Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve been seeking out close but under cover spots to fish. This big pond lies between my kids’ high school and an interstate bypass. It’s got high fence all around it with a dam at the end where I am able to crawl under the fence.

It’s essentially a retention pond for the highway and high school so each side is quite steep, so it’s tough to fish cuz you’re always side hilling. Add to that the briars, thistles, and wild roses and moving around the pond is a real obstacle course.

As with all ponds there is a thick mat of weeds right up against the bank over which fish must be retrieved which caused me a challenge with first couple big ones on Texas rigged power worm.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last one was a chunk and I lost a couple others that size on Tx rigged power worm. Haven’t fished like this in years I love it!

Fun times even if a little closer to home than I normally like. Been fun finding little honey holes close to my house and when I can find em with no one else pressuring them.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
some do gooder is going to call the cops on you. I took my daughters to a retention pond in my neighborhood. Was catching the hell out of largemouth. Cop showed up and asked if we were doing any good. Youngest girl caught about a 3 lber right then. He said "I'm going to pretend to fuss at you, and then you grab your stuff and leave". He didn't care but somebody called on me.

E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah my wife said that too. Nice thing is it’s public property and we have a navigable water way law in Michigan that says anything accessible to public land that a boat can navigate is open to the public.

There is a biking trail near this pond so the fence is to protect the public from the liability of someone drowning.

I expect you’re right tho. Hopefully the police don’t bother me and tell the concerned citizen I’m free to fish there but we’ll see.

Until then I’ll slay em

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Nice batch of bass there

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, I'd call those quality bass anywhere, urban pond or not. Considering the variety of baits used I'd say they were some hungry fish.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You could head that off, call whatever agency governs the pond, and get permission to fish. Ask for the name of whoever you spoke with so you can relay that to the police if they show up. Better yet send an email and have that available on your phone if someone shows up to confront you about fishing there. It probably is not open to fishing if it has a high fence, though you would think it would have signs about that. There are tons of videos of people getting themselves worked up over someone fishing, which kills me. Considering all the negative things for people to be engaged in for some nosy complainer to bitch about someone out in nature fishing, especially when it is catch and release, just ticks me off.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Dude this is a really good idea thanks

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Don't call and ask for permission.
The likely answer will be no, and then you have been told, "no"
Fish til they run you off.

Of course, the chain link fence may be a hint.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Different urban pond; this one “discovered” by my son in laws best fishing buddy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That one looks like my pet fish that lived under our dock until yesterday. Two guys pulled in close and hooked her out of there. I thought she was big enough to know better. They were doing high fives and taking pictures and wouldn’t release her. Put the wife and I in a funk for the rest of the day.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
What were they gonna do with her? Do people eat bass? 🤢

I keep panfish, crappie, walleye, and an occasional trout but nothing else.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
That one has legs!

E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
That one has legs!

Ha ha that’s exactly what my boys said when my son in law sent out the pic

Missing link!

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by efw

A lot of people around here keep them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw

Not terrible if you want fish to eat,not the best but better than a hot dog or McDs.

Filet em, get filets in ice water ASAP, cornmeal and flour, hot grease and eat when hot.

If any of it cools down, you may as well toss it to the dogs.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Maybe it’s the time of year I catch em, but the largemouth I’ve eaten were squishy in texture and muddy tasting.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I'm not real fond of the taste of any freshwater fish, but smaller ones taste about the same as bluegills to me if they're taken through the ice in the winter. Completely agree they're not so good from open water when it's warm weather.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by blairvt
some do gooder is going to call the cops on you. I took my daughters to a retention pond in my neighborhood. Was catching the hell out of largemouth. Cop showed up and asked if we were doing any good. Youngest girl caught about a 3 lber right then. He said "I'm going to pretend to fuss at you, and then you grab your stuff and leave". He didn't care but somebody called on me.
In Florida, it was always a transplant from up north who called the cops. (They'd usually just moved in 3 months ago and had installed themselves as rulers of the neighborhood.) But since he's already in Michigan, maybe he's covered.

E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I don’t know what it is but the fish in that pond can’t resist the “Loon” colored 110 plopper!

Went out there tonight and they were crushing it!!

I switched up my baitcaster to 50 lb braid and a short 40 lb leader with a snap. Allows me to reel em right over the grass on the banks once they’ve played out a little.

The cops haven’t come to see me yet; it’s small enough that keeping visits short isn’t a problem.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Impressive fish! Im going to have to get me one of those ploppers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,777
Posts18,477,000
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.