Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Needing to put up some permanent deer blinds on our property. I'd like them to be insulated or able to heat easily. Also at least one that's easily accessable by someone with restricted mobility. Curious if anyone has any homemade plans for building some or these days is it a wash over the purchased ones? If one does decide to purchase, what are some good commercial ones you recommend?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Building Deer Blinds = Size--Elevated-- Insulated, Ramp will work if it's not to tall, Big Door Wheel Chair Accessible, ladders and stairs don't work well for the disabled, Elevators are a option on a Big High Blind, How much do you want to spend??

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Took these pictures while we were painting this Blind.12'X12' Elevator, Big enough for 2 Wheel Chairs and helpers, with room to move around. Rio7

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RIO7
Building Deer Blinds = Size--Elevated-- Insulated, Ramp will work if it's not to tall, Big Door Wheel Chair Accessible, ladders and stairs don't work well for the disabled, Elevators are a option on a Big High Blind, How much do you want to spend??

Took these pictures while we were painting this Blind.12'X12' Elevator, Big enough for 2 Wheel Chairs and helpers, with room to move around. Rio7
Are your deer wearing orange jumpsuits?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raferman
Originally Posted by RIO7

Are your deer wearing orange jumpsuits?

😂😂😂

Impressive setup - hosts a lot of wounded vets IIRC.

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I built my latest & last blind on a mower trailer with ramp tailgate. That would be a good application for a wheelchair bound person. It is permanently mounted, 5x7 on a 5x8 trailer. I can tow it all over the lease with my Honda.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
One consideration with the plastic, panel-style blinds; I have not had an experience so close to being a tiny human inside a marching band drum as sitting in one of those during a rain/sleet storm. I don't use them, but the guys I hunt with who do have taken to throwing berber carpet scraps on top to cut down on the noise.

Limited mobility access seems like it would be more dictated by the local terrain - KS beanfields or WV hollows - and how high you need to be for effective sightlines.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have hunted out of tent blinds, home made plywood box blinds, and commercial plastic and fiberglass from cheap to expensive. They all hide you, keep you out of the weather and if made right are comfortable.
They all work better than sitting against a tree. or behind a bush because they contain your scent. I preferred the box blind I built to anything else. I had 2 comfortable chairs in it with the window sills the correct height to shoot off of out of those chairs. I carpetted everything you could bump to keep noise down. If you don't they are like a bass drum. Tents are quiet mobile, camo and contain scent. Just not as comfortable. All can be heated.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted in many. Heres my take.
Cloth blinds - inexpensive , hide you well, easy to put up and move , great for moderate weather, not that durable.
Homemade box- can be good but all about the plan. Less expensive than store bought blind, can be durable.
Store bought plastic - noisy, I ready dislike these. Usually unlined.
Store bought premium blinds, expensive, quite usually well designed , have a good liner, usually comfortable in moderate to cold conditions.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Build the stand out of plywood, keep paint on it and it will last 25 years. Insulate with foam board, build windows with glass panes. A small heater will keep you warm.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I've been in this one a couple of times. Only bad part was sharing it with about a hundred yellow jackets.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've done home built out of wood, as well as pre-fab fiberglass units and metal panel units. All work well and the pre-fab ones are nice, especially for closing the windows during the off-season. Costs being what they are, we now just buy from a guy down the road that has a side business of building wood tower stands of varying sizes and heights. He's stacking up his inventory right now. I can't buy the materials and put in the hours to make sense of doing my own anymore, unless I'm repairing or rebuilding an existing one. Like Hanco says, keeping paint on a plywood one will get you 20+ years with minimal issues.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is one that the wife and kids helped me with in our pasture. Will fit a family of four. (5x10)

This is a 4x4 that my uncle build about 20 years ago and we've killed a lot of stuff from it. I prefer to go with 1/2" sheathing instead of chip board, as it holds up better. I also prefer wider window openings.

This is typical of what the we buy these days from the local guy. Usually buy 4x6 with bigger windows.

Now with even more aplomb
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A ground blind, whether fabric or wood, etc, the deer will get your scent if an opening at all. Have had them snort over 100 yards if wind drifting to there direction. Now if a tower stand you can get away with, have one 40+ feet, and they can walk under you and not get your scent. I have hunted in ground blind and unzip a window and if wind drifting toward them...game over.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Built this not long ago. Metal frame, 5’6x4’, that length because it will fit in my tractor bucket. I’ll cut the ladder to fit when I put it up, landing and handrail comes off. I’ve built platforms as high as 20 feet. I have a couple of platforms that are 40 years old. I’m a metal guy, wouldn’t have a wood platform. This platform is made out of scrap.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image ru

Foam board insulation

Windows swing up

I use this to keep them from seeing me. Cloth and thump tacks. It helps if you have open-No windows in a stand too. Damn afternoon sun also. Helps keep scent in too. I can open a window with deer 50 yards away. They pay no attention.

Last edited by hanco; 07/11/23.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Built this a few years ago, 15’ high. The day we were putting it up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]spacebar key not working

Built this not long ago for son in law
15’ I think

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted out of this blind in Kansas, it wasn't finished but I really liked the mobility and comfort.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The weak point on most home-built blinds are the windows. I buy the sliding windows from TheDeerblindWindow.com

I just priced up building a 4 x 6 blind and all the material (windows, lumber, paint, shingles) will cost you $925. Then the cost of a stand to put it on. I have my blind on a 3' tall stand with skids. If I ever need to move it, I can drag it to a new location or winch it onto a trailer.

BTW: If you mix equal parts of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and Rustoleum Hunter Green, it makes a perfect olive drab.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gsganzer
The weak point on most home-built blinds are the windows. I buy the sliding windows from TheDeerblindWindow.com

I just priced up building a 4 x 6 blind and all the material (windows, lumber, paint, shingles) will cost you $925. Then the cost of a stand to put it on. I have my blind on a 3' tall stand with skids. If I ever need to move it, I can drag it to a new location or winch it onto a trailer.

BTW: If you mix equal parts of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and Rustoleum Hunter Green, it makes a perfect olive drab.

Those are nice! It is expensive now to build anything

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a couple of Maverick 6-shooter blinds.

They're pretty reasonable in price and lightweight so one person can assemble/maneuver. There's a wealth of room inside and small heater would get it cooking in a hurry. Unfortunately they're not insulated but a friend that works for the company said some guys have been spray-foaming the interiors.

There is 4-5" lip at the bottom of the entrance door so that could make accessibility a challenge.

WWP53D
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
we have 2 stump 4 blinds. a 4x6 and 6x6 i believe. their foam insulated and have window curtains. A candle can keep them warm. We also have a Shadow hunter 4x6 . All 3 are great blinds.

I have about $50 in lumber per stand for legs and steps.

FJB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.