-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
while it is not the answer to your question, I carry a small isobutane stove and a 2cup pot and coffee,cocoa, oatmeal and mtn house meals when I hunt. I pack about 1.5lbs of cooking gear and dry goods on a hunt, I eat very well. it takes 3 minutes to heat and be eating oatmeal in the woods. if you have a second cup you can have a cup of coffee/cocoa/tea/cider with it. for lunch another cup of water and a mtn house meal and there is no reason to leave the field. just take 15 miutes of you day to cook/eat and continue hunting.

for the nay sayers that think that cooking inyou huntin grounds is gonna ruin a hunt, I shot super respectable bull 10 minutes into our lunch sesion.

I say cook it in the woods. after all your cook gear and food is lighter and more compact than a thermos.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like all of your likes but not for the woods. why dom't you buy HEATER MEALS -need no stove, but piping hot meals.

www.heatermeals.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cdhunt
I like all of your likes but not for the woods. why dom't you buy HEATER MEALS -need no stove, but piping hot meals.

www.heatermeals.com

for me it would be bulk, weight and I don't want to haul stinky garbage out of the woods. I keep all my dry stuff in a ziplock bag, I have to carry water anyhow, mtnhouse have a zip top so they don't stink and when they are consumed they take up as much space as a sheet of paper.

add that some times it is nice to huddle around the stove to get warm, or if you need to start a fire it is pretty tough to beat a stove for getting a fire going.....just me though.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

GEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!! I can see going to a lot of trouble for hot grits, but OATMEAL???????? shocked

Spend more time on the Food Network!!!!!!!!!!! Spend less time on the Outdoor Channel. grin

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Dear corporal cleg,

For one who takes eating as seriously as you do, I can't see how you could live with oatmeal that had been cooked some hours previously. I suggest that you prepare your meal on site. By doing so, you would also be able to use your fine tableware, and thus not upset your delicate sensibilities. The cost of a fine table setting is surely just a few hundred dollars.

Since those that take eating seriously usually take cooking seriously, I'd think that you would need to make a modest investment in a portable kitchen. While not the equivalent to the equipment found in 4 star restaurants, one must be prepared to make sacrifices. I would think that a few thousand dollars would cover the cost of this equipment. Stove, cookware, coolers etc do add up.

Of course, you'll then need a vehicle to transport this kitchen to your hunting site. Those with refined tastes would not be satisfied with any any run of the mill vehicle. I'm thinking something along the lines of an Argo 8x8. Fully outfitted, this could set you back a few tens of thousand dollars, but costs such as these are typical of the burdens one must bear, no?

At last, you'll be fully equipped to dine in the style to which you are accustomed, while out in the woods. However, there remains the difficulty of setting up the kitchen, cooking, and hunting simultaneously. There is also the noise and the scents produced while cooking. And it dawns upon me that one would also need fine music to go with ones meal. So now we're looking at several vehicles to transport a chef, musicians, roustabouts, and several soundproof and scent-proof shelters. When all is said, I now think you're looking at several hundred thousand dollars in annual costs for the equipment and needed personnel. But it's not like you can take money with you when you pass. So the price will just need to be paid. I certainly understand, and I'm sure that many here are also sympathetic to your plight. Then there is will be the eternal gratitude you will have from those you employ. A win all around.

Most sincerely,
Scott

It is kind of a drag to have to take previously cooked oat meal in the woods, but when hunting you have to make sacrifices, so Ill tolerate the inconvenience of already cooked oatmeal. Besides it is kind of fun- I imagine myself as a barbarian or philistine- forsaking the finer and necessary things in life, and opting instead to go with the bare necessities, roughing my way through the hunt, eating in a way I imagine our ancestors once did. Gotta go basic, to fully enjoy and understand the primitive experience. No stoves, kitchens,etc- just a thermos full of oatmeal, and the necessary tableware, linens, to eat my food proper. BORN TO BE WILD!
As far as shelter-I ONLY bring a big beach umbrella (camo, of course). It works well to keep the sun off of me, and also works well when it is raining.It also makes good for when mother nature calls-a proper wash room cant be found in the wild, so the big umbtrella provides me with the privacy one needs when resting. A perfect shelter for a wild outdoorsman! As far as entertainment-fortunately I am a musician, so it is unecessary to hire anyone to provide my musical entertainment when dining in the woods. While dining, I usually listen to Beethovens sixth symphony, in my head of course. It is the perfect accompaniment for a nice meal in the bush.
After the symphony is finished, and my meal is finished, and i have washed my utensils, and ironed and folded my linens, I enjoy reciting a little bit of Tennyson, or maybe Goethe-depends on the mood I am in.
Of course my routine is very different when dining properly, but in the woods you just have to rough it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bravo sir! I salute your willingness to make sacrifices in the name of the hunt.

