Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They’re an invasive here, and really starting to take hold. Some are 5”-6” at the base.

Cutting them down is no problem, but they apparently also propagate via their roots.

I’ve been told to cut the trees down August, then liberally apply Glyphosate to the stump. However, am looking for second and third opinions.

I realize this is likely to be a multi-year process, but want to get on it now.

Scott

P.S. They’re the greenest plant around here right now, but nothing wants to eat them - sheep, goats and deer all say “nope!”

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 07/16/23. Reason: Postscript

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by Higginez; 07/16/23.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A couple years ago I cut down some hybrid poplars and ground out the stumps. For the next 2 years, I kept getting shoots coming up all over from the roots. I got some brush killer with Triclopyr from Home Depot. I mixed it 50-50 with water and painted it on all the leaves as they appeared. They wilt down within 2 days. The trick is to starve out the roots by preventing any leaves from growing. For the 1st year they'll come back fast an furious as the roots try to survive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cut it down during the growing season, dribble some Bioadvanced Brush killer on the stump.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A couple years ago I cut down some hybrid poplars. For the next 2 years, I kept getting shoots coming up all over from the roots. I got some brush killer with Triclopyr from Home Depot. I mixed it 50-50 with water and painted it on all the leaves as they appeared. They wilt down within 2 days. The trick is to starve out the roots by preventing any leaves from growing. For the 1st year they'll come back fast an furious as the roots try to survive.

Don't do this. Kill the roots while you have a means of getting the herbicide into them via the cut stump. There is a bunch of stored energy in the roots and it can be hard to kill if the only means to get chemical into them is by killing suckers.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, good advice, copper sulfate, Driano crystals in the tree.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
They’re an invasive here, and really starting to take hold. Some are 5”-6” at the base.

Cutting them down is no problem, but they apparently also propagate via their roots.

I’ve been told to cut the trees down August, then liberally apply Glyphosate to the stump. However, am looking for second and third opinions.

I realize this is likely to be a multi-year process, but want to get on it now.

Scott

P.S. They’re the greenest plant around here right now, but nothing wants to eat them - sheep, goats and deer all say “nope!”

Introduce it to capitalism combined with a Federal Republic. It'll die in short order.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Vastlan looks to be a Tricrlopyr variant?

Also, my biologist sister let me know it’s more likely Chinese Sumac aka Tree of Heaven. She’s a full blown lib, so we don’t talk much, but as I had other business, I thought I’d bring it up.

My plan is to Glyphosate all the bush sized plants, And Vastlan/Triclopyr the tree sized plants as I cut them down. Looks like I have a project for next week, as I’m even a bit late to the party.

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is Alanthus/Tree of Heaven, don't bother with the Roundup.

I would buy a gallon of Remedy and basal bark treat each trunk with a 50/50 mix with diesel.

If they are not under any desirable trees or within their root zones, I would add in a half oz of Milestone per gallon of mix.

Good luck!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higginez

I would buy a gallon of Remedy and basal bark treat each trunk with a 50/50 mix with diesel.

If they are not under any desirable trees or within their root zones, I would add in a half oz of Milestone per gallon of mix.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Vastlan looks to be a Tricrlopyr variant?

Also, my biologist sister let me know it’s more likely Chinese Sumac aka Tree of Heaven. She’s a full blown lib, so we don’t talk much, but as I had other business, I thought I’d bring it up.

My plan is to Glyphosate all the bush sized plants, And Vastlan/Triclopyr the tree sized plants as I cut them down. Looks like I have a project for next week, as I’m even a bit late to the party.

Scott

AS higginez says, good luck.

Once yours are gone, be on the lookout for new ones as if you have them a relatively close neighbor has them, and maybe a really big one. They're such prolific seeders you'll probably get more starting soon enough.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Good luck!

So go after the little bush sized plants with the remedy/diesel as well? Unfortunately there are Blue and Live oaks I’d like to keep interspersed with the Alanthus so best to not use the milestone I’d think.

Originally Posted by Valsdad
AS higginez says, good luck.

Once yours are gone, be on the lookout for new ones as if you have them a relatively close neighbor has them, and maybe a really big one. They're such prolific seeders you'll probably get more starting soon enough.

As far as I have seen, these are the only plants in the immediate area, drive a quarter mile though, and they are certainly out there. And yep, I keep hearing/reading that I need to keep after these for the long term. Or at least until this property goes to someone else.

Scott

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Scott, I'd say those trees within a quarter mile are likely quite capable of getting seed to your area, especially if there is any water coming onto your property to carry seed from upstream.

