Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I was able to draw an Elk tag for Montana. I will be going to the Dillon, Montana area to hunt Elk with a group of guys on public ground this October 16th for about 7 days. I mostly wear rubber boots (Mucks/Lacross) to hunt with in Missouri. What type of boot is good for a wide foot and some what comfortable for hunt like this??

I would like to keep the price $250 or below. Thanks for your input. So after forgetting everything cost more is $350 do able??

Last edited by H5farm; 07/13/23.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd bet money that most elk hunters wear boots from Walmart. Your limit of 200.00 severely limits your options. Probably going to be foreign made. I'd look at lacrosse, Redwing, and other known names. We're it me, I'd google elk boots and go from there. Good hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A bit of loaded question, it could be +50, or it could be below zero that time of year so be prepared for both. Warmer temps you want a boot with good ankle support, colder temps you want to fend of frostbit so you want a sorrel or something warm. Every year is different. If your a flat lander, work out before you go, elevation and steep hills will work you.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Check out Schnees boots in Bozeman.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use Meindls when there's not much snow on the ground but when it's been snowing a lot, as it has been in the last few years, I go with these: https://us.kamik.com/collections/men-mens-footwear-winter-boots/products/canuck-1

I know they aren't hunting boots, but I usually am on my snowmobile to get to the hunting area and these things are great for deep snow and snowmobiling. They aren't good for long hikes (i.e., many miles), though, so if you're planning to hump through the woods for any distance, they probably aren't going to be a great option.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Lowa Renegade GTX. Tough as nails, very comfortable. Fast break in

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lowa

First time I wore my Lowa boots an eyelet popped out. For $30 shipping I could send in to be looked at. $30 out of pocket to fix their junk.

First time wearing

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got an old pair of Irish Setters that are great, but don't know if new ones maintained their quality.

This trip is the best excuse you'll ever have for buying a pair of boots that will last you a lifetime. I wouldn't be pinching pennies unless I absolutely had to.

- Rogue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got some US made Danner’s and some Crispi Guides from forums like this. Half price. As new. But requires luck.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Go to your local store, try them on until you find quality boots that fit, then buy them there.

There is no substitute for trying them on.

The store spends money to keep boots in stock, so buy them there.

Start wearing them now.

Last edited by plumbum; 07/13/23.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Get them soon and start using them. You don't want to break them in on your trip.

You can get some decent boots for $350. I'd leave the Mucks at home. I like Lacrosse, Danner, and Crispi. In my opinion most guys "over boot" for insulation. Their feet sweat, then they have cold feet. If you plan to glass and move, I'd consider 400gm or less insulation. I'm pretty sure my next pair will be uninsulated.

Don't forget to spend money on really good socks. Carry a spare pair in your pack.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have Lowas and love them. My son loves his Crispis. I would definitely be willing to spend more $ on boots if I were you. That's big country and you'll most likely be putting on some miles, it can make or break the trip. Nice thing with the higher end boots is they tend to break in faster and are much more comfortable than the cheaper ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be wearing Crispi Summits again this fall on my Idaho elk hunt. Good boots, lightweight, rugged and fit me well.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One item some guys forget is to wear the socks you plan on wearing while you are hunting when trying on boots. I've made this mistake , as well as almost every guy I know- but if you try on a boot with a light sock on, then wear heavier socks while hunting, there is a good chance your feet will be so tight in the boots you will cut off circulation and have cold feet at best- or worse... the boots that use the gortex booty for water proofing are the worst for this as they don't stretch at all so you don't even have to tighten them when tying your boots to cause this problem. If you wear the right socks while trying on boots, you will have a nice, comfy walk in the woods...

I've always been very happy with Danner boots, but they make a lot of different styles of boots. Some fit my feet perfectly, some don't - so choose carefully before plunking down your money. Don't buy on line if you can help it, go try on whatever boots your are planning on wearing and buy them from the retailer you find them at. Too much on line buying and we won't have retailers who stock anything soon...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by H5farm
I was able to draw an Elk tag for Montana. I will be going to the Dillon, Montana area to hunt Elk with a group of guys on public ground this October 16th for about 7 days. ...

Although I've never hunted in Montana, I've elk/deer hunted in the Rocky Mountains of Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. I doubt the weather in those mountain States during the Fall is much different than the weather in Montana. It can be "bluebird" and then you can end up with very cold and snowy conditions. Select your boots, keeping in mind that October can provide some very harsh weather conditions in Montana.

I've used Danner boots and Insulated Herman boots for years which have provided me great support and comfort. I wear 12 D. After you buy a pair of boots, I suggest you follow Plumbum's advice. WEAR THEM NOW! Do not take a brand new pair of boots to hunt the "ups and downs" of the Rocky Mountains.

Good luck on your hunt.

EDIT- Make sure your boots are large enough to accommodate comfortably two pair of wool socks, or their like. Take the socks with you when you try on the new boots at the boot store.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 07/13/23.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pair moccasins from the town pump gift shop on the crow agency. Thank me later..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leather boot with water proof liner and 200-400 rated insulation.

Boots will be the most important piece of gear. Spend at least $400. The best are made in Italy. Buy them soon and wear them for a while.

I know the area you will be hunting!!!!!! great spot

Sparky's Garage geat place to eat. Murdock's Ranch Supply will have anything you forgot or need.

Last edited by Reba; 07/13/23.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Go barefoot like Buzz and his ancestors, you wimps.

Drive them off a cliff, like Bison.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Check out Schnees boots in Bozeman.
Their beartooths are my absolute favorite boot over worn( I've tried quite a few). But they aren't $200 , lol.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
check midwayusa out in the open box clearance section they have some great deals on 400 dollar boots for 200 pretty regularly

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 222Sako, 10ring1, 219DW, 35 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,776
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.