Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I would not call it a "luxury" in my case. I'm nearly 75 now, and I don't want to deal with frozen chit in the winter. We have a NG fireplace on the first floor that will "probably" keep the house livable , but not the hot tub, of course. The garage has plumbing, and a heated slab with glycol, so that should be good for days - if the house is running, I can run hot water out there to keep the PEX thawed out, I think - and those lines have a heat tape on them anyway, should it prove necessary.

In the years I have lived here, in this house, we had one winter when it was -35F for 6 solid weeks, with at least one power outage of several hours. We had a wood/gas multi-fuel furnace at the time, so no problem! It died, and now we just have NG. Including cook stove. But blower and ignition, well pump, refrigeration, etc. need juice in the long run, if it should happen. We are in earthquake country too - just had a 4.1 a day or two ago. And then there was the 1964 Good Friday quake.....

Hope for the best, plan for the worse.

Last edited by las; 07/04/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Good bud has a Genetac, had issues with Chinese engine.

Be sure to read fine print on warranty. Seems the unit is US made, except engine.

DF

Do some research.

Engine problems on Generac aren't uncommon.
That shouldn't be.
Any decent generator engine is going to be designed to
run constantly for hours or days. And will probably very rarely run for any
amount of time. Mechanical failures on backup generators should be very rare.

Generac is a company who built their own reputation through advertising.
If one jumps into an uncrowded market and saturates it with publicity, the
unknowing public soon sees them as the #1 authority. They create a reputation
that may nor be reality.

Kohler and Onan have been building generator systems for facilities that NEED
reliable power for a long time. Since way before folks decided that no internet or A/C in their home was a serious crisis.

Before any Generac owners get butt hurt and jump to the conclusion that I own
or sell the competition, I don't.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Back when I bought my portable welder (Miller) you could get either a Koehler or Onan engine. A welder that won’t run reliably for long periods of time will not make it in the professional marketplace. Mine has a Kohler engine which, in over 25 years, has never given a moment’s trouble. It has run for days during outages and while supplying power for remote building projects and has sat for long periods, always firing right up when needed. I can’t say enough good about it. It is probably the most reliable and proven IC device I’ve ever owned.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I often thought about adding a home generator. Do they actually add anything to the value of the home?

Generally speaking, no.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run a 20k Generac with a transfer switch and had a 500 gal propane tank buried to feed it. It powers my house of about 2200 sf ft without issue. I do get it serviced twice yearly so it works when I need it.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Good bud has a Genetac, had issues with Chinese engine.

Be sure to read fine print on warranty. Seems the unit is US made, except engine.

DF

Do some research.

Engine problems on Generac aren't uncommon.
That shouldn't be.
Any decent generator engine is going to be designed to
run constantly for hours or days. And will probably very rarely run for any
amount of time. Mechanical failures on backup generators should be very rare.

Generac is a company who built their own reputation through advertising.
If one jumps into an uncrowded market and saturates it with publicity, the
unknowing public soon sees them as the #1 authority. They create a reputation
that may nor be reality.

Kohler and Onan have been building generator systems for facilities that NEED
reliable power for a long time. Since way before folks decided that no internet or A/C in their home was a serious crisis.

Before any Generac owners get butt hurt and jump to the conclusion that I own
or sell the competition, I don't.

Excellent recap and advice. That's exactly why I choose a 20kW Kohler over "others".

With the challenges associated with MLGW (think third world) many folks in the area are busy installing generators. But be careful, choose your installer carefully. A friend in Collierville had a gen installed. It took an additional 6 weeks to have the gas company and installer complete the hookup.

Don't fall for the marketing hype...

You know the area well! Propane tank are not allowed in my urban neighborhood. Natural gas already at house

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We just had a Kohler NG 20kW generator installed. Prior, I used larger portable gasoline generators. We have multiple outages per year...earlier this year we were out for 6 days. I used an authorized Kohler dealer for install. Can't comment on how well it works, power hasn't gone out since the install, but it is quiet when running on test mode. I chose Kohler based on the recommendation of a neighbor who spent many years as an engineer keeping Coldfoot AK and other AK area generators running. He highly recommended Kohler and Cummins over Generac. We are running on propane.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a 22KW Generac for 6 years now and being in hurricane country we've been without electricity for as long as 12 to 14 days at a time. So far it has been good, bought one battery, and had the positive battery connection break off one time. That has been it for problems. I change the oil once a year or if we have a power outage I change it every 100 hours of running. Use 5W30 Mobil1.

