Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've always been a mark v guy. Decided to give a vanguard a try. Needed an all weather rifle and just wanted a standard run of the mill caliber. It's a Sheridan wyoming made rifle in 243 win. Has a two stage trigger, which I actually like now, a sako style extractor, and 3 position safety. Am actually impressed with the bottom metal and the compatability of remington 700 bases. The gun shoot lights out. Every factory bullet has went under an inch and my hand loads go into 1/2" at 100. I'm actually considering getting another in an 06. Been shooting mark vs for a while, but I can't see spending 2k on a rifle when you can have one of these that will absolutely hammer for 6-700 bucks. Don't see alot of vanguard love on the fire, what do yall think about them?

HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had one in 257Wby. I let a buddy of mine borrow it and he kept putting $100 bills on my table until I agreed to let him keep it. Great rifle, just a little on the heavy side. For a 30-06, the weight would be about perfect. For a 243, I'd prefer something a little bit lighter.

Other than the weight, very accurate rifles with excellent build quality compared to others in the budget category. Although I guess that should be expected since they are in the upper price range in the budget category.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Vanguards are made in Japan by HOwa.

It's not a Mark V and I don't buy them anymore.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Had several, all very good.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well the Howa's are good to go for the money. Hard to beat for a factory production hunting rifle. I have seen the 308s do sub .25 inches at 100.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They’re an excellent rifle for the money. I have SS Vanguards in .243 and .300 Wby. I’d have a few more if they were still making them in Stainless.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just don't see them as being a budget rifle anymore. Some are 1500 bucks. I think a budget rifle is a mossberg and a ruger American. I think vanguard has stepped up to remington 700 notoriety. I have/had several Mark vs and they don't shoot any better than this vanguard will. I think a vanguard in a carbon fiber stock in an 06 would be a good tool for getting game. I do agree that they are a bit heavy

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You can still buy a vanguard for $600 or a little less.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Walmart has blow out sales on Weatherby Vanguard synthetic rifles quite often

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I know they can be had cheap. As well as a remington adl or sps from academy or Walmart. But I think they are just very well made rifles. The new stuff from howa is pretty good as well. I have 3 and 4000 dollar rigs that can barely outshoot this cheap old 243. Maybe I got a good one. Who knows, but I'd spring for another in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Coyote10; 07/09/23.
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Have had 4, all shot really well . Presently have one in 300 WBY, 3 hots in 3/4 inch at 100 yds no problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a few pics of my recently purchased Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .308. To improve its appearance the crappy plastic stock was replaced with a Bell & Carlson stock. For a cheap rifle, it's seems accurate enough for what I want.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have 5 V2s in 223, 243, and 6.5 CM. They all shoot good groups and are a little on the heavy side, due at least in part because of the contour of the 24" barrels. You'll never mistake the heft of a basic V2 for a light mountain rifle, like a Kimber Hunter, but they are good for what they were designed to be.

I like the current production Griptonite stocks a lot better than most injection molded stocks that other manufacturers are installing on their comparable rifles. I have bought a couple of Griptonite take-off stock to install on Howa 1500s. I put a McM Hunter on my first V2 and a couple of B&C "Weatherby Style" #6505 on a Howa 1500, but could have gotten along fine with the OEM Griptonite stocks.

If you'd prefer a walnut stock, the last time that I looked, GPC still had 2 different grades of short action Howa 1500 stocks left over from when S&W was the importer.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've owned a couple v2s, one in 6.5 creed that I gave to a SIL and another in 30-06 that I'll give to another SIL probably later this year. Excellent rifles IMO. accurate, function great, and look good as well. A v2 in 30-06 is a superb "do it all" rifle.. get one.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Had one in 6.5 Crudmoor, but granddaughter took it away from me. It is lights out accurate, handles well, would buy another!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have 3 all good rifles. If I bought a new rifle I would consider a.Vanguard first.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My first rifle was an early Vanguard in 300 Win Mag. It is a beauty in French Walnut and it is accurate. I would suit it up and prepare to take it hunting every fall and then shift back to a synthetic stocked rifle that I felt I wouldn't be able to scratch up. I believe you probably could sell that safe queen for an easy 1500.oo without much for hardship today. It is extremely accurate and when it was produced it came with a target that had all three shots in one hole.

