Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mackay,

A. What is the velocity of that 170 grain from a G22?

B. Do you sell those?

Thanks, Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would pick the one that I shot the best instinctively in double tap if not double double tap. The most critical situation will be an enraged charged by a 2 or 4 legged animal. Shot distance is likely to be inside of 20 yard if not closer. The preceding requires and instant stop. The only instant stop is going to be interupting the CNS; therefore, it's the firearm that I shoot the best instinctively in a rapid draw and a double tp if not a quadruple tap.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 07/14/23.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Mackay,

A. What is the velocity of that 170 grain from a G22?

B. Do you sell those?

Thanks, Ron

Ron, This was cut from Mackay’s post above…..

“ I actually developed what is essentially a +P .40 load that pushed a poly coated 170 grain SWC at 1200 FPS out of a Gen 3 Glock 22. It equals or exceeds some factory 10mm loads. I very much like it due to the fact that it is easier to shoot fast and accurately.”

I shoot 40 through my G20 regularly and have never had a single FTF/FTE. 👍🏼 A 170gr HC at 1200fps is bad medicine. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I spend a lot of time hiking and camping in black bear country. I've been to Yellowstone twice and plan to go back next summer as well as going to Glacier. For years I carried a G20 loaded with 200 gr DoubleTap ammo that chronographed 1315 fps from my G20. Then I downsized to a G29. I shot it equally well and could use 15 round mags in it if I wanted to.

But about 2 years ago tried a Smith M&P compact 10mm and like it. Mine has a 4" barrel and takes 15 round mags. It splits the size difference between the G20 and G29. I have no issue with a Glock not having a safety as long as it is carried in a holster. I could never find a way to get comfortable with a Glock with a loaded chamber in, or near my sleeping bag at night. Smith makes a version with a 1911 style safety. That is what won me over.

I've also tried some of the Buffalo Bore ammo. 255 gr in 45 ACP and 147 gr in 9mm. They shoot well in my guns and either would probably be fine for the black bear here in GA, TN, and NC where I hike and camp mostly. But I'll take the 10mm next year when I head west.

Performance wise, I think the heavy for caliber hardcast 357 mag loads would at least equal anything the 10mm will do. But being able to mount a light at night is a huge plus. Having a lighter, more compact gun holding 10 more rounds doesn't hurt.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Mackay, I am physically not capable of shooting a Glock. Each shot from a Glock is like a ball peen hammer blow to the arthritic base of my thumb. But revolvers, SA & DA still work, as does the 1911.

If headed fishing in competition with big bears, I would carry a four inch Smith 657 loaded with my 250 gr HC. But since that was not on your list, I guess that leaves just one option.
[Linked Image]

This is a 200 gr cast from a Mihec mold loaned to me by a mutual friend in New Hampshire. The load is 7.4 gr Power Pistol with a Fed 215 primer at 1.250" coal. This is a new load I am just starting to work with.

To the left is 200 gr Hunter cast bullets over Longshot.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Ron,

Aces pegged it.

The 170 as 1200 FPS is bad medicine.

I was carrying this today and just took it off a little bit ago.

It covers a wide range of potential threats.

The fact that it is such a potent load and so accurate has really had me carrying it more and more since its development. Normally when I am not in the mountains, I carry a smoking hot little 9mm hardcast load that I really like, but lately I have been switching it up a bit.

Here is a pic of a 50 yard 10 shot group I fired over my range bag/over the hood of the Land Cruiser. Not optimal conditions by any means, but it gives a good idea of what is possible under real world conditions.

One thing as a side note is that it is much easier to see what is possible in terms of accuracy when using a red dot optic, versus using iron sights. Especially as a person gets older. The groups I was able to shoot at 25 years old, versus now with irons sights don't look anything alike. The RDO equipped pistol aids greatly in assessing accuracy.

That said, having been a competition shooter since the early-mid 90s and hunting with them as long, one thing I never really did much of was shooting over bags off of a rest for pure accuracy. All these years later I am finding I am having to learn a new skill set as to eek of the most repeatable precision to truly evaluate a load. Always something new...

Also, Ron,

Yes I do sell the +P .40s.

I am running a little low, as I think I have 500 or so rounds left, but they are available here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-s-w-170-gr-poly-swc-50-rds#Post18580495

or on the website.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The fact that it is such a potent load and so accurate has really had me carrying it more and more since its development. Normally when I am not in the mountains, I carry a smoking hot little 9mm hardcast load that I really like, but lately I have been switching it up a bit.

