Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have had the pleasure of being in Brian’s Gun room and it’s impressive . He was sort of pigeon holed into doing handguns but he knows guns !

Phil,

Over the years Brian and I ended up on several "industry" hunts together, for animals from prairie dogs to nilgai. Some of them even involved some handgunning--but we usually ended up talking rifles and shotguns, and I own quite a few handguns, even taking them on some of the hunts. But had some really interesting rifle and shotgun discussions, partly because we have some similar tastes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
It was actually a couple of BP's articles featuring his pre 64' model 70 Winchester's that helped me understand the one I have a whole lot better.

Although, it was the handgun pieces that drew my interest to his writing.

However many guns he has, I bet they get loaded with Starline cases. :-)

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I got this started because I also like his taste in guns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's been a great thread.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent thread.

Molon Labe
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I miss gun magazines. I grew up reading Mule Deer and Phil's articles. i'd often conceal the magazine in my school-book and read the magazine over the assigned work. I still miss the hell out of the Rifles and Woodsmoke column, and I think I can damn near recite the article "flat Rifles". also read alot of Pierce, Wayne Van Zwoll, Ron Spomer, Layne Simpson. Sundra and Greg Rodriguez provided regular fodder as well. Jac Ballard and Walt Prothero were two others I always liked. But JB and Phil, and Brian Pierce were constants

Last edited by gitem_12; 07/04/23.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gitem 12,

Glad you really liked "Flat Rifles"!

I enjoyed writing the back page of Rifle for several years, and for those who never read that particular column it was based on the principle that American paper money is essentially "flat rifles"--soon to be turned into 3-dimensional rifles--whether the flat rifles are Benjamins or Jacksons or whatever.

Even in semi-retirement I still tend to operate on that principle....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Indeed!
I’ve always been pleasantly amazed that folks will trade to me a fine firearm for my filthy folding paper.

Occasionally I’ll reverse that process but only in order to quickly convert the paper I receive into more steel.

& YES! my world has been a better place thanks to Brian Pearce, John Barsness, Phil Shoemaker, Dave Scovill, Elmer Keith, Mike Venturino, Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, Ed McGivern, Finn Aagard & many others.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Flat Rifles is a classic, as is the B29. Both helped me understand myself a bit better.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Flat Rifles is a classic, as is the B29. Both helped me understand myself a bit better.

I am well aware of the genius of the B29, but I missed Flat Rifles.

What praytell is a flat rifle?

Inquiring mines and all that.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Idaho Shooter,

Pretty much the same here--and Brian and I are close enough that in 2012 he attended the memorial service for my mother, who taught at Boise State University for many years. Around 300 people attended, and Brian didn't tell me he would be coming. But was sure glad to see him!

One thing he said still sticks with me: "We don't really grow up until both our parents pass away." His were both already gone, even though he's several years younger than me.

"We don't really grow up until both our parents pass away." I believe that, mine are still living, 83 each, but I'm not nearly prepared for their eventual departure.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I don't think we can be totally prepared. Eileen's mother passed away at 104 last year, and had been tired of living for the last couple years. But it was still hard.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I've been thru the loses, my only advice is to do all you can for then so you don't feel guilty when they are gone.

"not too grumpy"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I enjoy John Snow write ups on new guns that come out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gitem 12,

Glad you really liked "Flat Rifles"!

I enjoyed writing the back page of Rifle for several years, and for those who never read that particular column it was based on the principle that American paper money is essentially "flat rifles"--soon to be turned into 3-dimensional rifles--whether the flat rifles are Benjamins or Jacksons or whatever.

Even in semi-retirement I still tend to operate on that principle....
I remember that particular column. I would guess it was the June issue in 2004 or 2005. The line about money essentially being flat rifles looking for a 3rd dimension stuck with me, probably because I could and still can relate to it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Brian’s piece on Pre-64’s including some of his from Keith’s collection in Rifle was great. I have always liked Brian’s stuff as I too have lived in rural areas farming and ranching for most of my life. We also have a similar taste in guns which never hurts.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've mentioned that to Brian, but suspect he's too busy in other ways--including running the ranch, and having a large family.

One thing that many readers might not understand is there have been relatively few "gun writers" who made their entire living doing just that--at least until they retired. Townsend Whelen was a good example, a U.S. Army officer for most of his life. Elmer Keith is another, who combined cattle ranching and guiding for most of his life to "support" his gun writing.

I have certainly not totally made my living by "gun writing." Until age 30 also did part-time work that included oil-rigs, where I worked from "worm's corner" to "chain hand," Also worked for seven years on a custom-cutting crew during wheat harvest, where I eventually became a sort of foreman. Also wrote about a bunch of other stuff.

And then there's the other factor: Many "gun writers" these days are also married to a woman who has their own career--and makes good money.

Writing ONLY about guns is still not an easy way to make a living--or at least the sort of living many Americans hope for these days.

Even tougher here in Canada to "make a livin" full-time as a gun or outdoor writer. Most of us have other sources of income to keep the writing going.
Still, none of us would trade writing for any other way to make a few bucks.
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I guess this is a thread hijack. smile

Originally Posted by troutfly
Even tougher here in Canada to "make a livin" full-time as a gun or outdoor writer. Most of us have other sources of income to keep the writing going. Still, none of us would trade writing for any other way to make a few bucks.
Jeff

Jeff, you should look into Robert H Jones' books. He was a fisherman, tied flies and was president of the OWC. You have a lot in common. He died in 2008.

I think I mentioned that he and I were the same trade in the service - armament. He started writing in 1975. I met him in 1978. He was a sergeant instructor I had for part of my trades trng. He would hand out assignments and start typing on his little blue portable typewriter. He was writing for Ontario Out of Doors.

---

A past president and life member of the Outdoor Writers of Canada, Jones has received two of that organization's highest honours: The Pete McGillen Award for service to the OWC, and the Jack Davis Mentor's Award for his assistance to new and developing writers.

Jones was also a member of the Outdoor Writers Association of America and The Writers' Union of Canada.

https://abcbookworld.com/writer/jones-robert-h/

He was a gruff bugger who didn't like to be disturbed by privates while he was writing. smile I got the chance to work with him in the mid 1980s at the International Centre in Mississauga when he was working one of the exhibits. It was the annual spring hunting and fishing show. He was writing for OOD.

The last time I saw him was in Courtenay, BC in the late 1990s. We chatted for over an hour and caught up on what each other was doing.

[Linked Image from abcbookworld.com]

---

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Several years back, I purchased a set of original Herrett stocks for a '74 Security Six from a Brian Pearce in Lewiston. Email communication over the transaction was brief and cordial. From the start I wondered if he was "the" Brian Pearce. It never seemed right to bring it up. To this day I regret not bringing it up.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co][/img]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 3,213 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,854
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.