse reactions, we get -20/-30 temps but when its that cold I would be shooting from a shooting shack at coyotes at night and we keep the shack heated. if you have heard that laminates are not able to take the cold OK I just haven't heard that up here at all and a lot of guys use the savage factory laminates for winter coyote hunting. Zipping along on snowsleds at 40mph with it below zero should produce the temps you're talkng about. Just haven't heard or seen anybody with a savage laminate go bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a savage mod12 in 22-250 it shot fine when i got it,ijust wanted a thumbhole stock so added one,it doesn't shoot any better with the richards microfit wildcat laminated thumbhole.
it does feel a lot better. i have what many would call a cheap scope on it ,a swift 8x32x50premier.

my varmint hunting buddy has 3 remingtons,22-250,204,221fb. we have tried for 2 years now to the remingtons to shoot as good as my savage. they just won't do it,he has 3 nikon monarchs on them 6.5x20x40 i believe they are. we switch guns and still the same outcome ,the savage just shoots better.

oh, i forgot to say ,my savage is a pre accuratrigger gun. i adjust all my own savage triggers ,they work great if you it right.

Last edited by srwshooter; 12/24/07.
POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current battery is composed of:
223 Savage Sporter
25-06 Savage Tactical
7mm Mag Savage sporter
300 RUM Savage from their Custom shop
416 WBY MKV Classicmark II

I have had just about every type of rifle one can fathom including many customs. I sold them all and kept the Savages. That speaks volumes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
definatly interesting.

I picked up a savage and shot it for a week or so. The guy I was going to buy it from, mentioned 1/4" groups at 100. My best was a plus about a 1" group at 100, most were quite a bit larger then this.

This was also a pre accutriger and t he trigger was reworked. Had the matte blue receiver, stainless barrel and synthetic stock.

Hard to pass this rifle up, as at 5 bills new, it's definatly the best deal of them all.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
im a kind of guy that looks for the best deal. if i can have a great shooting rifle and a high end scope and enough ammo to get me shooting for a while ill pick that over buying a rifle for the same price that i might have to do a trigger job on. i have 4 savages right now and feel no need to buy a remington.

A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I hear ya sinman.

I already have the scope for whatever I get. Bought it a month or so ago now.

I dont mind doing a trigger job, or getting something reworked if I know what the outcome is going to be. I too hate dumping money needlessly. I think that is why I've asked and hesitated for so long on what one. Hopefully this kimber deal is going to work out. If not I'll take my 200 bucks to sportsmens and have them order me the vssf II, price hopefully will be about the same as I am getting for the kimber with that 200 off...

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I came to this thread looking for info on varmint rifles. However, esepcially in light of Pops comment :grin , I am compelled to balance out what he said. Except for perhaps a 1999, I just dumped the last Savage I'll ever own. For years I have heard about how great they shoot and how they'll outshoot Remmys. I have never seen it.

My last attempt at a Savage was a Model 10 in 308 Win. My thought was it would be a loaner rifle for deer and elk. It would HAVE to be a tack driver, right? After all, Savage action, a short action, and a 308. It shot 3+" groups at 100 yds with several different kinds of factory ammo. I won't even try to fix a rifle that shoots that poorly and won't waste my time handloading for it either.

Was that just a bad one? Probably. However, for me it was the final straw with Savage. I took a loss on the Savage and traded it toward a 95%+ 60s vintage 700 in 30-06. I consider that a huge upgrade to my "loaner rifle."

A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Bought Rons Kimber....... Shouldnt be to long before it arrives in Alaska......thanks again for all the help!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (257_X_50, 7mm_Loco, 264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,604 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,060
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.