Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am tagging along on an Alaskan moose hunt. We will be camping 10-14 days. Today they suggested that I get a good inflatable camp pillow. The two other guys don't particularly like their pillows. Any suggestions?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah, I just bought one of those boxes of wine with a spout in them; drink the wine then flush out the inside by holding the spicket open a few times. It can be blown up like a pillow afterwords. The biiger the box the better. Peak inside the box and see that it is a plastic bladder instead of a silve myler bladdder.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought a cheap one on Amazon years ago. Still works fine

LIKE THIS

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 07/04/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve used two. Didn’t like them one bit.

What I DO like is a Dyneema stuff sack/dry bag for my sleeping bag (quilt) that then turns inside out and has a thin fleece liner on one side. Stuff some clothes into it, you got a pillow. My wife made ours but they are copies of something you can buy. In this way, you ring the bell of multi-functional gear, which is always the goal out there.

Or, stuff your puffy into the thin fleece you carry (right?) at night, great pillow. I did that for 6 weeks this spring hiking the NM CDT. Just be sure to turn the fleece inside-out so you don’t get visible drool snail trails on it. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I’ve used two. Didn’t like them one bit.

Pretty much in the same boat. They seem like a great idea but don't work out too well for me. I have a "lay flat" stuff sack which is sil-nylon on one side, some sort of velvety material on the other. I use it for my spare clothes in my pack and put enough in it for the right "loft" and use it for a pillow at night. The inflatables .. well, I sleep kind of quartered midway between side and stomach and trying to breath through something air won't go through more or less sucks. I also don't like the feel of the inflatables. So far. I haven't given up / the search continues.

Yep, the notion of multi-use gear is key to reducing weight.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The stuff sack trick is what I have always done in the past.
Sounds like it is still a very good way to go.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 2sticks

I'm telling you, the inflatable route is better.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The Klymit XL works pretty well for me. I’m a side sleeper, so I need some extra height in my pillow.

The stuff sack idea with clothing inside works okay, but tends to be too shifty for me and really needs a shirt, or something, wrapped on the outside to avoid the plastic feel on the face.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

I'm telling you, the inflatable route is better.....

With the right inflatable, not over inflated, it is - at least for me.

Sea To Summit Aeros Ultralight...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I use the Sea to summit Areos, not the ultralight. For a long time my go to was spare clothes in the stuff sack, but Over time I carry less spare clothes and sometimes use insulation layers while sleeping leaving me with a very small pillow. As a side sleeper a enough pillow is pretty important so I went for the inflatable, its not a real pillow, but works better than not.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a Klymit pillow on the way.

Thank you for the replies

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Klymit luxe pillow

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put me in the Thermarest stuff sac pillow camp. Tried several inflatables and none were tall enough for this side sleeper

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

REI has a nice sale on them. I just ordered the Pilllow X in size Regular for $19.73 to compare it to the Sea To Summit I've been using for the last four years. Might be a better mousetrap. My wife got the Large version.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a left shoulder problem. I sleep on my right side with an extra pillow against my chest to support my left arm. None of the usual camp pillows are big enough so I have an old sofa pillow that I use. I'm too old for real backpack hunting but my llamas can carry the pillow just fine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Using a stuff sack with extra clothes for a pillow is just slightly better than no pillow at all. If you bring a pillow case from home it takes up very little extra weight and is a much better surface to rest your head on as opposed to a stuff sack.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

REI has a nice sale on them. I just ordered the Pilllow X in size Regular for $19.73 to compare it to the Sea To Summit I've been using for the last four years. Might be a better mousetrap. My wife got the Large version.
Hah, I just got the Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Large to compare to my Klymit X in Large. I’m a side sleeper so the extra height will likely help.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I bought a cheap one on Amazon years ago. Still works fine

LIKE THIS

Thanks. Bought two for the kids to try. Seem better than my more expensive inflatable.

I was going to try the Outdoor Vitals for $6 and might still do that.

I actually prefer a stuff sack with clothes but don't always have enough layers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am tagging along on an Alaskan moose hunt. We will be camping 10-14 days. Today they suggested that I get a good inflatable camp pillow. The two other guys don't particularly like their pillows. Any suggestions?

Fold up your field jacket and use it.

It's also right there in the middle of the night if you need it.

GR

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 5 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.