Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What are you guys shooting in the sub-$3500 range for sporting clays? Looking for a 32" 12ga. I have a Citori upland special that I shoot well, so I've been looking at the Citori CXS and Citori 725 sporting. But I'm not convinced there is enough difference to warrant a $800 price difference. Never shot a Beretta, so no comments there. What guns would you all recommend under $3500.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been shopping a new OU for a while. I keep coming back to the Rizzini br110.

I’ve shot a couple Brownings and Berettas though I’ve never owned either. Beautiful guns, but the Rizzini just feels better. It seems to fit better, at least while handling it at the counter. Out of the three, it’s also the one I’ve never shot, so take that for what it’s worth.

I’ve heard the U.S. importer is less than one would hope re: service. That’s a concern. A local shop that operates a good size shooting complex has good reports on the guns though.

May be worth checking out.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
The brownings are good choices. If you buy used, even better.

Lots of 32' used on the market and they are good guns well below 3500

Beware of the man with one gun. He is a newbie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 30" browning, unported, I used before my eye issues. It served me well. Probably could be talked into selling it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At the price point you mentioned Beretta and Browning have a good track record of being durable and reliable for clays shooting. Parts are available and good gunsmiths should be able to repair one of the B guns should something go wrong.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’ve been shopping a new OU for a while. I keep coming back to the Rizzini br110.

I’ve shot a couple Brownings and Berettas though I’ve never owned either. Beautiful guns, but the Rizzini just feels better. It seems to fit better, at least while handling it at the counter. Out of the three, it’s also the one I’ve never shot, so take that for what it’s worth.

I’ve heard the U.S. importer is less than one would hope re: service. That’s a concern. A local shop that operates a good size shooting complex has good reports on the guns though.

They certainly look interesting. Decent value in their sporting model. I may have to check them out. Cole Guns has a show room up here not far away from me, they sell and service them.

Next weekend I'm going to do some shopping and fondling. We'll see.

Last edited by GuideGun; 07/16/23.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Find the Browning Citori model that you like and go. A fellow shooter I know told me they are relatively trouble free on the long haul for target guns. Can that be said for Rizinni's?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Browning and or Beretta are both very good choices in that price range.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If at all possible pattern test (with tight constriction) to assess barrel convergence. Differening POI, upper vs lower, is a common issue within this price range. Very.

It's so common I'd much rather hunt for a second hand gun from the next tier, whether Perazzi, Krieghoff, Blaser, DT Beretta, Kolar, etc.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would look at FABARM ELOS N2 as an option. Mine has 32" tubes and even though I am a Caesar Guerini fan I prefer the palm swell and butt thinness of the Fabarm. Customer service is top notch like Guerini (same gunsmiths).
I haven't screwed with the adjustable comb as out of the box it fits and patterns well for me.
AND Coles sold me mine!

Last edited by Westernmassman; 07/17/23.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Browning would be my choice. There's an Ultra Sporter in Dad's safe pushing 200k rounds on a single rebuild these days. Got that count while the K80 was also going well over 200k rounds concurrently. No issues with either.

Me

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you want to spend a little more, look at the Benelli 828 Sport. They’re a somewhat nontraditional o/u design with, I think, a lot going for them. I got one several months ago and it’s been a great gun thus far. Given the design and build quality I have no doubt that it will hold up for the long haul.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 725 is a Field version, but it’s been perfect through a couple or three thousand rounds in just over a year. I much prefer the mechanical trigger over an inertia. The DS choke system keeps the gunk out of the barrel threads and off the tube. Add all the advantages mentioned by others above, and it’s a solid choice, assuming it fits you well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Ended up with the 725 Sporting 12ga with 32" barrels. I did handle a lot of different guns yesterday; Citori 725 sporting (regular and adjustable), Beretta 686 Sporting, Fabarm Elos N2, Benelli 828U Sporting, Citori CX, Rizinni BR110 sporting, Benelli Super Sport (auto I know), and a used Beretta 692. The 725 just felt the best overall, fit is good, and checked the most amount of boxes. The 686 wasn't half bad, considerably lighter which I wasnt convinced was a good thing. Benelli 828U was too light. Fabarm didn't fit worth a damn. Rizinni was nice, but not for me. Didn't care for the glossy finish in the CX. The 692 while really nice, even used, was more than I wanted to spend. It was really difficult to find 32" barrels on the shelf in Browning products. I went to 4 different major retailers here and had a hard time finding a 32" 725. I drove 2 hours this morning over to New Hampshire and found one there.

Time to break some clays. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by GuideGun; 07/23/23.

-Matt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty wood! Shoot it in good health, hope it makes a lot of clay dust for you in the coming years.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have one, and like it more than a little. My stock doesn’t even come close. Great pick.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MadMooner

the Rizzini is actually quite interesting in my opinion. if you dig around there's actually a video where a guy goes to the factory and they custom fit him and built his gun in like a day.. I mean they already had the stock blanks made up and the guy picked his wood the built actions and all this already done so basically they just finished it up but the specifications to fit him and at a remarkably cheap price for such..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been busting clays with a Beretta 686 for about 20 years or a bit more. It ain’t for sale. AA class on skeet. That said, fit is more important than brand.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That most likely is the Brit “Johnny” from the The Gun Show”on you tube. He has a large following and has accumulated a lot of influence with most things shotgun. However, his shotgun of choice is a Longthorne….A unique O/U which has a barrel made out of one piece of titanium.

Anyway, he did a tour show on Rizzini, and if one has reason to be in Italy then it may be worth the visit. Then again Perazzi will do the same.

Last edited by battue; 07/23/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, quite a process. I saw that video. And he shot it also in the process to check for ergot’s/fit, didn’t he? Or, was that just at the end when the gun was built?

About Rizzini’s, I believe there are still four independent shops in Italy run by the four Rizzini brothers. This in the video referenced above was the Bastista Rizzini IIRC.

Anyway, very nice gun. I’m glad you found what you liked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,987
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.