Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Me and the family (3 of us) are flying out to Arizona for a week-long vacation in a few weeks. We need some recommendations on things to do and see while we are there.
I lived in Tucson back in the early 90's and traveled all over the state installing and maintaining weather stations for the government and got to see much of the state and lots of interesting things and places. But, I would like some reminders and tips on what to be sure to go see while we are there.
We will be flying into Phoenix and the first full day plan to drive to Tucson to revisit our old stomping grounds, see the Arizona-Sonora desert museum, and possibly drive to the top of Mt. Lemmon. Then back towards Phoenix and up through Sedona, Flagstaff, and eventually to the Grand Canyon. I would like to show my daughter some of the cliff dwellings such as Canyon de Chelly or similar while we are out there. Of course, we WON'T be heading down to Nogales like we used to do in the 90's due to the cartel b.s. that is rampant along the border nowadays. Even in the 90's it could get sketchy at times.
What are some must-see things that we should do while we are out there?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Titan missile museum

Heard Pima air museum is good

San Xavier del Bac mission, always mean to stop in there too.

Meteor Crater was awesome, went as a kid.

Last edited by plumbum; 07/05/23.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great cliff dwelling at Montezuma's Castle on the way to Sedona. Jerome is nice to see. Drive up Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona to Flag. Grand Canyon, meteor crater up there. Etc, etc, etc..

If you stay in the Tucson area there are the caverns, Tombstone, the wine country outside of Tombstone, etc.....

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by g5m
Great cloff dwelling at Montezuma's Castle on the way to Sedona. Jerome is nice to see. Drive up Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona to Flag. Grand Canyon, meteor crater up there. Etc, etc, etc..

If you stay in the Tucson area there are the caverns, Tombstone, the wine country outside of Tombstone, etc.....
I don't remember the caverns in Tucson (maybe there was something just southeast of the city? I can't recall).
And I thought Tombstone was the lamest trip I ever went on.
Thanks for reminding me of Montezuma's Castle - like you say, it's on the way to Sedona and I remember going there way back when.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dude. It's July

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Walk around the Superstition Mountains looking for a gold mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Visit Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona, for World-Class Stargazing
video description:
"Named one of “The World’s 100 Most Important Places” by Time Magazine, Lowell Observatory is a world-class destination for stargazing and astronomical advancement under the International Dark Skies of Flagstaff, Arizona, just two hours south of the Grand Canyon. Lowell has been a pillar of research since 1894, leading to the discovery of Pluto; evidence of the expanding universe; lunar mapping for the Apollo missions; and new research with its Lowell Discovery Telescope, the 5th-largest in the continental US. Its historic campus allows guests to enjoy science talks and demos, six advanced telescopes, the historic Clark telescope and Pluto dome, and private stargazing."
video posted to YouTube on Apr 11, 2023

video posted to YouTube on Jan 13, 2023

Lowell Observatory
https://lowell.edu/

Cheers! Bob F. smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
IF you are in the NEIGHBORHOOD, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest!

July

Arizona

As they say, BUT it's a dry heat.

Joking aside, STAY HYDRATED.

Last edited by LouisB; 07/05/23.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Dude. It's July

This is what I was thinking. I’d be looking for some sub-80 degree weather.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Walnut Canyon National Monument about 10 miles southeast of downtown Flagstaff off of I-40 is a pretty cool place.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
After getting to Phoenix, head north and stay north...

Kent

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Bearizona in Williams is pretty cool. Drive through wildlife park. I’m a little biased as it is my brother in law’s business. Black bears, grizzlies, wolves. Great otter display. Jaguars. He has put his entire life into the place.

Mike
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BFaucett

Visit Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona, for World-Class Stargazing
video description:
"Named one of “The World’s 100 Most Important Places” by Time Magazine, Lowell Observatory is a world-class destination for stargazing and astronomical advancement under the International Dark Skies of Flagstaff, Arizona, just two hours south of the Grand Canyon. Lowell has been a pillar of research since 1894, leading to the discovery of Pluto; evidence of the expanding universe; lunar mapping for the Apollo missions; and new research with its Lowell Discovery Telescope, the 5th-largest in the continental US. Its historic campus allows guests to enjoy science talks and demos, six advanced telescopes, the historic Clark telescope and Pluto dome, and private stargazing."
video posted to YouTube on Apr 11, 2023

video posted to YouTube on Jan 13, 2023

Lowell Observatory
https://lowell.edu/

Cheers! Bob F. smile

Haha, know it well. Just below there was "make out point". Spent quite a few nights there in the cab of a 76 Datsun and 84 toyota pickup getting more action than I probably should have! Fun times. Pluto was discovered there. As were the benefits of bench seats in a pickup!

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Dude. It's July

THIS. It was 117 on July 4th in Mesa.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LouisB
IF you are in the NEIGHBORHOOD, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest!

July

Arizona

As they say, BUT it's a dry heat.

Joking aside, STAY HYDRATED.
Understood. Like I said, I lived in AZ 30 years ago so I'm familiar with the climate there. And I'm a retired meteorologist.
Having suffered through the past week's 95+ temps and sweltering humidity here in eastern North Carolina, I'm actually looking forward to some dry heat for a change.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guys, I'm a retired METEOROLOGIST, and worked in Arizona as a meteorologist.
I have to go in the summer because my wife is a school teacher and has the summer off and my daughter is on summer break from college. Plus, it's less crowded this time of the year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll give you one tourist trap to avoid: that glass walkway over the Grand canyon run by the tribes. Total ripoff. Not only are the tickets expensive, but you can't drive to it. They force you to park a couple miles away and then ride an expensive bus to the thing.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'll give you one tourist trap to avoid: that glass walkway over the Grand canyon run by the tribes. Total ripoff. Not only are the tickets expensive, but you can't drive to it. They force you to park a couple miles away and then ride an expensive bus to the thing.
Thanks a bunch for that advice. 👍

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Heard Museum in Phoenix is worth a visit. The restaurant there is quite unique also.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MD521
The Heard Museum in Phoenix is worth a visit. The restaurant there is quite unique also.
BEST suggestion yet. Bisbee is interesting if you like artsy. Wickenburg is pretty nice (old west vibe) and I personally like Prescott. Handloader and Rifle used to be headquartered there. A LOT of gunshops and not a few custom makers.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.