Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd like to get started purchasing a little physical silver and gold.

I have no idea where to begin.

Reputable sources to order from? What to look for?

I recall a few of you on here had some advice on it but I cant find the thread so starting a new one.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I buy junk coins at spot price wherever I find them. Pawn shops, estate auctions, eBay, here in the classifieds, etc. I don’t have a desire to be up to date on collector jargon, dates, mint marks, grades and whatnot. Everyone know what a silver dollar or dime is made of, what it weighs, and what it’s worth. They aren’t widely counterfeited, and would be easy and convenient to use as a trade medium. There always seems to be a market for them too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s a store of value outside the banking system. Never seen or heard of anyone investing in metals that has made a fortune of sizable measure.

M
M16 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I buy lead. It has doubled in value over the last couple of years and can be used to acquire precious metals.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
It’s a store of value outside the banking system. Never seen or heard of anyone investing in metals that has made a fortune of sizable measure.
I agree. It has historically been a very poor investment. It is indeed a store of wealth that keeps up with inflation, and would make a good trade medium during times of unrest.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I buy junk coins at spot price wherever I find them. Pawn shops, estate auctions, eBay, here in the classifieds, etc. I don’t have a desire to be up to date on collector jargon, dates, mint marks, grades and whatnot. Everyone know what a silver dollar or dime is made of, what it weighs, and what it’s worth. They aren’t widely counterfeited, and would be easy and convenient to use as a trade medium. There always seems to be a market for them too.
Good advice, pre 1965 coins will furnish about 7/10 of an ounce of real silver on the dollar face value, silver dollars a little more. They are easily recognized and readily accepted by anyone that knows anything about silver. Almost zero chance of counterfeits.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems to me that expectations are somewhat jaded and unrealistic as to what junk silver coins would buy in a TEOTWAKI situation. For example ....

Suppose you go into the market, load up your shopping cart with groceries with the total price amounting to $100.00. At the check out stand, you pull from your pocket five one dollar silver coins and hand them to the cashier. She looks at them and says, "That's five dollars. You owe me ninety five more dollars."

You say, "No, these U.S. silver dollars are worth twenty dollars each."

She shakes her head. "No sir, not to me. Ninety five dollars, please."

You say, "Call the manager, please." She does so.

He arrives. "What's the problem?" She shows him the five silver dollars while you explain how much they are worth and add, "Actually, they are probably worth a few dollars more than the $100.00 of groceries."

The manager says, "Sorry, sir, but they are worth five dollars to us."

You say, "That's ridiculous. What will my five U.S. silver dollars buy"

Manager says, "You have a one half gallon of milk there. The five silver dollars will buy that. Don't you have some U.S. greenbacks with you?"

Exasperated and angrily, you say, "Yes, damn you."

The manager says, "Deal off ninety five greenbacks and take your groceries home to your family."

You do so and the cashier bags your $100.00 worth of food. After you leave, the manager hands the cashier five U.S. greenback dollars and sticks your five U.S. silver dollars in his pocket. He returns to his office.

On the way home, you notice you are almost out of gas. You stop at a gas station. Same scenario as the market. Same when you stop at Lowes for a new saw blade. Same at the utility company to pay your electricity and water bill. Etc., etc., etc. Greenbacks still play: silver coins are worth their face value.

Maybe I'm wrong but the above scenarios seem more realistic to me than trying to buy stuff with silver coins and gold. smile

My opinion. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gregintenn
It is indeed a store of wealth that keeps up with inflation....

Does it, really?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
I'd like to get started purchasing a little physical silver and gold.

I have no idea where to begin.

Reputable sources to order from? What to look for?

I recall a few of you on here had some advice on it but I cant find the thread so starting a new one.

Thanks in advance.
Great prices, and reliable service: Liberty Coin

Go for the most metal per cost. You don't want anything that's got any particular collector or rarity value attached to it.

These are pretty close to spot on gold: Austrian 100 Corona

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
It seems to me that expectations are somewhat jaded and unrealistic as to what junk silver coins would buy in a TEOTWAKI situation. For example ....

Suppose you go into the market, load up your shopping cart with groceries with the total price amounting to $100.00. At the check out stand, you pull from your pocket five one dollar silver coins and hand them to the cashier. She looks at them and says, "That's five dollars. You owe me ninety five more dollars."

He arrives. "What's the problem?" She shows him the five silver dollars while you explain how much they are worth and add, "Actually, they are probably worth a few dollars more than the $100.00 of groceries."

