Print Thread
Hop To
#18561152 07/06/23
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I saw this fly spray mix on another web site and thought I would pass it on. Seems to work pretty good on my mules.

Two cups of Pinesol, Lemon Scented
Two cups white vinegar
Two cups Listerine, mint flavored

Put in a 1 gallon sprayer and top off to one gallon with water.

Works out to about $3.50/gallon depending on where you buy every thing.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gotta be better than Avon’s skin so soft!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I also switch from a mineral salt block to a sulfur salt block when fly season starts. Flies won't bother the mules as much. Don't use cow sulfur block that has urea in it though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Does it work on blackflies? That's our major problem here.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mosquitoes are our primary horse pest. I mix RepelX and apply it with a saturated rag.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have very few skeeters. I can go for weeks between bites. Our big summertime bug is those miserable black flies. They breed in the irrigation ditches which are everywhere. They drive the animals nuts. Everywhere you look you'll see horses with fly masks. My problem is that no one makes masks for llamas. They have to live with them.
I might give Saddlesore's recipe a try and just wipe it on.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Lot of mosquitoes this year with all the rain. I don't know what you call black flies, but we get grey ones about 3/4"long that really hurt when they bite. Seems to be more prevalent after moisture and a big warm up. This mixture seems to keep them off.

Really just started using it. I spray before I turn them out in the AM and again in the afternoon when I bring them in.

I have used Espree Aloe Herbal fly spray concentrate for years. A gallon makes five gallons, but it has gone up to $70 a gallon and really doesn't work real well..

$3.50 a gallon is a lot better than $15 a gallon that works better.

I sue Off for mosquitoes around their heads.My mules will tear a fly mask off

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Black flies are sometimes called buffalo gnats. They're a very small biting fly that breed in moving water like streams or irrigation ditches.

[Linked Image from extension.entm.purdue.edu]

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Black flies are sometimes called buffalo gnats. They're a very small biting fly that breed in moving water like streams or irrigation ditches.

[Linked Image from extension.entm.purdue.edu]

Don't have them here

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for posting that recipe! Gonna try it out!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Update. I have mixed up a gallon and used about half of it . Flies got very bad. Sad to say, this stuff doesn't work as well as I was told. I'd appreciate any feed back anyone has.

F
F
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Update. I have mixed up a gallon and used about half of it . Flies got very bad. Sad to say, this stuff doesn't work as well as I was told. I'd appreciate any feed back anyone has.

We buy permethrin concentrate (13%) and mix 5 oz to a gallon of water. Comes out to about a 0.5% mix if i remember right. We spray down the horse stall floors, before mucking, every evening when flies get bad, as well as the manure piles i the close pasture area. Seems to work quite well. When it gets really bad, usually one or two hot stretches in the summer, we will spray down the walls and underside of the hay loft as well. any resting places the flies sit on and within a couple days it is back under control. Permethrin leaves a residue that will continue to repel and maybe kill too? We do not spray feed buckets or water containers with it, just the bedding and manure before mucking.

I believe you can use it on the animals too at that concentration, but would have to double check. A quart of the concentrate is about $25 and makes 6 gallons of mix.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most home remedies don't. The same goes for cures for your ailments. If they worked that well, there would be no need for commercial products and those would disappear from the market.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Frozentexan

We buy permethrin concentrate (13%) and mix 5 oz to a gallon of water. Comes out to about a 0.5% mix if i remember right. We spray down the horse stall floors, before mucking, every evening when flies get bad, as well as the manure piles i the close pasture area. Seems to work quite well. When it gets really bad, usually one or two hot stretches in the summer, we will spray down the walls and underside of the hay loft as well. any resting places the flies sit on and within a couple days it is back under control. Permethrin leaves a residue that will continue to repel and maybe kill too? We do not spray feed buckets or water containers with it, just the bedding and manure before mucking.

I believe you can use it on the animals too at that concentration, but would have to double check. A quart of the concentrate is about $25 and makes 6 gallons of mix.
Permethrin and keep some Golden Malrin around to kill the flies. I have seen them eat the Golden Malrin and die right inside of the lid/pan/plate or whatever you have the bait in.

It is the real deal.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
F
F
some Golden Malrin around to kill the flies. I have seen them eat the Golden Malrin and die right inside of the lid/pan/plate or whatever you have the bait in.

It is the real deal.[/quote]

I haven't used golden malrin before. Do i need to be careful using it if there are barn cats around or anything?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
some Golden Malrin around to kill the flies. I have seen them eat the Golden Malrin and die right inside of the lid/pan/plate or whatever you have the bait in.

It is the real deal.

I haven't used golden malrin before. Do i need to be careful using it if there are barn cats around or anything?[/quote]
Maybe put it where they can't get it themselves.

You would have to study up on it though. Have used/seen it used around dogs but they weren't vacuuming up the dead flies though

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

It is the real deal.

I haven't used golden malrin before. Do i need to be careful using it if there are barn cats around or anything?[/quote]

Bad for dogs and small pets if they eat it.

A lot of products kill flies. I am looking for a spray for equines that doesn't take a bank loan to use

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/14/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is the real deal.

I haven't used golden malrin before. Do i need to be careful using it if there are barn cats around or anything?

Bad for dogs and small pets if they eat it.

A lot of products kill flies. I am looking for a spray for equines that doesn't take a bank loan to use[/quote]
Look here.

https://www.starbarproducts.com/all-products?f=Type%20of%20Control:Sprays

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/14/23.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I heard about something called Tempo (I think). Came recommended from a generally reliable source. I have no personal knowledge.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,621
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.