Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
244 days after application, our GSL Woodland 22 suppressor has been rescued from Treasury jail.
We promptly took it home and put 150 rounds through the 22/45 Lite and 25 through the Bergara BMR. Nice, very nice.
There’s a small amount of first round pop, it’s barely noticeable but it’s there.
Our Silencerco Hybrid 46 is temporarily stuck due to an error on the serial number on the Form 4. The ATF agent sent an email giving us 48 hours to fix it. We resubmitted the paperwork, hopefully it’s released in a couple of days.
My dealer was surprised that ATF didn’t just deny that Form 4. He said that’s what they did before.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They do have a habit of just outright denying application mistakes.

It's the ATF after all.

FRP is often due to too large of chambers. Often the expansion chamber, but it can also be the last couple of chambers. It's often more noticeable on pistols with short barrels.

Shooting it on a rifle with a long barrel may also further reduce it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by johna1
They do have a habit of just outright denying application mistakes.

Yep! Somehow dealer screwed up one of mine when I had AR as birthplace and changed it to AZ when they did the form 4… another 9 month wait!

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, wonders never cease. The ATF agent that emailed us about the error on our Form 4 and gave us 48 hours to resubmit correct forms, actually approved it and emailed us to let us know it was approved. In two days even!
She must be new there.
We went and picked up the Silencerco Hybrid 46 along with extra direct thread end caps. 1/2x28, 5/8x28 and 11/16x24. This will serve for all our centerfire rifles including the Bergara Ridge in 450 Bushmaster.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Well, wonders never cease. The ATF agent that emailed us about the error on our Form 4 and gave us 48 hours to resubmit correct forms, actually approved it and emailed us to let us know it was approved. In two days even!
She must be new there.
We went and picked up the Silencerco Hybrid 46 along with extra direct thread end caps. 1/2x28, 5/8x28 and 11/16x24. This will serve for all our centerfire rifles including the Bergara Ridge in 450 Bushmaster.

I hope you sent her a thank you email. She did it the way it should be done, but too few public servants really give a damn about customer service.

I took my Dead Air Mask to the range Monday. It was the first time I had ever used a suppressor. It is going to be serious fun.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I have sent her an email thanking her for proper service.
No answer as of yet.

Those who are suppressor veterans, of which I’m not, the addictive joy in finding something that improves the experience of something we love to do, they look at you with knowing smiles.
What took me so long?

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep... it is a game changer whether plinking at targets or serious hunting.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
About 80% of my shooting/hunting now is suppressed.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
After using suppressors, going back to shooting unsuppressed feels… uncivilized.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I pick up my first suppressor tomorrow, a Silencerco Sparrow. I expect to leave the range with a big smile on my face too. I'm interested in your experience with the Hybrid 46. I have been researching it for a short while and expect it to cover my other needs.

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dinny
I pick up my first suppressor tomorrow, a Silencerco Sparrow. I expect to leave the range with a big smile on my face too. I'm interested in your experience with the Hybrid 46. I have been researching it for a short while and expect it to cover my other needs.

So far, it has been pretty impressive. They do offer different front caps with smaller holes for better noise reduction but I’ve tried it on my AR in 5.56, a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 450 Bushmaster using the standard 46 front cap. The difference may be measurable, but is probaly not that noticeable to the ear. I like it.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 08/06/23.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The TB TD22 on my Bergara sounds like an air rifle. It's awesome.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dinny, I have the same that I use on my 10/22. The only sound I was hearing was the bolt hitting the metal stop pin. I got a rubber covered from Kidd (I believe) and it is almost silent. I tried HM2 ammo with it and was very satisfied but it was a little louder but still a lot quieter than not suppressed.

Enjoy. Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreenMtnBoy
After using suppressors, going back to shooting unsuppressed feels… uncivilized.

Not incorrect…..

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I picked up the Sparrow today and test fired it inside my garage. I only fired a couple CCI Quiets and CB Longs but I'm still impressed.

Funny story, kinda. I intended to test fire a Hybrid 46 this evening (on loan from dealer at his residence/business) but it only had the 5/8-24 thread plate. My son's 357 Maximum rifle is threaded 1/2-28 so I got to test a 9mm rated can instead. While we were fine shooting some subsonic LHP ammo I loaded for my son to deer hunt with the supersonic jacketed round blew the can off the barrel. My threads are toast but I own a lathe and will cut new ones. The can's threads are toast too but he said he would send it back under warranty. The blast that came off my muzzle was one I didn't enjoy feeling and hope to never feel again. I thought the gun blew apart. The Hybrid 46 is rated higher and would have handled the pressure just fine. I will be buying one next month so the 8-9 month wait will start soon.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My experiences with the hybrid 46m are less than favorable.noisy with 45 acp ball

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot the Sparrow on my Victory 22 last night. Is it normal for the first shot to be louder than the rest?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First round pop (FRP) is not uncommon with some can/ammo combinations. Subsequent shots have less oxygen in the can to be ignited, hence the lower sound level of the 2nd shot.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I picked up the Sparrow today and test fired it inside my garage. I only fired a couple CCI Quiets and CB Longs but I'm still impressed.

Funny story, kinda. I intended to test fire a Hybrid 46 this evening (on loan from dealer at his residence/business) but it only had the 5/8-24 thread plate. My son's 357 Maximum rifle is threaded 1/2-28 so I got to test a 9mm rated can instead. While we were fine shooting some subsonic LHP ammo I loaded for my son to deer hunt with the supersonic jacketed round blew the can off the barrel. My threads are toast but I own a lathe and will cut new ones. The can's threads are toast too but he said he would send it back under warranty. The blast that came off my muzzle was one I didn't enjoy feeling and hope to never feel again. I thought the gun blew apart. The Hybrid 46 is rated higher and would have handled the pressure just fine. I will be buying one next month so the 8-9 month wait will start soon.

If I read correctly, the threads blew off the Maximum? If so, or even not, I stopped reading mid paragraph to do the math on a 1/2-28 thread on a .358 bore, not even figuring minor dia. is not near enough wall thickness. I might question a 5/8-24.

Sorry if I've misinterpreted this, if so, please ignore.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JPro
First round pop (FRP) is not uncommon with some can/ammo combinations. Subsequent shots have less oxygen in the can to be ignited, hence the lower sound level of the 2nd shot.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 9 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.