Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Look at the meindl comfort fit Hunter 400. It’s the best boot I’ve worn and pm very hard on them. $350 factory direct.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by H5farm
I will be going to the Dillon, Montana area to hunt Elk with a group of guys on public ground this October 16th for about 7 days.

Archery season closes on October 15th, and rifle season doesn't start until the 21st, so not really sure what you'll be doing the week of the 16th.

As for boots, get something insulated that is comfortable on your feet.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your budget probably needs to go up. Good recs here. I like a rigid stiff boot with tons of support.

Try some on if you can or order 4-5 pairs and return the ones that don't work. You should be putting miles on them right now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just wear whites smoke jumpers until it gets down around 20 degrees, with good wool socks. Below that I wear Irish Setter Elk hunters I think they are 400 gram insulation. When in deep snow and very cold, I wear Whites tall packs, the lineman style. As said before wear boots early and often. When breaking in new boots like Whites, fill them with warm water, soak for ten minutes, pour out water and wear them until dry, using good heavy wool socks. They will fit like good kitty. After the water treatment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Lowa Renegade GTX. Tough as nails, very comfortable. Fast break in
OP states wide fit. I had two pair of Lowas for military use and found the cut to be too narrow. YMMV

Last edited by mrfudd; 07/13/23.

Who is John Galt?
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ive hunted Montana Elk twice, took a nice 5x5 in 2018. Try Crispi Nevada's 200 gram insulation, which is plenty. Be careful of Lowa, they are quality but some are too stiff soled.

Also, start walking and work up to 30 lbs in a pack, find hills and ruck them, you will put the miles in. Read everything you can from Randy Newberg on public land hunting.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never in my life have I had better boots than Kennetreck Mountain Extremes.
They make you want climb mountains.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd follow the advice of guys that say wear the boots now. Put 50 miles or more on those boots and they'll fit better no matter what you buy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salmonella

This is why you can't take specific advice on boots, and why I don't give specific advice - you have to try them for yourself. Everyone's feet are different. Kennetrek's tear my feet up, and are one of the worst boots I've ever had on my feet. But others will find bliss with them.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Kennetreks are a quality boot as well, a friend has their lower cut uninsulated model, very well made and comfortable.

Also practice, practice, practice, shooting. Hunt those Missouri bushytails with a scoped .22 and go for the head, it will improve your woodsmanship and shooting from improvised field positions. Shoot to 200 yards minimum if you can and don't use a rifle you are afraid of or can't afford to shoot (I use an '06).

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a very good pair of Danners that I bring but I don't where them unless the weather is bad. I mostly just wear a really good pair of Keen hiking boots and a pair of quiet gators. Much easier to hike all day in a light pair of quality hiking boots than a heavy insulated boots. If it's going to be cold in the morning and warm in the afternoon (which it is in the Rocky Mountains a lot) I wear a pair of toe warmers with the hiking boots. But for the money, you can't beat Danner boots!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Eric308
Ive hunted Montana Elk twice, took a nice 5x5 in 2018. Try Crispi Nevada's 200 gram insulation, which is plenty. Be careful of Lowa, they are quality but some are too stiff soled.

Also, start walking and work up to 30 lbs in a pack, find hills and ruck them, you will put the miles in. Read everything you can from Randy Newberg on public land hunting.
Originally Posted by Eric308
MFRs (Modern Fantasy Rifles) are a poor choice for the serious hunter. In the original Stoner configuration they are too underpowered for game beyond varmints and in 7.62mm too unwieldy.

GFY fa gg it

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by plumbum
Go to your local store, try them on until you find quality boots that fit, then buy them there.

There is no substitute for trying them on.

The store spends money to keep boots in stock, so buy them there.

Start wearing them now.

Good advice here. That's exactly what I did when I drew a sheep tag.

Preconceived notions of what boot you may want or suggestions from others are out the window. Only you trying them on and walking around the store for a while will determine which boot and size to get.

And yes, start wearing them now!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
H5farm: I live in and Hunt around "Dillon, Montana" and I began Hunting in this area in 1969 for Deer and Elk. I have several types of boots to Hunt in - mainly because our "weather/conditions" are so variable and can change so rapidly!
I would recommend TWO pair of boots - one pair for walking/climbing in cool to warm weather and another pair for sitting/walking/standing in snow and COLD temperatures.
By the way the General Elk Season (Rifle) starts on October 21st this year - not the 16th. Maybe you's guy's are coming early to scout but the 7 day thing would give you just two days to Hunt with Rifles for Elk
Maybe you guys have a special permit that allows some earlier Hunting (including archery) but those special permits and archery Hunts end on October 15th.
I am worried you all may show up and NOT be able to Hunt in this area from the 16th on until the 21st of October???
Re-check your dates and please bring two pair of boots - your Muck Boots (of which I have two pair) are NOT conducive to walking/hiking/climbing in Elky areas.
Good luck this fall and keep an eye out for me!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Check out Schnees boots in Bozeman.
This....Buy once.....

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Depending on conditions. salomon quest hiking boots, crispi guide uninsulated, meindl perfekt 400 g insulated. kennetrek pacs. Whites pacs if its really cold

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Salmonella

This is why you can't take specific advice on boots, and why I don't give specific advice - you have to try them for yourself. Everyone's feet are different. Kennetrek's tear my feet up, and are one of the worst boots I've ever had on my feet. But others will find bliss with them.

Agree 100% with giving/taking advise on specific brands.....

BTW- I love my kenetreks. They are perfect for my feet.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wear Kenetrek northern pac boots. A bit heavy, but the traction is great and the removable liners are great for keeping dry. They are very comfortable and warm.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Also, this may have already been mentioned, but be sure to break your boots in thoroughly before your hunt, whatever you choose.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Mid October can be hot, cold, rainy or snowy. I don’t think one boot can cover it all. I hunted two years ago nearly 40 days. The insulated muck boots were my most often warn, they are not the most comfortable but are the driest. I did numerous 10 mile days.
I wear schnees for times when the snow is not too deep.
I just bought a pair of Merrill hikers, for dry weather hiking.
I have extra wide feet and the Merrill’s fit better than the lowa’s or Solomon’s.

All that said, boots need miles, and I am in the camp that one pair doesn’t always work. I would bring the muck boots, but would lean towards recommending a drier weather boot.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 07/13/23.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,655
Posts18,533,871
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.