Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Iphone is a destructive device and causes major harm to young kids.
My brother's grandson won't take karate lessons. Won't play soccer, refuses to get a [free] bicycle from my brother.
Instead, it is 17 hours a day on the damn Iphone.

It isn't just the kids.
My old paramedic buddy, Tony, was up here for a party 12 years ago, we sat there for 2 hours talking about wild ambulance calls we ran, nurses we "knew" etc. He had a flip phone.
Two years ago he was up here, he was 60 years old, we would talk for 2 minutes, 3 minutes max, and then he pulled out his Iphone, for a minimum 4 minute texting session. Two minutes of live conversation, followed by 4 minutes of texting. It went that way nonstop for 2 days. I haven't invited Tony back.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
What do you folks have to say.

Big Brother is watching YOU!

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You cannot depend on cell phones. They're traceable on January 6th, but signals for voters at remote ballot boxes are not reliable.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Check the corners of random cars.......you can easily detect those that use their cell phones too much.

It's hit and run bumper cars out there.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
The Eagles nailed it! We're all prisoners of our own device.

That's good 👍

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Comical thread.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Its a shítty deal.....because that is how the kids communicate now.

You can't bow up and tell them to "call" their friends like we used to.

That isn't really a thing anymore....no matter how much we want it to be.

If possible....try and limit it to talk and text. There are parental controls available too.

Cell phones are kind of a necessary evil now.....but Snap Chat, Face Book Instagram and tik tok are not.

Don't let your kid have that shįt.

So how you gonna do that Einstein?

Sheesh...what a baby.

You can place parental controls on your kids phones.
Time limits, block various sites, be able to monitor all of it.

On second thought...you might as well tip over and wail about how all is lost.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Its a shítty deal.....because that is how the kids communicate now.

You can't bow up and tell them to "call" their friends like we used to.

That isn't really a thing anymore....no matter how much we want it to be.

If possible....try and limit it to talk and text. There are parental controls available too.

Cell phones are kind of a necessary evil now.....but Snap Chat, Face Book Instagram and tik tok are not.

Don't let your kid have that shįt.

So how you gonna do that Einstein?

Montana Governor Greg Gianforte has signed a bill banning TikTok within the state — the first ban of its kind in the United States. The bill, SB 419, prohibits TikTok from operating “within the territorial jurisdiction of Montana” and demands mobile app stores make the app unavailable for Montana residents.

More laws, they're always the best answer :sarcasm:. Even a red state like Montana likes to push new laws on people...

I have zero clue how it'll ever be enforced, and a person can just hop the border to a new state to download it, but this is one path, I guess.

Oh fugg off Gramps!

You may be riding a kids saddle yet but you ain't no kid.

No need for laws at all...just parental controls on kids phones....and also it helps to act like a parent and set limits and stick to them.

The biggest group of people bitching about the kids and phones......gave the kids phones so they wouldn't have to parent or interact with their dumb kids.

Fact.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People bitching about cell phones and social media use with tens of thousands of posts on this website..🤣🤣🤣

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM
Comical thread.

So much angst and virtue signaling.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Addicted^

I am MAGA.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jim1611: I am seeing warning signs that our younger generations are NOT as social and "normal acting" as previous generations that grew up, NOT, glued to their "smart phones/electronics"!
I worry about this "addiction", and also worry about the less than "well rounded" young adults and what they are now turning into (witness slumload and skhunt).
I worry about the future of our young people/society/country - and I think electronics and phone addiction is part of the problems we are seeing today.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It's not really the phone itself that's the problem. It's the ability to access social media or media in general that's the problem. It gets folks, especially kids, hooked on quick hits of dopamine. That, combined with constant access, creates an addiction.

Smart phones are great otherwise. Sure makes working in the field a lot easier. Having access to maps, plans, and GPS is a serious time saver. Teams calls right from the truck, instead of having to meet up in some office and waste half a day on travel.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
One of our nephews held his phone out to me and my wife and remarked that he held everything in his hand he needs. Sad.

Did anyone mention that he doesnt have a job or the means to feed himself or pay for the $1100 digital toys? Great opportunity to disable it and shut down the 'net at home and then say "but what about your device?" or some such.

The smart phone issue, and it IS an issue, is the 800lb gorilla in the room in our society. Its impacts are far worse than most imagine.

It cant possibly be overstated.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
The Iphone is a destructive device and causes major harm to young kids.
My brother's grandson won't take karate lessons. Won't play soccer, refuses to get a [free] bicycle from my brother.
Instead, it is 17 hours a day on the damn Iphone.

It isn't just the kids.

Turn it off. Cancel the plan. Pop the Simm. Period. He doesnt have the ability to turn it on. At the very least, he'll get a job to get what he wants.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Thinking that if we could have an honest figure on just how many vehicle crashes are caused by phone distractions it would be scary.

i cant speak for the low accident rate in rural areas, nor in urban centers. In suburbia, the figure is roughly 100%. Not exactly, but roughly.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No need for laws at all...just parental controls on kids phones....and also it helps to act like a parent and set limits and stick to them.

The biggest group of people bitching about the kids and phones......gave the kids phones so they wouldn't have to parent or interact with their dumb kids.

Fact.

I cant find anything to disagree with here. You are not wrong.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Salmonella
People bitching about cell phones and social media use with tens of thousands of posts on this website..🤣🤣🤣

Not really. It's people discussing problems they have seen in the manner in which YOUNG PEOPLE access & use their cell phones/smart devices.

There's a difference.

What some old employed white dude (most of this site, Id guess?) does is a far cry from what impressionable children do during thier most formative years.

Its actually night and day.

But... conflate away if it helps you ring your bell.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Wonder how many old people’s lives were ruined when they were young by a stick and a hoop…….

Had to laugh at my nephew. Little fugger would look at his phone for hours. We have him crap about being addicted to his phone and not wanting to do much else. He walked out into his Dad’s shop one day, started piling wood up next to the table saw and mitre saw, asked my brother in law for some basic instruction, and built himself spartan but very fictional desk.

Some week later, he walks out, same deal, but asks where the power switch is on the welder. Brother in law shows him, he starts running beads, practicing, welding pieces together, and taught himself how to weld. He’s pretty good.

Turns out he was learning all this stuff on YouTube on his phone.

Now he’s 19, while he looks at his phone a lot, nobody gives him much crap about it anymore. He’s pretty handy around the shop, and he can 3-D print some prettty cool stuff (again, learned how on his phone). Works a job in town while an engineering major in college.

But he can’t drive a stick shift so his whole life is probably screwed…..this place is hilarious sometimes…..

Last edited by Potsy; 07/13/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
One of our nephews held his phone out to me and my wife and remarked that he held everything in his hand he needs. Sad.

Did anyone mention that he doesnt have a job or the means to feed himself or pay for the $1100 digital toys? Great opportunity to disable it and shut down the 'net at home and then say "but what about your device?" or some such.

The smart phone issue, and it IS an issue, is the 800lb gorilla in the room in our society. Its impacts are far worse than most imagine.

It cant possibly be overstated.

Very well-stated, crockett. The devastating impact of Iphones has hardly been understood.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 12,306 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,028
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.