Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by H5farm
I was able to draw an Elk tag for Montana. I will be going to the Dillon, Montana area to hunt Elk with a group of guys on public ground this October 16th for about 7 days. I mostly wear rubber boots (Mucks/Lacross) to hunt with in Missouri. What type of boot is good for a wide foot and some what comfortable for hunt like this??

I would like to keep the price $250 or below. Thanks for your input. So after forgetting everything cost more is $350 do able??

October in the west at 8K' plus

Can be a crap shoot

Might be 50* & sunny

Or a blinding snow squall

Weather people here have suggested an 'unsettled summer/fall'

Last winter was MAGA winter

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I wear Kenetrek northern pac boots. A bit heavy, but the traction is great and the removable liners are great for keeping dry. They are very comfortable and warm.
Pack boots are terrible to hunt in if your in any sort of mountainous terrain. Plus they make your feet sweat profusely. I only wear them when hunting with horses.
I use either Meindl insulated or Kennetrek uninsulated boots for most of my elk hunting. The Kennetreks take a real long time to break in. I really don't bother with the insulated pair until it gets into the lower teens, but I also am on the move in rough terrain alot and iften put over 10 miles on in a day. If you plan on sitting and glassing most of the day pack boots with a tight ankle fit are probably your best bet, but be aware if it's warm you will be miserable in them and if you put on lots of miles they will tire you out faster.
As Brad noted boot fit is very important and more so than the brand. In your price range your not going to get good quality boots, period. Plan on doubling that amount give or take.
Also Dillon is over ran with people so if you want to succeed plan on getting up way early and getting way back in. Keep in mind if you tear up your feet on the first day your hunt I basicly over. Invest in good quality socks too and swap them out often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Eric308
Ive hunted Montana Elk twice, took a nice 5x5 in 2018. Try Crispi Nevada's 200 gram insulation, which is plenty. Be careful of Lowa, they are quality but some are too stiff soled.

Also, start walking and work up to 30 lbs in a pack, find hills and ruck them, you will put the miles in. Read everything you can from Randy Newberg on public land hunting.
MFRs (Modern Fantasy Rifles) are a poor choice for the serious hunter. In the original Stoner configuration they are too underpowered for game beyond varmints and in 7.62mm too unwieldy.

Oh, [bleep], he's one of them. crazy

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Hanwag and Crispis have been the best fitting for me!

H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to step up my budget and I am trying to find a place here where I can actually try some of the mention brands on to get the right size and fit

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another vote for Irish Setter Elk Trackers.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Lowa Renegade GTX. Tough as nails, very comfortable. Fast break in
OP states wide fit. I had two pair of Lowas for military use and found the cut to be too narrow. YMMV

You can order them in in wide, medium, or narrow if you don’t buy them from a box store.

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sparky’s garage great restaurant. Probably like The Den better but both are good

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Kennetreks are a quality boot as well, a friend has their lower cut uninsulated model, very well made and comfortable.

Also practice, practice, practice, shooting. Hunt those Missouri bushytails with a scoped .22 and go for the head, it will improve your woodsmanship and shooting from improvised field positions. Shoot to 200 yards minimum if you can and don't use a rifle you are afraid of or can't afford to shoot (I use an '06).

lol. Squirrel hunting is like elk hunting?

you should stick to getting firearms banned moron

Re: Wayne LaPierre is called a "terrorist" by the NY Daily News.
bigwhoop #10752090 12/05/15
Eric308
Campfire Member
E
He uses fear and paranoia to proselytize, so I suppose the shoe fits. The NRA, dependent as it is on gun maker profits to survive, long ago left the land of the rational.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am a fan of Crispi boots.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My john deere boots are fine for me. Zipper over the ankle, have held up many years.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to step up my budget and I am trying to find a place here where I can actually try some of the mention brands on to get the right size and fit

You will not be sorry. I have Lowa and Vasque currently, with insulated Wolverines I use sometimes.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was able to draw an Elk tag for Montana. I will be going to the Dillon, Montana area to hunt Elk with a group of guys on public ground this October 16th for about 7 days. I mostly wear rubber boots (Mucks/Lacross) to hunt with in Missouri. What type of boot is good for a wide foot and some what comfortable for hunt like this??

I would like to keep the price $250 or below. Thanks for your input. So after forgetting everything cost more is $350 do able??

This is an excellent boot, they should ask more for them. Buy two pair and thank me later.

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Com...gear+boots&qid=1689458096&sr=8-4

Last edited by rickt300; 07/15/23.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ward
I'd follow the advice of guys that say wear the boots now. Put 50 miles or more on those boots and they'll fit better no matter what you buy.

