Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Originally Posted by Ward
Subtract what it would cost to have someone run the business from the profits. The blue sky value is based on this excess. Businesses where personal loyalty is important aren't worth as much as a business that is transactional in nature.

LOL

This is why purchased businesses fail.

The purchaser doesn’t know how to run it or wants to have anything to do with running it , hands on. They think owning a business is glamorous and guarantees income

Fuqking hilarious!

Read the whole post, he's correct.
Regarding price of business.
Many people own businesses and don't run / work there. As said before , then it's owning your job.

It’s absolutely correct

If you don’t want to work, don’t have the knowledge, don’t want to maximize profit

Once again, used in determining purchase price or value of business only !

Figured it would go over your head.
I knew better, but I tried anyway.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Subtract what it would cost to have someone run the business from the profits. The blue sky value is based on this excess. Businesses where personal loyalty is important aren't worth as much as a business that is transactional in nature.

LOL

The purchaser doesn’t know how to run it or wants to have anything to do with running it , hands on. They think owning a business is glamorous and guarantees income

Fuqking hilarious!

Many people own businesses and don't run / work there. As said before , then it's owning your job.

It’s absolutely correct

If you don’t want to work, don’t have the knowledge, don’t want to maximize profit

Determining the value of a business is solely on cash flow you Fuqking moron

How it will be run after it’s purchased has no bearing dipshidt

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LOL

Fuqking hilarious!

It’s absolutely correct

Big difference between cash flow you have to work 80 hrs a week for and cashflow that requires 2 hrs a week of work. And value will reflect that.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar

LOL

Fuqking hilarious!

It’s absolutely correct

Big difference between cash flow you have to work 80 hrs a week for and cashflow that requires 2 hrs a week of work. And value will reflect that.

Determining the value of a business is based on previous years cash flow. If the guy has been banking 6 figures in profits over the last 5 years, the value will be some multiple of that

If a buyer changes the way the business is run and increases his costs by having to hire someone to run it for him, that’s totally on him

Dumbfuqk

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LOL

Fuqking hilarious!

It’s absolutely correct

Determining the value of a business is based on previous years cash flow. If the guy has been banking 6 figures in profits over the last 5 years, the value will be some multiple of that

If a buyer changes the way the business is run and increases his costs by having to hire someone to run it for him, that’s totally on him

Dumbfuqk

I guess your labor has no value?
I would pay more for a business that cashflows without my labor.... buying a job isn't a good gig... but hey you seem to like it.... hahahhahahahaha

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You’re a Tard, Rick.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some business's are more valuable than others due to many things , such as real estate involved, franchises, maybe a liquor license etc.... it's not as simple as just "cashflow"
Some cash flow comes at a much higher price...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So your building, real estate, furniture, equipment, dishes, supplies,electronics..... etc.
Would be free to someone buying your restaurant? You would give that away?
Your sales price would be "SOLELY" on cash flow?

Roy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess your labor has no value?
I would pay more for a business that cash flows without my labor.... buying a job isn't a good gig.

Good advice for the OP. (again)

Roy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So your building, real estate, furniture, equipment, dishes, supplies,electronics..... etc.
Would be free to someone buying your restaurant? You would give that away?
Your sales price would be "SOLELY" on cash flow?

Rick would want us to believe a family restaurant in a leased building that net $ 500k a year would have the same value as say a McDonalds that net the same yet included real estate and a franchise.... and he calls us dumbfucks

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you buying a business or buying a job?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would have to see the numbers. That industry won’t have too much loyalty to the original owner unless you turn out to be an idiot.

What’s wrong with buying a job? Everyone who went to university did the same thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I would have to see the numbers. That industry won’t have too much loyalty to the original owner unless you turn out to be an idiot.

What’s wrong with buying a job? Everyone who went to university did the same thing.

Ask people who have bought jobs, then turn out hating the job.... they will tell you

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another example for Rick.... lets say a guy has a one man machine shop, that is specialized and the owner is highly skilled... he nets $500k a year and he wants to retire, will it have the same value as a general machine shop with several employee's that nets the same?
I think not

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lroy, alwaysacundt, and fubar are either government employees or swinging dicks employed by someone much more intelligent than them, which isn’t any great feat. Obviously no experience owning or running a business

OP,

Consult with a qualified business broker

👍🏼

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Evidently every business dosen't keep a balance sheet.

Roy

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Run from it, enjoy retirement.

Old guy, old guns.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Look at the numbers and see if it generates the return on your investment that you want. If you have the time, money, and have a history of success I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Liking to work and make money is a plus too.

A one man operation generating cash with no employees is a good place to be right now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would only buy a small business I worked at for a long time and most of the customers knew me.

I get into some businesses sales in my commercial real estate sales and leasing career. I do not sell businesses just the real estate portion of them. Most people over pay and have more expenses than the original owner. Many businesses have customers that are there because of the owner. Once they are gone customers get poached by competition and the new owners have no idea how to build the business back up because they haven't worked in that businesses.

Many have SBA loans to pay for the business. Some business's have long term relationship with their landlords so cheap rent. As soon as there is a new owner rents are raised to market. Make sure you have long term lease or renewal rights especially if your business is geographically dependent on the current location.

Theres a lot of things your attorney will not know to look at. If you have worked there as a manager, know the customers , then your chances are much better of making a go of it. Not trying to be a downer here but most small business that are purchase dont make it. For many reasons.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Interesting discussion. For me, I wouldn’t buy a small business unless it was something I had interest in doing. Some skill and knowledge in the field would be helpful too.

I agree with getting expert advice to determine the value. These transactions have been going on forever, so there is a process for them. IMO, a one man service business is worth the value of the hard assets plus some fee for “goodwill”. Often the owner overestimates that value. Sometimes the prior owner would stay on a bit to help with transition. If the market there is really good, then a new startup on your own can also make sense. A nice, hardworking guy can grow a business quickly if he hustles. Good work done on time is fairly rare today.

I kind of agree with those who say you’re buying a job. It might be a great idea but don’t overpay. My small professional business has a pretty small value if I’m not there. If the owner works the business, there is mor than simple cash flow to consider. Good luck to the OP with his venture.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.