-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We were doing that too. We got one of those GE refrigerators that has the water and ice dispensers in the door. Then we got those Yeti 20 ounce insulated glasses and started drinking lots more water, but weren't really feeling any better. Kind of low energy and the wife went to the doc to get checked out and I think that they hit on something. The more water you drink, the more you are washing the electrolytes out of your body in your urine. We started drinking a bottle of Propel every day and the electrolytes and the energy is back. I guess Gatorade would do the same thing, but I don't like the taste of it as much. Give the electrolyte thing a try. Seventy cents a day for a bottle of Propel would be a cheap fix for lots of people.

As an aside, read up on the history of how they invented Gatorade. It was for the Florida Gator football team who were drinking lots of water to stay hydrated in the Florida heat, but they still had low energy. Boosting their electrolytes with their new sports drink made all the difference.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Wow!

Who knew?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Worked in well over 100 degrees for several hours drinking water after water while non stop sweating and just being drained of all energy.

Grabbed a tiny Motts apple juice, downed it, and was amazed at how energized it made me in about one minute. Always take some with me in summer time after that.

Last edited by kenjs1; 07/13/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The electrolytes in apple juice can provide some relief during intense exercise, but they're not typically as rich as those in sports drinks or coconut water, which are specifically designed for the purpose of replacing electrolytes lost during sweating or intense activity.

Illegitimi non carborundum

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am slightly concerned about every questionable ingredient in those drinks. The yoga way to drink is all at once, only when you are thirsty. They say you can overhydrate if you are a sipper all day. Possibly that would give the body more time to utilize all the nutrients necessary to not be electrolyte deficient rather than having to focus efforts to release water.

I'll also say that I think too many people are not consuming as much salt as they need because of health concerns. I think often salt is one of the least things they could change to improve overall health. It's like at their health level cutting down on salt might help, but it might be better to cut out other things and start doing some other things and keep salt up.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I drink A LOT of water and replacing electrolytes is definitely a “thing”. Sugar, sodium, potassium, etc all get excreted through sweat and respiration and in this type of weather it’s important to replace. A healthy diet is important but in hot weather replacement electrolytes is a good idea.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I also drink a lot of water, usually over two gallons a day, sometimes three.
Have had good luck with LMNT electrolytes plus a magnesium supplement to keep cramps down.
Has been an interesting topic of study for both myself and my endurance horses.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Haha!

Thanks for posting that.

My post was too dry apparently....

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Distridr
Have had good luck with LMNT electrolytes plus a magnesium supplement to keep cramps down.

I went from Liquid IV, which still really hits the spot for me, to LMNT due to no sugar in the latter. Good stuff, and definitely has some salt.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My dad worked on the furnaces in a steel mill for 25 years. Had to wear long John’s plus fire suit year round to protect from the heat. They always had salt tablets available next to the water fountains.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by Distridr

I went from Liquid IV, which still really hits the spot for me, to LMNT due to no sugar in the latter. Good stuff, and definitely has some salt.

I like that LMNT when I'm losing lbs of weight from sweat.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Orion2000
My dad worked on the furnaces in a steel mill for 25 years. Had to wear long John’s plus fire suit year round to protect from the heat. They always had salt tablets available next to the water fountains.

worked as a grunt in railroad construction at hunts point a million years ago. Foreman made salt tabs available.
Dug holes for a living for a few years. Same there.

Gatoraid, salt tabs, LMNOP, pedialyte etc etc etc. if you are looking for something "new", try pickle juice. IME i almost crave it when really dehydrated.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
LMNT is SO expensive. I just take a potassium supplement daily. I probably drink two gallons of water daily.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 815 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.