Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
If you play and instrument, how old were you when you started, what did you play, and what was the first song/tune you mastered?

Me? Guitar, 15 years old, House of the Rising Sun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Piano, about 9, I have 'mastered' none....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The long gun.

The Battle of New Orleans.

Otherwise, I'm real musical. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Guitar. Age 17. Bob Seger’s “Still the Same”.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OK then, what prompted you fellas to dive into that? Me? My older brother started picking a 5-string banjo when I was about 13. Never imagined we would be dueling, but there ya have it. Another tune that wet my imagination was called "Pipeline" by the Ventures.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
9, 4th grade, violin, twinkle twinkle little star is what they start you with.

My parents were square dancers, they wanted me to be a fiddler, I could fiddle but had zero interest in square dance playing.

High School orchestra was in the top nationally, won a competition in San Francisco, came in second a couple others. Pretty much dropped it after that, my daughter took violin in school so helped her in that but that was it.

About 14 or 15 I started playing the guitar, easy enough from playing the violin. Only progressed enough to make the girls smile and that was good enough. Probably first song was John Denver's country roads, a lot of CCR.

Still can play the guitar enough to make the girls smile, started the niece and granddaughter playing, but they've seemed to stall out, need to get back after them, I'm rusty myself.

Kent

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Fourth grade (10?), alto saxophone. Twinkle twinkle little star.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Age 5. Started drum lessons with the guy who would be my 6th grade teacher

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Listen to rock music. If you dont want to play an instrument you have no soul.

Its not unlike going fishing once and not wanting to fish, or seeing your dad and uncles hunt and not getting the itch to be a hunter.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4th grade, percussion. 6th grade drum set. John Cougar "Jack and Diane"

Because drums are awesome and loud.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If you play and instrument, how old were you when you started, what did you play, and what was the first song/tune you mastered?

Me? Guitar, 15 years old, House of the Rising Sun.

Guitar, maybe 7-8, mastered nothing but the volume knob .. and it's got 11!! I never had access to competent teachers 'til I didn't have time to make use of them. I just crank it up, do something that sounds reasonably like something that might be something, and call it good. Seems a waste but I guess it is my waste. I can't really quit. Sometimes I get in f**ked up head space and loud guitar is the only way to express it.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was about 8 the Pastor asked me to sing solo one Sunday.

Paul, please sing solo I and the rest of the congregation can't hear you..........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Electric bass, but I never mastered it like Clyde. Guitar - never very good, but I could read music. Trumpet - started to get good, then got braces.

I haven't played any of them in decades, but I do still have a Fender Jazz bass and a Peavy Bass amp. I've been threatening to pick it up again for years.

I've also got a banjo, but I never learned to play it.

Daughter is 13 and started on the fiddle 2 years ago. She's gotten very good. She also started playing the piano about a year ago. She also wants to learn the guitar or bass and she'll be starting percussion next school year.

Some people are musically inclined and can play most any instrument. Some are not. I was never one of them, but I tried. I'm happy my daughter has excelled with her violin. The ex and I just bought her a very nice, high-dollar one, which she loves.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around 9 or 10 years old my parents made me take piano lessons. Hated the lessons and teacher. Couple years later my uncle showed me how to play by ear. Also play a little guitar and harmonica.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not a musician but played cornet in junior high school. Probably chose that because my Dad played it. Younger brother played trumpet in the USMC band for 4 years, which I understand is quite an accomplishment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In about 3rd or 4th grade they had us buy a Flutophone (plastic deal) for about 15 cents and then had the whole brigade learn some simple tunes. I liked it. Yankee Doodle stands out in memory.

4th grade started on a really bad clarinet but could make it sound decent because I liked it and kept it going, played in beginner band, etc. 9th grade got a hand-me-down cheap alto sax and learned that - entry to jazz stuff. Before leaving HS had gotten a pretty good clarinet and branched out on my own to learn French Horn, Trombone and Bass Viol. Had started experimenting writing some arrangements to play with other students and got to conduct one nice standard piece at a HS band concert. All a launching pad.

Studied and practiced hard, got some fine woodwind instruments, listened heavily and learned to analyze/write etc. When first married we were students and fairly poor, and electric bass players were in high demand. Went to a pawn shop in Philly and found a Fender P bass and Ampeg amp cheap, just off pawn hold, and had all of the good paying club/party/dance jobs I could stand. Things just kept going and growing - teaching, performing everything from sublime to ridiculous, conducting, composing/arranging, keyboards, etc. Long run - much enjoyment - winding down.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray
Not a musician but played cornet in junior high school. Probably chose that because my Dad played it. Younger brother played trumpet in the USMC band for 4 years, which I understand is quite an accomplishment.
If he played in THE USMC in DC, that is quite an accomplishment.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Piano at 5 years old. My older sister played but I don’t recall that being an influence. I just knew I wanted to learn music. First song was some kids song like Mary had a little lamb. I majored in music education in college and still play for my own enjoyment today at age 69. For some of us music is as much a part of our make up as the attraction to outdoor activities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My bride started when she was 4. Came home from a funeral and her Grandmother wanted to know who was playing the piano? She was playing amazing grace.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Maybe 17 or 18, Bass Guitar. First song was likely something Credence, maybe Proud Mary.
Playing to nite with an Alembic bass plugged into a Marshall amp.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,411
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.