Print Thread
Hop To
C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
on consignment at the lgs today. Caliber.32 WS, half octagon barrel (I think 26”) . Crescent butt plate and silver (colored) forend cap, Lyman (? didn’t look too close) tang sight, filler in the open sight dovetail, absolutely gorgeous wood, fore and aft in pristine condition, metalwork was deep blue all over, seemed too good for this 6 digit serial number gun, especially when the finish of the tang sight looked aged as one would expect. Also, noted what appears to be mild pitting top of barrel, (blued over) just ahead of receiver. I’m thinking the $5000 asking price is a bit optimistic, but I’m a shooter, not a collector. Thoughts?

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
A bit optimistic

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would say so.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
At $5K, you're well into a collectible gun or maybe a Turnbull "restoration" to an "as new" version, "more" as prettier than the original ever was. (I'm mot into such category of "pretty".)

Without seeing a bunch of good photos of the gun, difficult to judge, but I think "optimistic" as a safe bet on the road to "no sale". I take good pix and good honest narrative as an informed and proud seller. As into those realms and above, judging both gun and seller.

I'm more into a gun showing honest wear commensurate with age, all original, and of course something I'm interested in, in the first place. Most guns that really speak to me with allure[ those that tell the tale of a caring owner/user, a bit of whom I can 'feel' as that baton of ownership, into my hands for the duration of my "preservationist" care until the multi-pix and detailed to 'boring" description myself! smile smile smile

Wisp of nostalgia here, for sure.
Best!
John

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Nothing more interesting than a gun re-blued over pits.

I wouldn't pick it up.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm agreeing with the above comments. Anytime a gun is re blued especially over pitted metal on a Barrel is a complete turn off for me. Not only is it not a Collector any more but even a good shooter is out of the question at that point. IMO! A pretty piece of wood can be put on anything but I'll never understand why it was installed in this situation as a backyard job was done all the way around and it makes me wonder what else could be wrong with it.
Like you asked,
THOUGHTS; Walk away! At $5000.00 Bucks There's other honest ones out there. All the fun is in the Hunt, and then the purchase, shooting, and rubbing it down with oil on a cold winters night watching an old Western of your choice. IMHO!!!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 70 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,814
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.