Manager says, "You have a one half gallon of milk there. The five silver dollars will buy that. Don't you have some U.S. greenbacks with you?"

The manager says, "Deal off ninety five greenbacks and take your groceries home to your family."

You do so and the cashier bags your $100.00 worth of food. After you leave, the manager hands the cashier five U.S. greenback dollars and sticks your five U.S. silver dollars in his pocket. He returns to his office.

On the way home, you notice you are almost out of gas. You stop at a gas station. Same scenario as the market. Same when you stop at Lowes for a new saw blade. Same at the utility company to pay your electricity and water bill. Etc., etc., etc. Greenbacks still play: silver coins are worth their face value.

Maybe I'm wrong but the above scenarios seem more realistic to me than trying to buy stuff with silver coins and gold. smile

My opinion. wink

L.W.
I doubt in the end of the world scenario people will be measuring value in fiat currencies.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dassa

My opinion. wink

L.W.
I doubt in the end of the world scenario people will be measuring value in fiat currencies.

Buying and selling will only be allowed in CBDC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A thin, 90% silver prior-65 dime should get you a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs when SHTF.

Last edited by RogueHunter; 07/09/23. Reason: spelling

- Rogue
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have, 9mm, 45mm, 22lr, and 6.5x55 metal diversity.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Lately I buy a lot from SDbullion.com or bullionexchanges in NY. Hero Bullion is also good. I just watch for the specials and buy when there's a deal. Silver eagles ha e had huge premiums lately and so has junk silver so I haven't bought as much of that lately.

I don't always buy the cheapest generic stuff either which would probably be the smarter way to go. If I can pick up britanias or philharmonics or krugerrands for just a bit more than generics I go that route because I like the national mint stuff. I just bought $2500 worth of gieger bars from Germany and paid $4 and $5 over spot when I could have got generic rounds for $3 over but the giegers are very nice and packaged nice with serial numbers.

If you can get silver for $3-$4 over spot that's a decent deal right now fir 1 ounce size. For gold I like 1/10th ounce at spot plus 16% or less, 1/4 ounce at spot + 12% or less, 1/2 ounce at spot plus 8% or less and 1 ounce at spot plus 6% or less. If you stay in those ranges your getting a decent deal. Sometimes I find silver at spot +$2 but that's usually 10 ounce bars or bigger. The larger stuff is harder to move. Silver mercury dimes are my favorite but the premiums have been too high on them lately.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 07/09/23.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
A thin, 90% silver prior-65 dime should get you a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs when SHTF.
Smart to get yourself a sack of them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Stophel

My opinion. wink

L.W.

In the EOTW, who will be doing the allowing, and the dis-allowing?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My opinion. wink

L.W.

May be one reality if everyone ignores the fact that every area has buyers of gold and silver who will pay at least a fair portion of market price for your metals

In December of 2008 I had a shoulder replaced. I'd earned $121K in the year up til my surgery. After my surgery I was on $616.00 monthly disability pay, minus taxes.
If a guy had a mortgage in times like that he could possibly lose a house.
By early summer of 2009 metal prices were surging, and nearly every block in my small town had a "Gold Buyer"operating.

I used the proceeds of the sale of junk silver to pay property taxes, catch up my mortgage, and then retire that mortgage.

My average sale price in that time period was 44X face value... Not a what if, or a might be. Telling what actually happened.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to hijack this thread, but kind of along the same line, I have received four or five emails warning of a mandatory US dollar recall to start July 26, 2023. Of course they have a video explaining how to protect your wealth. Apparently the idea is to switch to digital currency. At least one of the videos implies investing in cryptocurrency. Any one else get these emails. Is there anything to this? I am skeptical when someone assigns a specific date to things like this.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by 45_100
Not to hijack this thread, but kind of along the same line, I have received four or five emails warning of a mandatory US dollar recall to start July 26, 2023. Of course they have a video explaining how to protect your wealth. Apparently the idea is to switch to digital currency. At least one of the videos implies investing in cryptocurrency. Any one else get these emails. Is there anything to this? I am skeptical when someone assigns a specific date to things like this.

That's a scam.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stophel
In the EOTW, who will be doing the allowing, and the dis-allowing?

I think the notions that so many people have about the S hitting the F, where we will be "WROL" are pure fantasy. Many things will happen, but a lack of governing authority will NOT be one of them... unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.