Didn't read all the replies, but I like this advice. I have been on several hunting trips that involved hunting several days consecutively in the western US, and I've hiked CO, AZ, and UT quite a bit in both winter and summer months. Only thing I would add, and you probably won't like hearing it, is I would have two pairs of boots. One pair gets wet, either from sweat, leakage or just wet conditions, and you sometimes need an extra day to dry them out. Two quality pair of Goretex or other waterproof boots that you've broken in somewhat ahead of time are golden. And it's another pair of boots that will serve you for other hunting duty, or working around outside as well. I went on a 7 day upland bird hunt in NE MT last October, where we walked from 5 to 14 miles a day, and I had a pair of Lowas (GTX) and a pair of Dannon Pronghorns (uninsulated), and was glad I had both. Crispis are another brand I've had good experience with as well. Merrel used to make a great hiking boot, but I haven't been as impressed with their offerings lately. If you're going to be moving quite a bit as you hunt, you probably won't need tons of insulation. Just added weight, and makes your feet sweat.

Last edited by bludog; 07/15/23.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rickt300

This is an excellent boot, they should ask more for them. Buy two pair and thank me later.

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Com...gear+boots&qid=1689458096&sr=8-4

Those look like a great warm weather boot.

However the OP is asking about elk hunting in Montana in mid October. I don't think a mesh sided boot with Cool-Max is what's called for. He also asked about wide sizes, which is not offered with this boot.

I have a pair of uninsulated EW Rocky Gore-tex boots that I've worn in temperatures in the mid-teens with wool socks. For really cold weather I have a pair of Chippewa 400gm insulated EW boots with a bob sole that's great in snow. Both are more than 25 years old now, so I won't try to recommend the specific style.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

There’s nothing more for me to add that the guys haven’t already mentioned so I’ll just reinforce a couple points that I believe are crucial…..First, try on as many different boots as possible and get the best fitting, most comfortable. Second, definitely wear them well before you go hunting. Break them in and get familiar with them. The time to make modifications or add Dr. Scholls inserts ain’t when you’re in the backcountry. I’ll usually get my new (leather) hunting boots wet and hike with wet boots for a break in period that’s dependent upon the boots themselves.

I’ve been using a 9” pair of USA made Danners for 20 years but I’ve had to rebuild them a few times. I finally replaced them last year. They weren’t “light” but they were warm and comfortable. There were times when I desired lighter weight boots but the Danners never hindered me. I have a pair of Northface hiking boots that are very light and extremely comfortable but they are WARM so I only wear them in the snow and they are my go-to boots for my snowshoes. I bought a pair of Xtra-tuff high top style waterproof “hiking” boots but they aren’t really for hiking far. I think my new boots are Redwing and I also bought a pair of Wolverine that was on sale and has so far proven to be a great value for a nice boot.

Definitely…definitely…definitely wear them a good bit before you take them into the hills! If they need to stretch or you want a more “custom fit” put them on and walk through the creek then hike around for a day or two while the leather is wet, you can change into dry socks. 😀

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're car camping, I recommend bringing two pairs of boots in case of failure. I like having a pair of light hikers and some heavy duty. A pair of Crocs for around camp are nice too smile

Quando omni flunkus moritati
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
" Keep in mind if you tear up your feet on the first day your hunt I basicly over. Invest in good quality socks too and swap them out often."
Carry Moleskin and Luekotape and address Hot Spots ASAP...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Best boots on a limited budget

https://tacticalgear.com/belleville-usmc-combat-500-waterproof-coyote

These are not insulated, but with goretex. They do make one that is insulated. If you go this route you need to order one full size smaller than normal. They make several styles so be careful ordering, you don't want steel toes and many have them. These are USA made and better than the USA made Danners IMO.

Insulated.

https://tacticalgear.com/belleville-c775-gtx-600g-waterproof-boots-coyote-brown

If you can afford them.

https://www.sportsmans.com/footwear...d-gtx-waterproof-hunting-boots/p/p229375

Last edited by JMR40; 07/15/23.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I hunted in Whites for 25 plus years love them. They however are a pain in the butt to break in like two month's of suffering.

I had a Rep tell me not to do the water trick to them it swells up the leather and reduces the life of the boot.

Whites are trully quality my smoke jumpers were rebuilt twice i used them at work would last a life time if you just hunted in them.
They are heavy though.
The Hunters Whites makes are ok the tread is not as deep as i would like in ice deep snow and down hill climbs.

My smoke jumper hills dig in and i can really go down some steep stuff.

Way past the budget you were looking at though.

I switched to Lowas about 5 years ago love them i still bring the whites as a back up.

Good luck and hope you guys see a lot of animals.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.