-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worst thing about riding a motorcycle is nosey old guys being distracted taking pictures with their cell phones while operating a vehicle on the highway ….. sheesh

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like a few jealous guys whose wives won’t allow them to have a Harley.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Sounds like a few jealous guys whose wives won’t allow them to have a Harley.
That, and too many can't seem to find sweet grapes... laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I get a kick out of when some of these idiots ride in packs that traffic laws don’t apply to them. Stopping traffic and running stop lights at intersections to keep the group together because heaven forbid if one these cheesy riders gets separated from the pack.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Harley Davidson should have went out of business back in the 60's , they created the whole Outlaw Vibe in this country. Bunch of trouble-making beardy face ain't had a bath hooligans - getting drunk and ripping up and down the roads.
Turning what would have been good women into biker-bimbos - tits hanging out dancing around half drunk. Kids don't need to be around ''harley types'' biker trash

This is the liberal mindset I'm against.This is the exact way the liberals make their case for gun restrictions/doing away with our right to bear arms. IF THEY WOULD OF OUTLAWED GUNS ALONG TIME AGO THERE WOULD BE NO GUN VIOLENCE. Thank you for making my point. Case closed.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
Big bad outlaws on those terrible Harley Davidsons probably even have tattoos. I seen you post before passing judgement on those darn Harley Riders. I've ridden them for over 40 years still ride a semi custom Road King. I'd like to see you tell one face to face what you think.

The Accountant or the Dentist ? LOL !
Tell them to buy a muffler, fix the idle and clean up the oil !!

My point is if you have a problem with anyone minding their own business having a good time. That istead of sniping at them on a forum tell them in person. As I stated I know of harley riders that are puzzies. Are you tougher because of your comments.
* Harleys have 2 cylinders they idle different
* Most put on different exhaust
* new harleys don't leak oil the oil leaks mostly are from when they used to have chain oilers. Again you tell them.

Last edited by dakota300rum; 07/13/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup if you can ride like that I'd say your "special".

I was hoping to get a photo of sparks flying off the center stand.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Good morning Paul that would of been cool. It takes skill and balls. Was the rider using a knee pad of some sort. Do they close off that stretch of road?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
It's hard to see from this photo, if indeed, the riders are tailgating. Doesn't look like it to me.

Did ya ever try to take pictures with your phone while driving? 🙂

That’s the best one I have, you’ll just have to take my word for the rest.

I saw them way back in the rear view mirror, paid attention because like prob’ly most people here I always find motorcycles interesting.

Side by side is the HA preferred riding method. Almost mandatory.

Ya, and put em on a decent stretch of winding motorcycle road and they’ll often PO all the other users by doing exactly that, in a long slow column.

To my earlier objections I’ll also add this - RAF fighter pilots were originally taught to fly into combat in a close formation of three aircraft in a “Vic” formation.

They found that flying like that too much of the pilots’ attention was on keeping formation and not enough on watching their surroundings. In my experience the exact same applies to motorcycles.

As far as having nowhere to go when in close formation I’ll refer you to Col Allen West colliding with his fellow Harley rider after being cut off in traffic.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/202...cycle-accident-near-waco/?outputType=amp

…and what happens when a pickup heads-on a close formation of Harleys….

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good morning Paul that would of been cool. It takes skill and balls. Was the rider using a knee pad of some sort. Do they close off that stretch of road?

Deal's Gap AKA Tail of the Dragon, is perhaps the most famous motorcycling and sports car road in the country. It boasts 318 curves in 11 miles. People come from all over the world to ride it. It is not closed off. https://tailofthedragon.com/

Professional photographers set up at key curves to take photos that they sell to riders. That photo is of me riding my Burgman 650 scooter. Here are a few more.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The truth is that I am pretty mediocre when it comes to corner carving. Kinda like I am with shooting. I pale in comparison to those who are really good.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Good morning Paul that would have been cool. It takes skill and balls. Was the rider using a knee pad of some sort. Do they close off that stretch of road?

Sparks off the center stand? No skill at all, ya just push down on it while riding. Sparks from somewhere else? Not hard to do with many cruisers (<“cougharleys”!>) with no lean angles built in.

