Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Is sparkling wine made anywhere but Epernet France, champagne?

Seems stupid but there’s tons of shcitt like that around the world. It’s called an Apellation or Nom De Appellate or whatever. A San Marzano tomato grown from the same seed but anywhere else in the world but the Certified San Marzano region of Italy, is just a San Marzano STYLE tomato.

Basically a regional ‘trademark’ for lack of a better word.

Yes, there are ‘recipe’ protocols, production satndards, all of that and more, but sometimes, many times, it comes down to something as stupidly limiting as geographical boundariies.

I wasn’t aware that bourbon distilled anywhere but Kentucky could call itself “bourbon”…

When did that change?

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bourbon was to 'Merica as Gin was to England but if you notice, the Brits have let Gin Standards slide too.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally it was only if from Bourbon County Kentucky

But in the United States of Sliding standards Ca$h is king.

So it's said. But Ky was part of Virginy & even when Ky. became a state in 1792 Bourbon Co. consumed a large central eastern section of the state. When Bourbon County was split into multiple counties & where Bourbon Liquor actually originated or ruled upon is a cluster IMO, & up the someone really interested & willing to further research.

Some say Woodford Co., Bourbon, Scott or even Fayette, which were all part of Bourbon Co. Virginia at one time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To be Kentucky Straight Bourbon it has to be produced in Kentucky THEN AGED AT LEAST ONE YEAR IN KENTUCKY. Therefore you could produce it Kentucky, and age it somewhere else and even though it’s Kentucky Bourbon…by legal marketing standards it would not be considered Kentucky Straight Bourbon. It’s a small, but important difference. 😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
let's throw this question out there in this thread..

what's the difference between whiskey and bourbon

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
In my admittedly narrow mind, bourbon should be made in Kentucky. I’m not a native Kentuckian but it is what it is. Spent a few years in love with Makers Mark before I got wiser, now Evan Williams bottled in bond Elijah Craig are kept around for the rare day I’ll have a drink.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by scoony
Ha! Ha! Check those labels closely. Some KY bourbon is actually distilled up in Indiana. Smoke Wagon is distilled at MGP as a lot of others and shipped off elsewhere for bottling and maybe aging. One of the newer Distilleries to try is New Riff in Northern Kentucky. They initially sourced their bourbon from MGP until their stock was aged enough. Now they are producing all their own.

As far as blended bourbon, it must contain 51% straight bourbon, but the remaining 49% can be just about anything.

What, or where, is MGP? I scrutinized the Smokewagon label, all I could figure was, it is made in Nevada.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Bourbon can be made anywhere. It's just that it's better if it's made in Kentucky.

Yes, we know how to flavor the shine.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love buying bourbon almost as much as buying guns. Stocked up on Old Forester 1920 and Russell's Reserve Single Barrel recently. I'm tired of getting burned where bourbon I develop an affinity for gets popular, bottles get allocated and the stuff can't be found anywhere but online for multiples of MSRP. Damn you bourbon taters.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
McCormick's says that their Old Style Whiskey is distilled from bourbon mash and aged for 36 months in reused oak barrels.

McCormick's, in Weston, MO, claims to be the oldest distillery west of the Mississippi River.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Lordy, I have loved some ladies

And I have loved Jim Beam

And they both tried to kill me in 1973"

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There's good straight bourbon whiskey being made all over these days fortunately.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
To be Kentucky Straight Bourbon it has to be produced in Kentucky THEN AGED AT LEAST ONE YEAR IN KENTUCKY. Therefore you could produce it Kentucky, and age it somewhere else and even though it’s Kentucky Bourbon…by legal marketing standards it would not be considered Kentucky Straight Bourbon. It’s a small, but important difference. 😎

A minimum of 2 years for straight bourbon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yep…at least 2 total…but one must be in KY

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I didn't say anything about Kentucky straight Bourbon.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by scoony
Ha! Ha! Check those labels closely. Some KY bourbon is actually distilled up in Indiana. Smoke Wagon is distilled at MGP as a lot of others and shipped off elsewhere for bottling and maybe aging. One of the newer Distilleries to try is New Riff in Northern Kentucky. They initially sourced their bourbon from MGP until their stock was aged enough. Now they are producing all their own.

As far as blended bourbon, it must contain 51% straight bourbon, but the remaining 49% can be just about anything.

What, or where, is MGP? I scrutinized the Smokewagon label, all I could figure was, it is made in Nevada.

MGP is Midwest Grain Products located in Kansas, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. A lot of the bourbons you see on the shelves are actually distilled by them and I believe most in Lawrenceburg Indiana.

Smokewagon sources there distillate from MGP, transports it to Nevada, then ages, and bottles it.

https://www.mgpingredients.com/branded-spirits/distilleries-and-products

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, Mathman you didn’t, just clarifying what the standards are for what I said. 😎

Last edited by Doc_Holidude; 07/07/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't be knockin' MGP! They make some of the best booze around!

Especially if you are a Tito's drinker - they get their booze from a fuel ethanol distiller.

I'm sure some of your favorites are made by MGP.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
yep…at least 2 total…but one must be in KY

What is your source for that? Straight Bourbon is aged 2 years and adding Kentucky to the label only means that it has been distilled in KY. No requirements for where it is aged.

Also as a side note, the legal requirements for bourbon pertaining to aging is that it is aged in new charred oak barrels. They can pour it into a barrel and pour it right out and that meets the legal requirements.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 60 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.