Hop To
#18587322 07/16/23
H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Hats off to your Canadian cowboy's at the Calgary stampede,,, Yall showed up an showed out,,CHEERS!!

I AM AMERICA!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hosfly;
Good afternoon to you, I suppose evening already down in MO, I hope the weather is fine and you're all well.

Thanks for the update, I'm glad that it was a good stampede this year and you all enjoyed it.

I've got company at the door and will wander back later on with a bit of a side note.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hosfly;
Top of the morning, I hope that the weekend treated you well and that the week has started on a firm footing down in Missouri for you and yours.

The side note is sort of a "second hand" but personal one in that a couple of friends of mine are married to sisters whose maiden name was Weadick.

Some of our Alberta members like Jordan Smith, troutfly, Killer Bee and others might recognize that name as a long serving Alberta MLA was Greg Weadick who is a brother.

The tie in to the Calgary Stampede is that Guy Weadick who was born in Rochester, NY was one of the original 4 folks who conceived of the idea of a big rodeo in Calgary and put the first one on in 1912. If I'm not incorrect on the lineage thing, he was their great grandfather.

https://albertaancestors.ca/narratives/weadick-guy-1885-1953/

Anyways it's grown in the past 111 years to be a pretty good event and it was heartening to me to see it back up and running full steam after being shut down for the beer flu lockdowns.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/17/23. Reason: more information

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
hosfly;
Top of the morning, I hope that the weekend treated you well and that the week has started on a firm footing down in Missouri for you and yours.

The side note is sort of a "second hand" but personal one in that a couple of friends of mine are married to sisters whose maiden name was Weadick.

Some of our Alberta members like Jordan Smith, troutfly, Killer Bee and others might recognize that name as a long serving Alberta MLA was Greg Weadick who is a brother.

The tie in to the Calgary Stampede is that Guy Weadick who was born in Rochester, NY was one of the original 4 folks who conceived of the idea of a big rodeo in Calgary and put the first one on in 1912. If I'm not incorrect on the lineage thing, he was their great grandfather.

https://albertaancestors.ca/narratives/weadick-guy-1885-1953/

Anyways it's grown in the past 111 years to be a pretty good event and it was heartening to me to see it back up and running full steam after being shut down for the beer flu lockdowns.

All the best.

Dwayne

Dwayne, and hosfly,

All that info about a rodeo is interesting, but honestly, what are the Flames going to do about getting back into contention for Lord Stanley's little trophy?

Cows and horses, ropin' and bull ridin' and such is cool.

But HOCKEY is the real important thing in life!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Valsdad;
Good morning to you Geno, I hope your part of Urth is staying cool enough or at least you and yours are staying cool enough as of late.

We had a bit of a warm May, then a cooler than usual June and now summer has landed with a tiny bit of a vengeance somehow. Ah well, life in Canada's only desert region or one of the the few.

Anyways sir, as I believe I've mentioned in the past, I am one of supposedly less than 250 people who, despite being born and raised in Saskatchewan, can not skate, curl or follow either one in any capacity.

I was asked to leave, as I suspect the rest were and now have to get written permission from Regina to go back and visit.... wink

Well, maybe that's stretching it a tad, but not much.

That said then Geno, there are folks here from this side of the medicine line who are much better equipped to have a discussion with on that subject.

The one and only time I was at the old Stampede Corral that originally housed the Flames was at a Calgary Curling Association windup cabaret, which typically for me at that stage in my life I am unable to retrieve the second portion of the evening from. It was the one and only time where I woke up not having a clue whose couch I was on, nor where my car was.

That was actually one of those epiphanies in life for me in that it was the beginning of me going on the wagon for 9 years as I didn't much like losing track of my stuff or myself.

But again and as is my custom sir, I digress and apologize for that.

All the best regardless of our dismal Canadian hockey performance - so I'm told.. wink

Dwayne

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne,

thanks for the reply to my somewhat joking comments. Outside of seeing cool animals doing their thing, and I'm not talking the two legged kinds (well, perhaps some of the tight jeaned ladies) I have little interest in most thing Rodeo/Stampede related. We have some shows of that sort, being in cattle country, but the only one I've attended so far was the Junior Horsemanship Show as I figure kids doing good stuff can use all the support they can get. Probably see some horse stuff at the Fair this year if we make it over the hill to see it next month.

Weather has been hot for these parts and our elevation. 100F the past couple of day, supposedly getting to near that today. Worst part was not getting below about 65F last night/this morning for us to open windows and cool the house down. I was up until midnight hoping to be able to air the place out at bedtime, but no such luck. Still warmer outside than inside the house. Window fans and one small window A/C unit have kept us cool enough so far. A little portable swamp cooler I've been using as an extra fan might get some water put in it today, depending on how warm the house gets. I'm managing with water conservation methods to keep the garden alive even. Wish I had the funds for an Ag well, but not now, we just rely on the domestic supply.

As to you comment on the Canadian Hockey Woes, hardest trophy in Pro Sports to win. and now with 32 teams in the league it's not surprising (well, maybe except for the Leafs especially) it's been so long for a northern team to take it home. The team I root for hasn't won it all since their inception, and that was back in '91 or so. I have no doubt the Cup will return to Canada..............someday.

Enjoy your day up there in Okanagan territory. I've got some filter maintenance to do on the well today and best get to it soon.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (264mag, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,047
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.