-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I need some advice from all the Pennsylvania folks on here...

I have been looking as of late to plan a public land whitetail hunt with some friends and have narrowed it down to PA (WV is the runner up). The reason we picked PA is it is central to all of us. Here is the big question I was hoping that somebody can help me with. While perusing the PGC website, I see where a few years back, PA started creating "Deer Focus Focus" areas on state game lands. Are these areas benefiting from these timbering operations? If so, are they overrun with hunters? I see where when they were created about 2015-2016 there was some initial promise, but not much else afterwards has anything been written that I could find. Are these worthwhile to hunt? If so, Can someone recommend a good place to hunt?

If anyone can help or give any other advice it would greatly be appreciated. We would even consider a lodge/paid hunt if the price wasn't too bad. We aren't looking for trophies (it would be nice though), but rather want us to have a great time together and a respectable buck or 2 get harvested ( a doe or 2 is also good bonus--if possible). Our group would consist of about 8-10 folks from all backgrounds (Hunting experiences from Ohio, to the Adirondacks, to the deep south) and ages (from 25 to 70). It would be a great way for me to get about 3 close circles of friends together that I have accumulated over the years (that all love deer hunting) to share a common hunt together and experience something new and unique (to them that is).

Any and all help would be appreciated

Thanks

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There's a SGL I hunt where they did this..Fenced an area to keep deer out to see how forest regenerated and then was opened for hunting. There's deer there but some of the enclosures were small I think like 10-20 acres if I'm correct. The couple that I saw were close to the road so probably people who want a quick hunt or not venture far from the road may be hunting there. I walk/drive right past them for some roaming room.
I would not pick a hunting area based on these hunter focus areas. SGls get a fair amount of pressure the first couple days and the weekends, but during the week, depending on the area you won't usually come across too many hunters. We have some pretty large public ground so if you can navigate and are willing to walk some you can have some ground to yourself.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Also, if you're wanting to get a nonresident doe tag the purchase time is now, so you need to get your licenses and buy the tags (online now or from a license agent) for the WMU you want to hunt. Some WMUs sell out quickly

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Although im currently a resident of Florida, i was a resident of PA. for the first 64 years of my life.
And i still own land and am a member of a family owned camp in PA.
I have hunted in the north central region of the state for more than 70 years at this point.
Years ago there would be quite a few private homes offering room and board for hunters.
Not so anymore, not saying there arent any, but none that would be advertising with signs out saying so.
However, there are some motels/hotels with food services in or very near the prime hunting areas.
Be aware that the population of hunters in PA. has diminished considerably in recent years.
As a result of that, many of these places now have vacancies even on the opening day.
The north central region is an immense area, made up of mostly public land, in numerous counties.
The Quehanna wilderness area for example is 50.000 acres surrounded by many many times that amount of public land.
Within a short distant drive is the Quehanna motel and restaurant.
In the small town of Emporium there is the Buttonwood motel and restaurant. A little bit further to drive to the hunting areas than the Quehanna however.
Bordering the very famous PA Grand Canyon, is a small village called Slate Run, right along the well known Pine Creek. There is also a very nice place called the Slate Run Hotel.
I have a good friend who has been staying there for many years during the buck season.
For the last 2 seasons, he has been the only guest staying there even on the opening day.
Not far from Slate Run on RT 44 is the Black Forest Inn and motel also.
A couple years ago a friend and i stopped there for dinner on opening day.
Other than a few people at the bar, we were the only customers.
There is also a campground right across the road from the Black Forest Inn.
There is also a large campground on Rt 555 in the village of Benezette, home of the famous Elk museum and the epicenter of the PA Elk range.
For information on that contact the Benezette Store and restaurant.
They might also have information on other places to stay in that area, as i know there are cabin rentals in the area. Check the Benezette hotel for information as well.
There are also a few Elk outfitters in that area who might offer room and board for deer hunters,
and maybe even some guiding services.
Elk County outfitters would be one, and Hicks Run outfitters would be another.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good hunting and plenty of room in the ANF, also.

IC B2

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
National Forest is abundant… good luck

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I moved to TN about 15 years ago but grew up there a d have hunted there 45 years. I've mainly hunted in W PA but have hunted a fair bit in Warren, Elk, Cameron, Potter, Clinton, Tioga, Clearfield a d I'm sure a few others in that region. There is alot of bears in those counties.

I'd opine you won't see alot of deer - not like we do in W PA. You also won't see many guys. That area used to be one big hunting camp. Every town, hotel, restaurant was busy from bear season to end of deer season.

All that said, I've seen some dandy bucks while bear hunting up there. You won't run into many guys, likely see a bear or two, and have a chance to shoot a nice buck.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Check out the DCNR website for state parks. Some of them have cabins and houses for rent. Plus most parks have plenty of ground that is open for hunting.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thank you to all for the replies! Please keep them coming! I really appreciate all this info as for a couple of this group, it may be their last chance at a hunt (that isn't out their back-door LOL)

yobuck--I sent you a PM

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in the late 1970's, my two bros-in-law and I used to stay with a farm family who took in hunters to raise Christmas money.
Very reasonable cost, and between morning and afternoon hunts, we would help with farm chores. It was a win-win for all concerned, and a lot of fun.

Sure wish I could come across a situation like that again, but I was told by a guy from the PA Game Commission that it just isn't done any more.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Lots of gamelands to hunt also lots of private property landowners enrolled in hunter access program. You have to ask permission first and the PGC has enrolled property maps online.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Last year around Christmas, Follically Challenged reached out looking for info in SW Pa. He and some buddies were planning to come to ride motorcycles in that area this summer. I believe they were planning to rent a house in the Champion area. That's near Seven Springs, lots of game lands, state forests and big state parks in the area. Probably WMU 2C which has lots of doe tags available.

Something to consider, certain areas of Pa. have CWD and there are restrictions on removing deer after harvest.

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
What season are you planning to hunt in? Any particular area of the state? Do you want big woods seclusion or are you open to smaller pieces surrounded by private farms and housing? Do you plan to hunt as a group doing drives/pushes? Here are two links to maps that can help you find public land and know what WMU or DMAP tags you will need for antlerless licences.

Mapping Center 2023-2024
State Forest DMAP

You may also want to consider picking up bear licenses since there are multiple seasons with concurrent deer/bear hunting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,646
Posts18,474,534
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.