Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can anyone with experience comment on pros and cons? May consider getting one for companionship & watchdog duties.

Thanks

- Rogue
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These days - Goldens are generally inbred and brain-dead.

Labs are not much better, but are lower maintenance.

Find a good dog - first.

Breed is way down the list.

GR

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I grew up with a golden retriever as my best friend and partner in crime. I’ve since owned labs, a GSP and an English Field Cocker and they’re all awesome. My GSP (Kodiak) is the most loving and needy goofball, my English Field Cocker “Sky” was the most faithful and intelligent animal I’ve ever been around while my labs have been my constant companion.

You won’t go wrong with either Golden retrievers or Labrador Retrievers…choose one and they’ll capture your heart faster than you can imagine. They’re both the best and they’ll both be everything you want if you raise them right and treat them fairly. Goldens and labs don’t require a heavy hand and thrive when showered with love. I’ve seen guys ruin a great dog because their frustrations and lack of control lead them to discipline their dogs with too heavy a hand which breaks my heart. Seeing a loving and faithful friend cower when you reach to pet it is an indication to me that the owner has no business having the privilege of owning a dog.

I’ll never be without a good dog by my side or laying at my feet. I can be in a foul mood, mad at the world and my lab Kenai will sit by me while I pet her and I can feel my anger begin to melt. After a long day afield and after we both get cleaned up sitting with my lab in the evening by the fireplace reading a book or watching football with her by my side I don’t think anything feels more “right” in this world than that simple pleasure. I’d be lost without a good dog and the little things that make life enjoyable wouldn’t be as significant without a dog. I can go from being in a terrible mood to laughing hysterically at my dogs…..every dog I’ve had over the past 52 years has enriched my life more than I could ever imagine and every dog I’ve had has been as good as the last dog. I’ve never had one that suffered health issues nor have I had a dog that had personality issues. Everyone has lived a long full life and everyone has been without personality defects nor have they been neurotic or stressed, ie fireworks, kids, etc have always been embraced by my dogs…. I attribute their lack of neurosis to our simple and consistent expectations and not feeding or creating an issue by exhibiting and modeling our own neurosis for the dog. Crazy neurotic people produce annoying, barking, uncontrollable neurotic dogs.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had both and known many others of both breeds. Would think the Lab would be a better watchdog, but can be rather hyper. Goldens are wonderful affectionate dogs, but are more of the "Take anything you want, just pet me before you leave" mindset.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love labs. Smart, loyal, obedient and loving.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Six of one, half dozen of the other

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We've had three goldens, we love 'em. The main disadvantage is the longer coats. If this dog will be used for hunting, or spend a lot of time outdoors the long coat picks up a lot of burrs and debris. And they do have genetic issues. Our last two had cancer, and the last one had an eye disease that just became common in the last two decades, he lost both his eyes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In standard Campfire form; Chesapeake.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had labs for the last 50 years with two currently. Also have a golden that is my wife's. Goldens are pretty good but the amount of hair is prohibitive for me going forward. I'd take labs any day

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 07/09/23.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Labs get a bad rep for being dumb, and many are, but the breeding is a big part of it. I have seen some incredibly smart labs. Goldens can be much the same....ie, the breeding makes a world of difference. This also goes for being a watchdog.

One thing about swamp collies (ie, goldens) is their long hair gets way, way more stickers and burrs in it. Both breeds shed which sucks ass but it is something a guy needs to accept if this is to be a house dog. Lab hair is shorter and doesn't seem to clump up when shed like golden hair seems to, which means lab hair gets everywhere and golden hair tends to be found in clumps, IME at least. I like both breeds, but there's ups and downs to them.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
In standard Campfire form; Chesapeake.
Well, I was thinking a Lagotto or maybe a flat coated retriever.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love labs but my kids allergies don't do well with them so we went with wirehaird pointing griffons. They've been great but I still have a soft spot for labs. I always wanted one and planned to name him Zulu.

Bb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For those things my Labradoodle is better tempered than the Labs and Goldens I've had, though I love all of them. I had a Golden once that became vicious with strangers. I also have a Lab that won't even bark at a stranger. Basically she has never met what she considered a stranger. She does keep the whitetail out of the yard though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I love labs but my kids allergies don't do well with them so we went with wirehaird pointing griffons. They've been great but I still have a soft spot for labs. I always wanted one and planned to name him Zulu.

Bb
My first birddog was nearly a Griff out of an Idaho kennel about 20 years ago. I had a deposit on a litter that ended up being smaller than expected and I wound up buying a Setter locally rather than waiting for another breeding. That Setter was an amazing dog. Whoa broke at 7 months old and obsessed with retrieving, high pointing frisbees, and doing blind retrieves on land. I’ve had Setter’s ever since.

I loved the second and now third just as much but neither measured up to that first one. I thought that I was a dog training genius. It turned out that the dog was the genius and I’m still an idiot😂

RIP Winston and Thatcher.

Griffs seem like great dogs. Had that litter been one pup larger I’d probably be a Griff guy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As breeds go, both are awesome. Individual dogs within each breed can vary wildly. Even within the same litter.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Have had both and known many others of both breeds. Would think the Lab would be a better watchdog, but can be rather hyper. Goldens are wonderful affectionate dogs, but are more of the "Take anything you want, just pet me before you leave" mindset.

Goldens are way too mild for me , I had one for 12 years and she was very affectionate but no watchdog or hunting dog. It did not bother me one way or the other. I lost her to Kidney Cancer and driving her on the last ride was really really tough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing that I have come to love about labs is their drive to please. Shadow will do anything if she thinks it will make me happy. She loves doing a job that earns her praise. Go get the squirrel.

She loves opening her Christmas presents.

After she is is done eating her dinner, she will seek out the person that gave it to her and give them a lick. The damn dog feels gratitude. She's a very special one.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I vote Labs

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you’re looking for a good, smart, field bred Golden, I know someone who had a litter or pups about a month ago - if you don’t mind driving to Southern Ontario.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
We had one Golden, raised from a pup. The most wonderful dog for kids and country outside living anyone could hope for.

Two attempts at adult rescues did not work out so well.

Same story for a couple labs we attempted over the years. They just could not learn what home was and was not.

If looking for a Golden today, I would contact these folks.
https://ponderaygoldens.com/

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, 79S, 2ndwind, 7 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,952
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.