Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
[quote=Esteban325]Feel free to sign up for his course.

What's the guy's name? Company name? Website?

Tony

ETA...disregard, I found it.

Last edited by TonyRumore; 07/06/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
At no point did I accuse him of doing a hit piece. Checked his site... no manual for sale unfortunately. Ironically, traveling to Maryland is more of a deterrent to me than his course fee.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven’t watched the video yet, but will. I have a Spec 15 that I bought a few years ago. The trigger was not very good, so I put a LaRue in it. Could not get good groups after much working with reloads. I called BRO and spoke to the CEO about the accuracy problem. He said the rifle was made to mil spec and should shoot 1 1/2” groups to be within spec. So, I replaced the barrel. All is good now, and many rounds have been through it. I like it now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
He needs a gauge to check the distance from the bolt face to the breach face. If that distance is excessive, you have a case head dangling out the back of the chamber, unsupported, and can cause a case blow-out.
That won't be picked up by a head space gauge.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Is one readily available, or is it something you would have to make? Just never occurred to me that there was a gauge for that. I just figured if the bolt face depth was good and it head spaced, you wouldn’t have that particular issue? My redneck ‘gauge’ for that has always been to pay attention to spent cases, closely….at least for chamber/throat issues the other stuff didn’t catch.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 07/07/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could make shims that fit on the face of the bolt around it's perimeter. Just use some grease to hold them on or have tabs that extend into the case head recess to hold them on.

That's not how I do it, though. But I don't have the tooling to make stuff like that. I made a post on this not too long ago. Here it is:

You can get a feel for how much overrun the gun has by lubing up an empty, over sized (headspace-wise) case and slamming the bolt on it until it chambers and then a couple more times. Take another oversized case and start sizing it down until it just chambers with light finger pressure on the bolt handle. The difference in headspace length between these 2 cases is the approx magnitude of your overrun problem.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Good method, I’d think. Fired brass inspections/comparisons/gauging have just always been my crutch there, based on what I was taught. Like you, I don’t have machinery or even access to anywhere near the shop setup I had when I was into such things as part of an old job. Using your methods madness, one could maybe keep a set of precisely sized/measured cases labeled for min/max and some in between, for test fitting in a chamber like you do.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 07/08/23.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 22250rem, 10ring1, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,029
Posts18,481,857
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.