Print Thread
Hop To
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
anyone ever have this done on the new type reciever ? and does anyone know who sells the same size or contour of these newer BLR barrels ? i would like to rebarrel a new type long action with a 257 Roberts chambering with a 24 inch barrel , 7 1/2 twist maybe ? seems like a better decision than the price of these old used ones in a 257 Roberts and be more accurate with heavier grained bullets too. thanks,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Have heard its a no-go due to the design

I have a stainless/mossy oak dura touch that has turned sticky

Gonna re-do the thing and was going to go from 308 to 358 but heard it cant be done

May have to throw this thing in a lake somewhere

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll bet these guys could do it: https://www.swsrifles.com/
I mean, they make these, so I can't imagine that they couldn't simply rebarrel one:

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The bolt engages a barrel extension so there is the problem of the bolt locking directly in the barrel and not in the receiver that must be addressed if the gun is rebarrelled.
I've had the BLR81 IN 257Roberts and I currently have a BLR81in 358Win. I don't know why the 308 can't be rebored to 358 unless there are concerns over the barrel being too thin. Mine seems awful thin at the muzzle but its been shooting fine the last 20+ years I've had it.

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve rebarreled several of the aluminum receiver BLRs. Both takedown and solid frame. They have a barrel extension like an AR. On solid frames that extension is pressed into the receiver and on takedowns it fits into a sleeve that’s pressed into the receiver.

I made a wrench for removing and installing the extension on the takedown barrels. On the solid frames always remove or replace the barrel with the bolt closed, this keeps the extension from turning inside the receiver due to the bolt flutes engaging in the extension.

The barrel tenon needs to be the same length as the original and the face should be polished. The bolt head contacts the rear of the barrel to cause it to rotate.

IC B2

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve rebarreled several of the aluminum receiver BLRs. Both takedown and solid frame. They have a barrel extension like an AR. On solid frames that extension is pressed into the receiver and on takedowns it fits into a sleeve that’s pressed into the receiver.

I made a wrench for removing and installing the extension on the takedown barrels. On the solid frames always remove or replace the barrel with the bolt closed, this keeps the extension from turning inside the receiver due to the bolt flutes engaging in the extension.

The barrel tenon needs to be the same length as the original and the face should be polished. The bolt head contacts the rear of the barrel to cause it to rotate.

thanks that is interesting

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Have heard its a no-go due to the design

I have a stainless/mossy oak dura touch that has turned sticky

Gonna re-do the thing and was going to go from 308 to 358 but heard it cant be done

May have to throw this thing in a lake somewhere

A buddy of mine had his .308 re-bored to .358 Winchester. It's accurate and he's clobbered several elk, a couple of bear and a couple of mule deer with it.

Guy

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have a 308 i wanna do a 257 Roberts but i suppose i need the long action BLR

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I mean, they make these, so I can't imagine that they couldn't simply rebarrel one:

I just picked up my suppressed BLR from these guys yesterday. Had them build it in 7-08. They can do just about anything. They are machining wizards

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I'd have a 25-06 BLR by now if it were a simpler thing to do, but I've always heard it was a no no to rebarrel em.

You can never have too many hashbrowns.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LHPanther
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

I just picked up my suppressed BLR from these guys yesterday. Had them build it in 7-08. They can do just about anything. They are machining wizards
Please give us a report on your new rifle after you shoot it a bit.
I called and talked to them about building me a suppressed BLR, but the price was a bit steep for me. If I recall correctly, it was going to be around $4,000 including the rifle itself. Does that sound about right? And what was the turnaround time?

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by pete53
i have a 308 i wanna do a 257 Roberts but i suppose i need the long action BLR

The factory 257s were short action.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,017
Posts18,500,387
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.