Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've had the 6.5 PRC bug off and on since it first made the news. Talked myself out of a custom build a few times now. Was pretty much over it ,until a friend bought one(CVA) and I help set it up.
A few trips to the LGS has me thinking about a Tikka T3X of some configuration .

Any campfire members have one ? If so what do you think ? Wondering what the max COAL the mag will handle also ?

Thanks in advance.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
GB1

T
ttu Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I don't have a 6.5 PRC or other short action Tikka, but I have or have had multiple long actions. With a 6.5 PRC, COAL may be a limiting factor if you reload and want to use long high BC bullets. Depends on the throat, but using relatively high BC bullets, my previous Tikka barrels have all allowed longer COALs than the factory magazine would permit.

Fortunately, with the Tikka short action (which has a long action receiver), COAL can be mitigated by increasing the bolt travel and adjusting or purchasing a different magazine.

Last edited by ttu; 07/15/23.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had an interest in the 6.5 PRC as well but I have two 270s and they are so similar that I don't really see the point unless you are committed to a short action (or is it a mid-length action?).

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
From what little I know, a 6.5PRC is shoe horned in a short action. Medium length is about perfect. Some factory offerings come in long action .

I have never owned any 270 or 6.5s of any kind.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been hunting the 270 for years but am thinking very seriously about getting a Tikka T3 in 6.5 PRC. I shoot to 1000 yds a lot for fun and am very good at it. 600 yds is a chip shot and my self imposed limit for hunting although I don't stretch my 270 out to 600 because I'm not 100 % comfortable with the wind drift and retained energy of my 270. The 6.5 PRC is a noticeable performance improvement at 600 yds in both retained velocity and wind drift. It's a win IMO. Furthermore the design of the PRC does offer an accuracy upgrade as well although if your not into serious accuracy you might not notice the difference. I am into accuracy and I can definitely see the difference

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My 17 year old daughter’s hunting rifle is a Tikka 6.5 PRC. It’s the veil camo pattern with cerakoted barrel and brake. She practices with the brake on and hunts with the brake removed.

The magazine is pretty well maxed out with a factory Hornady 147gr ELD-M round

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you for the info .

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've found that the 6.5 PRC in my rifle (Cooper) was much more accurate than my 270 Winchester (CZ 550 Sonoran). It seemed to have less recoil also, but I had a brake on the Cooper. I sold the CZ. As one of the other posters mentioned, other than the increase in accuracy, (observed in my rifles only) I don't think there is a lot of difference between the two calibers inside 500 yards. That said, I am firmly on the 6.5 train. Owning both the Creed and the PRC. I got rid of all my other sub 338 calibers as I just couldn't match the accuracy of these relatively new cartridges.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
I've had the 6.5 PRC bug off and on since it first made the news. Talked myself out of a custom build a few times now. Was pretty much over it ,until a friend bought one(CVA) and I help set it up.
A few trips to the LGS has me thinking about a Tikka T3X of some configuration .

Any campfire members have one ? If so what do you think ? Wondering what the max COAL the mag will handle also ?

Thanks in advance.

I'm with you. The cartridge intrigues me. I also think that the Tikka is a superb platform for it.

Stick with me.

As it comes it is adequate. Have a look at Mountain Tactical. With the addition of a full-length (the one used for 30-06 length cartridges, the proper verbiage is escaping me) bolt stop and their magazine you can hand load about any bullet to your hearts content. Been mulling over this set myself up for a while.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Pretty likely factory 143 eldx will be the start . If I find time down the road ,I may look into the 156 Berger. The 156 may need more mag room ?

Thanks and keep the info coming.

Last edited by mibowhunter; 07/22/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder if we’ll get a plain SS T3X sporter in 6.5PRC sometime soon?

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JPro

I've been waiting for just that. It will show up after I buy something else. haha

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

I've been waiting for just that. It will show up after I buy something else. haha

Have a look at the Tikka web site. They appear to have several versions, one of which is the T3X super light. Of note, they are at least cataloging a few nice options for this lefty.

My excuse list shortens.........

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by OGB

Have a look at the Tikka web site. They appear to have several versions, one of which is the T3X super light. Of note, they are at least cataloging a few nice options for this lefty.

My excuse list shortens.........

I've looked at all the current models they list on their site. Not sure if they are importing that T3X light/super light or not, or it's just not in production yet ? Many google searches did not produce any in stock anywhere.

Might have to contact EuroOptic for info.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like both of the SS versions of the 6.5PRC are fluted. While that's better than nothing, I'd only be interested in the non-fluted, as I'd cut it back to 20-21" for a can. Flutes jack that all up......

Now with even more aplomb
A
A
I've got the Tikka T3x Roughtech in 6.5prc. Great little gun. I've been getting an itch to do some horse trading for a larger caliber or save up and throw a 7prc barrel on it. It's very accurate and recoil is light. I recently got a can and my barrel is fluted so chopping it down like I'd like just isn't a real option which is why I'm considering the things I am.

Last edited by Anonymous1; 07/29/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,413
Posts18,507,171
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.