One thing about Generac units is that most of them will use oil and my neighbor up the road messed his up when he kept restarting it after it shut down automatically for low oil pressure. I shut ours down every day for about an hour and add oil if needed but most folks don't. My Generac man tells me they run at 3600 RPM.

I believe Onan and Kohler are better machines but I don't know of any dealers/installers around here and there are lots of Generac units and Generac dealers in the area.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Generac 23 KW air cooled, with the cel phone readouts and alerts, a 23 KW because it was the largest air cooled unit they made, now Generac makes a 25 KW. It is propane, clean burning, no residue, lasts lomger than gas or diesel. I have the annual matinence contract, done wirk by a certified Generac tecnician.
Suggest you call a Generac dealer and certified technition, and electrician. Have them do the entire job, switch, setup, startup (no warranty without a technician).

We have three building under power, heat, air, lights and powder. You will need battery backups for electronics to clean up the powder to co,puters, TVs, amplifiers, etc.

After Hurricane Michael we were down for 14 days straight. We have almost regular outages all during the year, so have a 30 second delay on our generator start up, out here in the woods, trees down, etc. We have two 1,000 gallon propane underground tanks, two tankless water heaters, all planned before we built the buildings.

Last edited by Rapier; 07/04/23.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
26-36k? Are you powering a small town?
I could be way wrong, but most of the full home units with transfer switch seem to be in this range - the starting draw seems to be a main factor.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hmmm

Cummins & Onan under the same roof ??

https://www.cummins.com/na/generators/home-standby

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They had a big 22kwatt one at Costco for about $5000. I'd assume an electrician could install it. I don't recall the brand, maybe Honeywell.

Bb

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have natural gas coming into my house. I assume that if there were a weather or other related power outage, the flow of natural gas would not be affected so if I hooked a back-up generator to that, I would have fuel available. What about if there were a problem with the whole electric grid? Would the natural gas still flow through the lines? Would that be an argument to have propane on hand?

Thanks for your help!

Dean

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Most all natural gas systems are completely backed up from the electric power grid. They use NG fired gas turbines as prime units to move NG through the pipelines, and NG fired generators for control and auxiliary power backup.

Last edited by Oldidaho; 07/04/23.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kudu3
I have natural gas coming into my house. I assume that if there were a weather or other related power outage, the flow of natural gas would not be affected so if I hooked a back-up generator to that, I would have fuel available. What about if there were a problem with the whole electric grid? Would the natural gas still flow through the lines? Would that be an argument to have propane on hand?

Thanks for your help!

Dean

I've never seen my NG as a SHTF scenario. It's for the common 18-36 hr power outages when it's 115 real feel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Hmmm

Cummins & Onan under the same roof ??

https://www.cummins.com/na/generators/home-standby
That's what I have seen with Onan gen sets, Cummins powered.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a ‘04 Generac on propane and no issues, but both Generac’s I know of installed in the last 5yrs had engine issues.

Anything I install going forward would have a Cummins logo on it.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldidaho
Most all natural gas systems are completely backed up from the electric power grid. They use NG fired gas turbines as prime units to move NG through the pipelines, and NG fired generators for control and auxiliary power backup.

Not so much anymore.

The blackout in Texas blew up over this issue.

Obama's folks pushed EPA crap, and the Permian Basin fields and pipelines
went to electricity.

When they started rolling blackouts to lessen the pressure on generation plants,
no one had thought to give the Basin priority due to those NG fields.

Turned the power off to the NG pumps!!!
Gas stopped, NG generation plants died!

Talk about screwing the pooch.

Buddy's church is gonna build a new church. A big hangup is getting power to it.
He recently told me that's taken care of now. The gas wells that are nearby have to
install electric pumps to meet requirements. New lines will need run on church
land.

Holy crap.
They know what happened in Texas, now we are copying the situation.
Plus, we shut down our third coal plant near hear in a few years.
Nothing has been built to replace them either.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EQFD193
I run a 20k Generac with a transfer switch and had a 500 gal propane tank buried to feed it. It powers my house of about 2200 sf ft without issue. I do get it serviced twice yearly so it works when I need it.

My house is about the same size but I think I'll wait till I buy my next one in TN to install the first generator in that one.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Any of you know anything about Briggs & Stratton home generators?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kudu3

Thanks for your help!

Dean
Yes - nat gas hookup good for backup.

But, if a big electrical breakdown, the nat gas flow might be disrupted.

Yes, would work to have a propane tank for further backup.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,225 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.