It has been said that custom gun maker Bill Wiseman developed the elements of the Vanguard action and he worried about its accuracy. The Vanguard was originally a workman's version of the Mark V. I think that I paid 385.00 for it in 1981. Or I should say that my first PFD it did. My uncle had purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Win Mag and put a 3.5-10 Leupold scope on it. It had an almost magical gleam and when my brother and I were to choose our first big game rifles that is what we ordered. My brother's rifle was a dark figured sister to my rifle. He instantly took it out and put a 400.00 Zeiss 4X scope on it while I spent 118 dollars on a Tasco world class 3-9 scope. He used the heck out of his rifle and shot a black bear and two moose with it. Sadly, while I was in school he took a hunting trip up into the Tonsina River Country to Tonsina Lake. It was set in the top of a nodwell track rig and somehow ended up getting ran over by the rig. The Zeiss was toast. He sent it in and put a new one on it. He hasn't taken it hunting since.

I also have a 22-250 Vanguard in a Varmint Special which has a fully bedded HS Precision synthetic stock. I put a 10X Bushnell fixed power on it.. It is not a super accurate rifle but it will put three rounds in a neat triangle no matter what ammo I use. I often take it with my primary hunting rifle as a companion rifle when I go to the range. I have always wanted to take it hunting for marmots on the Denali Highway. I hope that with the closure on the Nelchina herd something like this might happen this fall.

I also had a Vanguard in 257 weatherby mag that I was going to setup and then I ran into a cowboy from Western Nebraska who wanted to trade me straight up for a SW Xframe in 500 with six boxes of ammo. I think I paid 450 for the rifle so it was an amazing once in a lifetime deal. The cowboy needed the rifle for antelope so I hope that it is still out there knocking down speed goats.

Vanguard rifles were somewhat improved with a s2 trigger. I do not like the meateater rifles. They force me to throw up in my mouth a little bit. I think that there is an recraft of the Vanguard in the Nosler 48 rifles which are built off of another version of Bill Wiseman's initial action. I have used my Nosler 48 in 26 Nosler with a Vortex Viper HD 6-24 scope to pop a mountain goat at 350 yards. The Nosler is a very accurate rifle with the 129 grain ttX bullet but less accurate with the 142 grain ttx.

I also have a Nosler Patriot 48 in 338 Winchester Mag. The Nosler rifles are a bit clubby but they absorb recoil extremely well and the pacnor barrels are top shelf. The 338 shoots Nosler 250 grain accubonds extremely well. I took it for a bison hunt but was messed up by super early spring that prevented me from crossing the Copper. I have no doubt that the rifle which is topped with a Leupold VX5 3-18 would have done the job.

I have looked for those old vanguards and would like to get a 270 Win in walnut and a 223 in Varmint Special in one that was called the Red Mist Special. I missed on one and it hurts to this day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought mine in 1983. When the only flavor was flashy wood and mirror blue.
(Variety came soon)

Honestly, I don't like it.
Would make an interesting test to see what rusts faster an 870 Express or it.
Heavy as heck for a 243.
Long action, no block. The rounds slide in the mag with a click everytime you
raise, or lower, the muzzle.

It is attractive, it shoots well, it has always functioned perfectly, it's comfortable
to handle in every way except being heavy.

Hasn't been outside since we moved here 23 years ago. Can't sell it, was my first
new gun and bought with lawn mowing and lunch money when I was 13.

Would buy a lighter new one in a heartbeat, or even a heavy one if that was desired for some silly reason.

Dad bought a 7mag at the same time.
It's hunted from Idaho to NefFoundland, to Georgia. He is 79 and still totes it.
Says it is heavy to carry, but that's why he shoots it so well.

Probably should listen to Pap, love the Tikka. But it's a wand, and I struggle
shooting it. You don't carry a gun to enjoy carrying, you carry it to shoot.

Epiphany!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted with five friends over the last 10-12 years that have vanguards of various chambering and models. Everyone of them likes their rifles. All claim excellent accuracy. Most of these guys are experienced hunters with money buy whatever they want to shoot. All of them have had different rifles prior to the vanguards. Only one has bought another rifle since buying their vanguards. Never had one myself but these guys must like theirs.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Has an M-16 style extractor which is vastly superior to the Sako.

If it moves shoot it again!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,031
Posts18,500,564
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.