I did succeed in scraping pegs a time or two on a 750 Ninja, funnest bike I ever had on a backroad was on a 650KLR. To run with the fast boys ya had to hit every line, shift and braking spot exactly right and if I could ever get it leaned that far the first part to touch down woulda been the handlebar grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going back to the OP, I am not a fan of side by side riding. It does two things that increase danger. I blocks an escape route. If those riders in the OP were passing a vehicle that made a lane change in front of them, the inside rider has no escape route to the left. If the rider swerves to avoid a collision (or a retread strip) he takes himself and his riding buddy out. I always ride with an eye toward escape routes. It's not always possible, but it's a best practice when it's an available option. The proficient rider is in a continuous process of "what if?" What if the oncoming vehicle turns left? What if the driver I am passing comes into my lane? What if the vehicle that is coming up behind me at the red light doesn't stop?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My brother and I did the ‘Dragon in 2010 en route to Texas. Some great bikes there but also Cops. What got my attention more than the ‘Gap was all them decreasing-radius turns on the Tullahoma Skyway eek

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Paul I thought you only rode bicycles. I give you alot of credit for going out having fun and pushing your limits. Which I would say are pretty darn good. I googled the road when you posted it as I was unfamiliar with the site. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Good morning Paul that would have been cool. It takes skill and balls. Was the rider using a knee pad of some sort. Do they close off that stretch of road?

Sparks off the center stand? No skill at all, ya just push down on it while riding. Sparks from somewhere else? Not hard to do with many cruisers (<“cougharleys”!>) with no lean angles built in.

I did succeed in scraping pegs a time or two on a 750 Ninja, funnest bike I ever had on a backroad was on a 650KLR. To run with the fast boys ya had to hit every line and braking spot exactly right and if I could ever get it leaned that far the first part to touch down woulda been the handlebar grin

I sold the Victory Touring bike in the pic I posted earlier to a friend who is an MSF coach. I had only scraped parts a few times in the 15000 or so miles I had it for. Within a month, he had ground holes in the side case guards.

Have you ever seen police bike competitions? Those guys can flat out ride.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Bike accidents ain't pretty to witness.
Posted about a rice rocket Marvin the Martian helmet type long ago on here.
Kid blasting by me and Weaving in and out of lanes of stacked up and staggered traffic.

Honestly....
1st thing I thought was you are a dead man doing that dumb schit.

Watched him smack square into a suv making a perfectly legal turn about 800 yds down the road about 10 seconds later.
Bike just broke up into 100,s of peices
Kid barrel roll and bouncing down road like evil kenevil for 80 90 yds.
Holy fuuk!!!

Traffic stops
Park my truck
Get people blocking on coming traffic real quick.

Run my azz down to the kid.
He took his helmet in that brief span as I was running to him and was resting on his right elbow spawled out.
Collapsed flat out on million degree road by time I got to him.
Pretty fuuking shocking injury when I got to him.

Rendered aid best as possible to the kid, keeping him alert and talking trying to keep him from going into shock.
Cause he was gonna plunge into it fast...
Really really Hard pinching him on arm talking
to him say hey does this hurt.

Yes it does
What about if I pinch you really hard here.
Owe man that hurts.
Just talking to him in general keep your face on me.
Focus on me dude type of stuff.
Classmate of my oldest daughter.
Just grad high school
Knew my daughter in the course of talk, keeping him awake and going into shock.
Didn't dare move him.
Kid was broke up bad.
Gawd knows what he had for internal injuries let alone anymore fractures not obviously seen..

Just constantly talking to him.
Pinched his right cheek lightly a couple times keep his attention to me and not looking left.

Last thing he needed to see was his left foot and leg sitting by his head 5 or 6 inches away absolutely shattered 180 ° opposite of where it was supposed to be.

Never seen a fracture that bad..
Left leg looked the the letter C inwards toward his torso
I didn't dare move him one bit, knew not too in order not to injure him more , or possibly kill him by doing so.
Had to tell several people wanting to move him.
we can't move him!!!
Let ambulance/EMT,s prep him to move.
Only thing I could do was tell other people to stand and block the sun for shade and use my hand to blind his vision to the left to not see his foot and leg even with his head laying beside him.

DEP waiting to go in the Army.
That wasn't gonna happen.
Ever.
Didn't tell him that.
He was going to be a 12B IIRC
Talked to him about army a little.

Worried about his bike.
Your bike is roached dude.
Don't worry about bike you can get another some day.

All till the ambulance arrived .

