Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My 6.5 creedmoor pushes a 143 eldx at 2750 while my 270 pushes a 150 partition at 3000 fps. For my large bodied mule deer hunt this fall I've chosen my 270 as my trusty hunting companion. Is there really any difference here or is it all in my mind. My shot opportunities will likely be under 100 yds although I do shoot this 270 very well out to 500 yds. Both rifles are Tikka T3s so weight and packability are identical

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Go forth and post pictures with the 270….

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
IMHO, no!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems to me the pooch is smiling and not yet filing. Don’t think you’d have a problem with either, since they’re Teekers in decent(though not my favorite🙃) calibers and you shoot them well. Continue splitting hairs and good luck when the hunt comes, but leave the dog alone. 😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Reckon I’ll never understand the pooch saying. As Doc H said, leave the dog alone.

Any good hunter could feed their family lifelong with a 270, 280, or 30-06, the differences being dreamed up in your head & fueled by forum discussions.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Hard to beat a 270

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The first elk I ever took was with a Rem 700 270win with Rem factory 150gr corelocks. Distance was around 50 yards. Bullet hit him in the chest with a loud smack DRT..

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Trystan
My 6.5 creedmoor pushes a 143 eldx at 2750 while my 270 pushes a 150 partition at 3000 fps. For my large bodied mule deer hunt this fall I've chosen my 270 as my trusty hunting companion. Is there really any difference here or is it all in my mind. My shot opportunities will likely be under 100 yds although I do shoot this 270 very well out to 500 yds. Both rifles are Tikka T3s so weight and packability are identical
Good grief, the mental health of this country has declined. That being said, I wish you well and successful.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bring both. Hunt with the ol’ trusty 270.
Keep the 6.5 as a back up.
I don’t go hunting and bring only one rifle.
There is always a back up in camp.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 270 is perhaps the “ wheel”

That new cartridges are trying to re invent.

Last edited by Angus1895; 07/16/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I look at it evidently different from others...

either one would work out fine.... especially if you are considering 100 yds would be the average distance you expect to
score on one...so therefore there is really no wrong answer...

heck a 222 would probably work with the right bullet.. a 22/250 would be a slam dunk.

The NeedMore and the 270 would be a big step up to either of the 22 cal cartridges.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dre
This ^^^

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre
This is me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you for all the tips fellas and yes sir I will leave that dog alone from now on: Grin I've made an appointment with my mental health counselor as well so I can attempt get right for this hunt as well 😀 I know it's a bit early in the year and hunting season in Montana isn't until October however for some reason I'm getting a serious itch early this year. I've been planning this particular hunt for several years now so pretty excited

My hunt is a backpack in trip so I won't be able to pack in two rifles. I'm scoped with an SWFA Fixed 6 and while the scope is heavier than I appreciate there is some real peace of mind that the scope likely won't give up on me. I've also had some great luck with the Tikka in cold wet snowy weather. The bolts for some reason don't seem to freeze shut like some rifles I have owned. Seems to be a very good bad weather rifle. I'm planning to stay in the back country for several weeks if needed. I will be headed into my hunting area this week and start setting up some of my camp. And planning some logistics since where a person hikes up there can be limited It's such a rugged and God forsaken place I've not seen anyone else up there in many years when I've hiked the area. I'm planning a main retreat campsight and a few shelters away from camp where I can set up a quick tarp and glass. Should be an exciting hunt that will definitely have to be earned with lots of patients and some hard work

Last edited by Trystan; 07/17/23.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sounds like a great hunt. I'm jealous for sure.

As for the cartridge, opinions are like, well, you know. Look at any "numbers chart" you want and you will find that inside 400yds the 270WIN makes the 6.5CM look home schooled.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"My shot opportunities will likely be under 100 yds"

You'd probably be able to use an opensighted 30/30 with the bullets loaded in backwards for that. Chip shot for a creed or 270.

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I totally agree Teeder. In fact if I knew for a fact that a 400 yd shot was a zero opportunity I would bring my 223 loaded with a 55 grain Barnes ttsx. Some of my choice on the 270 also comes down to the scope on this rifle. I've never had Fixed 6 SWFA fog or present any sign of a hunting failure during a snow storm that is accompanied with freezing rain and wind. I hope my words don't bite me in the ars

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Trystan

This should be in the "Are we all losing our minds" thread.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
I look at it evidently different from others...

either one would work out fine.... especially if you are considering 100 yds would be the average distance you expect to
score on one...so therefore there is really no wrong answer...

heck a 222 would probably work with the right bullet.. a 22/250 would be a slam dunk.

The NeedMore and the 270 would be a big step up to either of the 22 cal cartridges.

A fu cking muzzle loader with iron sights would work. Some of these guys are way overthinking schidt. I often wonder if guys actually hunt around here, or even shoot their rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
No experience with the Creedmore, but some with the 6.5x54MS which I probably would still use if the rifle hadn't been stolen many years ago. Not a hell of a lot of experience with the .270 as well but what I do have has been good. Last hunt with was was with a Winchester M70 push feed with a McMillan stock and 3x9X Leupold scope. Load was a max load with 150 gr. Sierra game King over WMR powder,Winchester brass and standard Winchester primer. One shot at 75 yards on a Pronghorn Antelope, down and out.

Which of yours would I choose. Probably the one that weighs the least as you said it was a pack in hunt. Based on cartridge alone I'd most likely go with the .270 but rifle weight would be a consideration.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.