So, in that vein, I have seen double walled glass and stainless bowls that are about the right size for oatmeal. These are designed to reduce heat transfer, thus keeping warm food warm and cold food cold. I also have made insulated covers for Nalgene bottles out of ensolite foam and duct tape. Hot water placed in one of these would stay warm for hours, even in 0 degree weather.

In fact, a web search for double wall bowl produced this:

http://www.homeclick.com/web/catalo...amp;cid=F696FD200EDF9A40A0960A06899B274C

Regards,
Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow. I love it. Rich beyond comprehension.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're either going to love this or think I'm an idiot but here goes. Wrap your food as you would normally (nice container for oatmeal)... Pack it in a soft cooler. Here's the weird/brilliant part. Throw in a hot potato or two wrapped in tin foil. They stay hot a long time, and may help keep the other stuff hot too. You can pop them in the reefer and reheat them next time, or if you get hungry out there, you can eat them.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just have your bearers carry a stove and pots and china along. Have the cook whip you up a meal right there in the field.

Or get a Pocket Rocket or similar stove, a 1 liter hard anodized pot by Primos (fuel tank fits nicely in there) and cook the stuff in the woods. I do that for lunch on snowy or rainy days. I eat ramen with a pouch of tuna, and then make coffee. Keeps me going better and in the field longer.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a bump so I can find one of the best posts I've seen.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good God Almighty!

What kind of idiot- (I didn't say that - smile ) are you?

Food is fuel for hunting. Period. A can of cold beans and bacon works as well as hot steak and potatoes ( OK- frozen isn't so good)- and is a lot more efficient. I do admit to throwing the can of beans into the fire for a few minutes, however..... smile )

Hunting is hunting. Party hunting (IMO - BTDT- is more about party than hunting) Party hunting tends to encourage meal prep at the expense of actual hunting. My philosophy follows:

Eat enough calories, hot or cold. If you want delicatesant - stay in town.

Keep your feet happy.

Sleep warm (preferably dry, also)

All else is academic if you are a serious hunter, rather than a socialite hunter.

To each his own....

(Note: I might be a bit more 'basic' than some)...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
A can of cold beans and bacon works as well as hot steak and potatoes...

Clearly, steak night is differenter in your camp than ours! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 700LH
Eat your oatmeal before you head out. Eat easy to carry stuff while out there.
Are you serious about "appropriate table wear" out hunting?

You took the words right out of my mouth. Now coffee.....that's another story

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Y'all know this thread is 3-1/2 years old....right? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
Just have your bearers carry a stove and pots and china along. Have the cook whip you up a meal right there in the field.

Good help is so hard to come by these days!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Y'all know this thread is 3-1/2 years old....right? smile

I didn't notice, but the issue of hot oatmeal is timeless.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Always gotta keep your eyes open for innovations in maintenance of oatmeal temperature...anything less would be uncivilized.

(picture the "World's Most Interesting Man" Dos Equis commercial)... I rarely eat oatmeal...but when I do, I prefer hot oatmeal and appropriate tableware.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Whatever containment vessel you use for your oatmeal make sure to preheat it with boiling water first. That's my tip even if it is a 3 1/2 year old thread. laugh

Last edited by RS308MX; 07/18/11.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Stay classy, ShootDogs.

Originally Posted by ShootDogs
Originally Posted by corporal cleg
I need something to put my breakfast in, and keep it hot(at least warm)while hunting. I need a container that would hold a couple of servings of oatmeal. I got some Alladin brand thing and it stinks. Id rather have something "bowl like" as opposed to a coffee thermos with a wide mouth. I take eating seriously, and appropriate tableware is very important to me. I wouldnt eat oatmeal out of a cup, and I sure as hell dont want to eat it out of a coffee thermos. I almost broke my teeth on a bowl of frozen oatmeal. Any help would be appreciated.

Whay don't you just put your oatmeal in a nice Swarvoski crystal decanter, sealed with wax, then shove it up the arse of that high horse you're on...that'll keep it warm enough that you should be able to pour it into a nice china bowl, take the silver spoon out of your mouth and have no issues with chipping your teeth.

I can only hope you're joking; hence the similar reply. If not...get over yourself, ya pompous arse! Hunting breakfast, if you want to save weight--which you probably don't need to, "hunting" through the windshield of your Escalade, is oatmeal brewed in your coffee, eaten with a plastic spoon from your aluminum coffee cup. Coffee and oatmeal all at once. That's efficiency!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like one is more interested in fine dining than hunting. Get a backpack and carry a stove and some cooking gear.

I eat in camp and then waste about 40 minutes waiting for enough light so I don't over run elk in the dark.

1Minute
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,343
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.