It was bad......
But it was also of his own making....

Windshield washer back off my azz you fool stuff:

Motorcyclist hate it, but I think they get a clue eventually if they realize why I do it.

Tail gating me at me at speed like waaaay less than 1 car length for every 10mph of speed.
Sometimes even so close, can't see the road over my tailgate thru my rear view and them.
That is close..
Too close for any practical reaction time on their part.

They get the windshield washer treatment to back off.
People in vehicles get the same treatment tailgating me.

You just spent hours cleaning up your bike or car to go on your weekend cruise and you wanta run up my rear doing 50 60 70 per the speed limit and have 20 ft between me and you at speeds.

Extended windshield washing session time.

They back off fast
Pissed off.
But they ain't tailgating anymore for their good and not mine.

I think some get on afterthought.
Some don't.

Seen some bad Motorcycle and vehicle accidents in Germany long ago.
But was never in the position to stop and render any aid .
Either Herman the German ambulances already their with polzie or in opposite lane going other direction.

Lotta times back then American mil convoys on the autobahn and Herman the Germans impatience lead to his demise vehicle or motorcycle wise.
Couple times we passed bad accidents miles and miles later.
Same vehicle that Passed us long before Weaving in and out of traffic.
They got by us by continued to do their dumb schit down the autobahn in " normal" traffic.

Speeds on the autobahn.
Micro second reaction time if you are doing dumbschit thinking you are the Master of the road and everyone else is a bother to you.

Similar schit here in the U.S. at times.
Invincible drivers in their minds in vehicles and on bikes.
Leaving themselves 0 reaction times doing dumb schit they think is normal getting fuuuked up or dead quick.

One thing Harley riders in packs on their weekend rides do around here is have Mr Trike guy bring up the rear on the pretext of preventing them from getting run up from the rear.
Blocking kinda thing.

Having a Trike in the middle of a pack is not a good idea either due to their handling and size if something starts going wrong.
And most of these Trike guys are oldsters and their reaction times probably ain't that sharp to begin with.
Common sense to tell Trike guys to the rear in many ways.

Last edited by renegade50; 07/13/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul I thought you only rode bicycles. I give you alot of credit for going out having fun and pushing your limits. Which I would say are pretty darn good. I googled the road when you posted it as I was unfamiliar with the site. Thanks for sharing.

If you ever get a chance to ride it, you should. That whole area is a lot of fun and pretty too. To me the people/rider watching is the best part.

If you ever get bored, you can see the photos they take each day here: https://www.killboy.com/find-your-photos/

Every now and then you'll see some spectacular fails.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure there's some highly skilled street riders out there but in my opinion most have extremely poor bike handling skills.
I raced motocross 10 years and had several fellow racers killed on the street.
They were expert class racers with houses filled with racing trophies.
Your life is in someone else's hands when you ride on the street and the streets are extremely unforgiving.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you ever get a chance to ride it, you should. That whole area is a lot of fun and pretty too. To me the people/rider watching is the best part.

If you ever get bored, you can see the photos they take each day here: https://www.killboy.com/find-your-photos/

Every now and then you'll see some spectacular fails.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/killboy-failure-dragon-fest.454662/page-4701

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Hey, we’ve had enough bicycle threads.

These two guys on dresser Harleys were Westbound on I 84 in moderate traffic. I was traveling along in the same direction and always watch motorcycles with an interest as I lived on them for some years.

[Linked Image from ]

First off, blitzing along at 80+ in a 65 where traffic allowed in NY State was only on them. I would figure a ticket would be a probable outcome in that heavily policed State but maybe they were Cops (I didn’t catch the State they were from on their plates).

What I wouldn’t do is that they were riding along, almost side by side but with the rearmost guy in the other’s blind spot. That and the fact that, in that formation, they were actually tailgating people in the fast lane to move em out of the way.

Back in my motorcycle days we woulda been staggered at two second intervals and not stupid enough to try and PO four wheeled drivers.

They looked like middle aged guys packed for a road trip. Doesn’t mean they knew what they were doing tho. I’m recalling the two guys on dressers I met in West Texas four years back who didn’t have the first clue what to do in case of a flat.
Doesnt surprise me. Douchebags here cut center line in between vehicles, pass on the shoulder, ride 30 mph over the speed limit and then wanna start chit when they think you wronged them. Fugg em

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.