F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by 257Bob
If that's not enough, the long range guys are using 34mm tubes...

And larger as well.

After using 34mm tubed scopes, looking through a 1” or 30mm tube seems like looking through a straw

Can you attribute that to the 34mm tube per se?

I guess so. Try it by looking at a few mounted on rifles, side by side.

I seriously doubt that. In a riflescope everything does through the erector tube inside the main tube and then the eyepiece. The erector tubes are pretty much the same diameter, around 19-20mm.

An inch tube is 25.2mm in diameter, with a wall thickness of 1-2mm, you get some adjustment range.

A 30mm tube usually has the same wall thickeness as the inch tube so you have 4.8mm more edjustment range.

Many 34mm tubes have thicker walls, maybe up to 4mm thick. So they don't have more adjustment range than the 30mm tubes, but they are far more sturdy and stable in the sun and against shocks. I would think there may be 34mm tubes than trade wall thickness for extra adjustment range, but the further you move away from the center of the first focal plane, you may encounter some IQ degradation.

The FOV is a function of the size of the eyepiece, among other things; the size of the main tube by itself, doesn't enter into it.

When you compare riflescopes, get all the specs for it. I looked at the specs for the Leupold VX-freedom series and their 1 inch tubes riflescopes have good FOV specs, right in line with the 30mm tubes of the same magnification.

No soup for you. (To coin a phrase.)

GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Blammo
DT2- the 30mm can be lightweight but if you want longer range get a 1" tube. The smaller 30 MM tube gets you less elevation clicks, the 1" gives you more elevation clicks and the apprearence of more light transmission, but you pay for it in weight. Seems like the difference is what distance are you planning to shoot and how much weight do you want to carry. Good luck!
Ive read this several times, and im still in need of an expert explanation of it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The explanation is he's got everything backwards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He’s got the right understanding, just 180 degrees opposite.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently it was written by an IA bot...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Apparently it was written by an IA bot...
I see what you did there, but that could be fitting for the IA bot known as the wabigoon too, eh?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dyslexics of the world UNTIE!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by yobuck
DT2- the 30mm can be lightweight but if you want longer range get a 1" tube. The smaller 30 MM tube gets you less elevation clicks, the 1" gives you more elevation clicks and the apprearence of more light transmission, but you pay for it in weight. Seems like the difference is what distance are you planning to shoot and how much weight do you want to carry. Good luck!
Ive read this several times, and im still in need of an expert explanation of it.

Blammo is full of immigrant sausage.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Dyslexics of the world UNTIE!

Lysdexics 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

And larger as well.

After using 34mm tubed scopes, looking through a 1” or 30mm tube seems like looking through a straw

I seriously doubt that. In a riflescope everything does through the erector tube inside the main tube and then the eyepiece. The erector tubes are pretty much the same diameter, around 19-20mm.

An inch tube is 25.2mm in diameter, with a wall thickness of 1-2mm, you get some adjustment range.

A 30mm tube usually has the same wall thickeness as the inch tube so you have 4.8mm more edjustment range.

Many 34mm tubes have thicker walls, maybe up to 4mm thick. So they don't have more adjustment range than the 30mm tubes, but they are far more sturdy and stable in the sun and against shocks. I would think there may be 34mm tubes than trade wall thickness for extra adjustment range, but the further you move away from the center of the first focal plane, you may encounter some IQ degradation.

The FOV is a function of the size of the eyepiece, among other things; the size of the main tube by itself, doesn't enter into it.

When you compare riflescopes, get all the specs for it. I looked at the specs for the Leupold VX-freedom series and their 1 inch tubes riflescopes have good FOV specs, right in line with the 30mm tubes of the same magnification.

Soup Nazi!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

IOR Valdada has some scopes with 40mm main tubes.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jason280

IOR Valdada has some scopes with 40mm main tubes.

Right, and they have a greater range of adjustment, up to 100 MOA, so the erector rube is not any larger, it just has more room in which to move. The erector tube dictates the amount of light coming to the eyepiece.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

And larger as well.

Soup Nazi!

Ah, a Seinfeld afficionado, I see.
Come back, one year!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Several things wrong here.
😂😂😂

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

Several things wrong here.
😂😂😂

If you google the body of the verbiage, Bing AI leads you to a tractoptics blog page and an accurate ordinance web page of some sort. The language cited looks virtually identical to me.

My opinion is that this poster has no credibility.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 60 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.