Not sure if you leave the leaf litter there on the ground from the oaks, but one study I just glanced at said after 5 seasons seed viability dropped to 1.9% or so in oak leaf litter while incubation in mineral soil was around 75% or such.

Initially germination rates averaged 87%, however in year 5 (2016), germination rates of seeds incubated outdoors in oak leaf litter, fell to 1.9%, while those incubated in mineral soil averaged 75%.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378112718308235

I just looked that up because I was curious, having lived in place with way too many of the dang trees.

Unfortunately, in our infinite human wisdom, those trees are now an invasive weed like so many we have around the world. I deal with cheat and medusa grasses here, and there's no keeping them out of my yard as their very well established on the surrounding square miles of BLM land.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I wanted it dead, I would make a big cut into the tree on an angle with an axe.
Roll the flap out and fill with concentrated glyphosate. Do that around the trunk but do not do it continuously. Not certain of your water/growing situation, but any herbicide treatment needs done when plants are actively growing.

The old fashioned way to kill trees was to ring them. Cutting through they live wood under the bark. Not sure why that works when cutting them down will have them putting off shoots. But it does. A few folks do it for trees they want to use for firewood. Ring them in the winter, cut them that or the next fall. They die and dry
standing. Not ready to burn, but we'll on the way.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Are these cork trees or Alanthus? I've waged war on the latter for a couple of decades.

I always used to relish spraying them with Roundup. They respond almost immediately. Just like you can almost see them growing, you can also see them die. Roundup is not a permanent fix. You need to keep after them until the root is fully spent. It can take years. Just spray any green you see and eventually, you starve out the root. In my case, I discovered the mother tree on the neighbor's property. It's a big one, and it answers why I keep getting shoot no matter how hard I try.

In an ironic turnaround, two things happened last year that changed my relationship with Alanthus. First, because of the chemo, I didn't get out and do my usual bit of poisoning. Secondly, I got the Brown Bess musket. It has an 11 GA (.75 cal) bore, and this thing eats lead and powder in a big way. I looked into making my own. Guess what is one of the best materials for making charcoal for black powder?

I harvest the trunk when it is between 1 and 2 inches, debark it and let it dry for a week or so and then cut it into 7-inch chunks. This is just big enough to go into a 1-gallon paint can that I use for a retort.

I've just gotten started on this project. My plan is to make my BP through the simple ricing method. It'll produce period-correct powder that is about 3/4 as powerful as modern commercial black. I could take it further, but the next step involves a hydraulic press and a lot of extra work.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A couple years ago I cut down some hybrid poplars. For the next 2 years, I kept getting shoots coming up all over from the roots. I got some brush killer with Triclopyr from Home Depot. I mixed it 50-50 with water and painted it on all the leaves as they appeared. They wilt down within 2 days. The trick is to starve out the roots by preventing any leaves from growing. For the 1st year they'll come back fast an furious as the roots try to survive.

Don't do this. Kill the roots while you have a means of getting the herbicide into them via the cut stump. There is a bunch of stored energy in the roots and it can be hard to kill if the only means to get chemical into them is by killing suckers.
I agree. I ground out the stumps too soon but I had the use of a grinder. Besides blocking herbicides from getting to the roots, the stump was also too green. It shredded instead of grinding out. That doubled the work.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Allianthus.

Cut the tree. Drill stump and fill with copper sulfate.

Repeat.

It takes a bit, but you can kill em.

Soon you'll have spotted lantern flies as well. They love em.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
... I use/d copper sulfate (above) but the recommended, as mentioned by others above several times:
https://www.aces.edu/blog/topics/fo...e-treatments-for-invasive-plant-control/

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Salt, swimming pool salt, coarse salt of some sort. It will sterilize the ground for about 3 years.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
... I use/d copper sulfate (above) but the recommended, as mentioned by others above several times:
https://www.aces.edu/blog/topics/fo...e-treatments-for-invasive-plant-control/

from the link:
Will rain just after treatment reduce effectiveness?
Yes. Cut stump treatments should not be done when rain is expected within 4 to 6 hours.

Easy fix - just throw an old piece of anything waterproof over the stump while it's raining. Even Glad Wrap will work.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
USDA pays me to kill Ailanthus on my property in WV... they recommend the hack method.

https://www.wildlifehc.org/tree-of-heaven-control-techniques/

Google "Ailanthus hack method"

I use the hack method sometimes...

But usually just cut and spray... and respray suckers later.

Annual attention with seasonal focus with STRONG MIXED herbicides.

Biologists all have theories... but few have actual experience.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,471
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.