Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Got a batch of 270 win. nickel cases recently. Once fired and deprimed. Ran them thru the sizing die. Tried backing the die off a bit but case fit in the chamber was tight. Did a full length resize. I was only working with 9 cases, some were still snug when closing the bolt. First time I have used nickel.
Rifle is an older savage 110, LH. No problems with brass cases. Confused that fully resized cases won't fit the chamber like the brass does. Also tried shortening a couple to 2.520 trim length. Didn't help.
What are your experience with nickel? Both the brass and nickel are Winchester. Purchased at the same time from the same seller.

HR IC

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've had issues with nickel-plated brass and reloading; it seems like it has a lot more spring-back than regular brass, and after a few trips through the nickel tends to start peeling away from the case mouth.

If you have a shoulder comparator, you can check the nickel-plated brass against regular brass that chambers normally and see how much difference there is.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just bump another turn. They should load just like brass. The alloy is harder and probably heavier as well. Nickle plate is harder to work with brass IME.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Was it fired in another rifle than yours the first time? If so it may be too large right down at the base where sizing dies don't always touch. If you have a .45 pistol die you might try pulling the decapper and running them through the sizer.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It was fired in a different rifle. Don't have a 45 pistol die tho. I have a comparator and calipers. I'll do some measuring.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nickle plated brass needs sizing die set down further than straight brass.
Full length size down until just fits chamber of your gun and good to go.
Nickle is harder than brass.
Looks cool but takes a little extra attention. Once sized to your chamber it
should last for many firings.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My problem with nickle plated brass is that primer pockets go oversize faster than those in unplated brass. 300wm, 270,and 7mmrem mag. I've quit using it.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've thrown all mine out as well. Its a huge PITA

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The only rifle I use nickel plated brass in is for my custom .280 Rem. which I load pretty darn hot. I haven't had any problems with it and none of the complaints I'm always hearing about. Brass is Winchester brand FWIW. A close look at the "plating" looks more like a wash than an actual plating.

I did have some Remington plated brass in 7x57 that I sold quite a few years back and the plating of that brass was apparently quite thick. It also was a hell of a lot shinier, almost like a mirror. The Winchester brass seems to have a bit duller sheen.
PJ

Last edited by PJGunner; 07/05/23.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SlickLizard
My problem with nickle plated brass is that primer pockets go oversize faster than those in unplated brass. 300wm, 270,and 7mmrem mag. I've quit using it.

Probably just added a little more pressure, having a heavier case due to the coating.

Back off your max load a grain or so would probably solve that problem.

I do that with nickel brass, and don't seem to have any problems. I get adequate brass life out of nickel the same as I do regular brass...

always thought a little prudence on the powder scale, produces longevity gains on brass life. its never proven me wrong yet.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,784
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.