I may have tested a few of those a couple hours ago. They shot fine in a new G19X!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I may have tested a few of those a couple hours ago. They shot fine in a new G19X!

My .40 M&P is stoked with his hot 170’s and I have some glock mags loaded with his 9mm’s. Top quality stuff no doubt!

To the original question .45 if choosing twixt 10 and 45. Bigger hole, less sharp recoil.

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The 1911 45 only because that is what I'm familiar with. I have no experience with the 10mm.

Last edited by byron; 07/14/23. Reason: Abreviated my response.
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by deflave
The fully Glock 21 .45 loaded gives you DOUBLE the capacity and weighs less doing it!

Pretty eye opening to a lot of people.

Yeah.

They're called idiots. LOL

To your original question, 45.

I love This Guy ..

He follows the Script..

Dancing with Myself..

Oh Oh .

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hey...no offense but....aren't you supposed to pay for market research?

Show me the money and then I will answer. Or at least a free box of ammo.

Next time I roll over to Glasgow I will buy you a beer!

That'll work!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
My .40 M&P is stoked with his hot 170’s and I have some glock mags loaded with his 9mm’s. Top quality stuff no doubt!

To the original question .45 if choosing twixt 10 and 45. Bigger hole, less sharp recoil.

Get some!

Cuzzin' let me know when you're in Glasgow and I'll bring your 586 over.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
If I’m carrying more for nighttime tent and camp protection I might take my Smith 69 since I can get 5 shots off wrapped up in a sleeping bag without fear of jamming since the slide travel could be impeded.

I’ve also had great success with 44 shotshells for grouse and ptarmigan for camp meat. The 44 is pretty versatile for certain duties.

Can’t I just say that they’re all the best and I want them all?….😂

Excellent post

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Has been proven many times a cns shot from a pistol was not needed to stop bears.

With a handgun? On a grizzly?

BS

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Mackay, I am physically not capable of shooting a Glock. Each shot from a Glock is like a ball peen hammer blow to the arthritic base of my thumb. But revolvers, SA & DA still work, as does the 1911.

If headed fishing in competition with big bears, I would carry a four inch Smith 657 loaded with my 250 gr HC. But since that was not on your list, I guess that leaves just one option.
[Linked Image]

This is a 200 gr cast from a Mihec mold loaned to me by a mutual friend in New Hampshire. The load is 7.4 gr Power Pistol with a Fed 215 primer at 1.250" coal. This is a new load I am just starting to work with.

To the left is 200 gr Hunter cast bullets over Longshot.

I think you are very well set up with the 1911 that you have, as well as the .41 Mag. RJM definitely is a encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to .38 Supers and .41s. In fact I am about to start loading some .41 Magnums here in the next few days providing I do not get sidetracked again.

I have literally tried no less than 1/2 dozen times to sit down and do some load development for a commercial load. Every dang time something comes up. From work related issues to sick kids. But I have been on a mission to get it DONE!

As far as on the list, really it is an open discussion. I am and have always been a lifelong .44 Magnum fan. Our mutual friend certainly knows this, as I grabbed a coffee can with 550 rounds of 240 grain hard cast SWCs when we went to go do some long range shooting and tour about old Elmer Keiths stomping grounds.

I mostly shot my 5" Model 29-2 .44 magnum:

This is Horse Heaven Pass on the Pahsimeroi Valley:

And shooting out to 500 yards or so on Mackay Reservoir.

Have carried a .44 Magnum for a great many miles and hours all across the Rockies. Truly a phenomenal cartridge.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Get some!

Cuzzin' let me know when you're in Glasgow and I'll bring your 586 over.

I’d love another 586. Thanks pard!

MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
F you & everybody else that has a 5" 29.

With total jealousy he said. One on S&W forum last week, sell my truck I guess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pard, uh sorry pard but, uhhh this is gonna get a little awkard but, uhhhh I meant cuzzin' Jim pard.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pard, uh sorry pard but, uhhh this is gonna get a little awkard but, uhhhh I meant cuzzin' Jim pard.

Bloody natives always stickin together. laugh

Thought you guys were going to do the swap at the rodeo?

MAGA
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,424
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.