Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bob..you just never know what will come out the bush..most big deer shot have NEVER been seen by another hunter or outfitter..makes you think

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
GB1

OP Offline
oldguns, you're darn right there! It's amazing how often I end up in bush and say to myself, "The deer in here are dying of old age..."
Most guys head to the farm country and there are obviously some tremendous bucks there. But in the big bush there are deer that make your jaw drop.
I just had a lad from the St. Paul area of Alberta, that commented to me that the deer here in the Alberta foothills are bigger (bodied) then the farm country deer where he grew up, and that's just across the border from Saskatchewan!
So when these old forest bucks have good weather and feed, and especially if the winters are not too tough, then they can grow some stupidly massive racks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish you all would hush about these Alberta deer, I don't have the money to book a hunt yet and its driving me nuts crazy grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Demonical...I have hunted Zone 514(bush) north of St. Paul and also Zone 502..I am always drawn to the bush

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was hunting Unit....well, nevermind....it really would not matter anyway because tags are limited, but the thing that shocked me is that there did not seem to be another hunter in there; would not matter if there were,cause the unit was so BIG.

Most non-residents are drawn to the farms cause they can SEE more, but I will bet that world -class whitetails (yes, world RECORD class)are more abundant in Alberta and Saskatchewan bush zones than we believe.Scary places, indeed....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh my.......That's a GREAT buck.

Congrats dude!!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great buck. Thanks for taking the time to post it and the other pics. You guys are fortunate to have those kind of deer running around. Thanks again.
Any suggestions on hunting up that way would be appreciated. If you don't object I would appreciate a PM.

Thanks,

Battue

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd prefer you don't PM anything - put all the info right here.......... grin grin grin

WWP53D
OP Offline
Originally Posted by battue
Great buck. Thanks for taking the time to post it and the other pics. You guys are fortunate to have those kind of deer running around. Thanks again.
Any suggestions on hunting up that way would be appreciated. If you don't object I would appreciate a PM.

Thanks,

Battue

1) In Alberta there are huge bucks anywhere you hunt. The next deer you see could be a record book deer.
2) You can't shoot a big buck sitting on the couch.
3) Spend every minute of the day in the bush.
4) Hunt during the rut; I don't get serious until Nov. 15, but then I will hunt every day/minute possible until Nov. 30 when the season closes.
5) You need to be lucky.
6) The more you hunt, the luckier you get.
7) You need to understand whitetail deer and I think I do.
8) I don't score deer when I see them. If the frame is big I shoot. A deer doesn't have to have a big score to be well earned, and a good trophy.

I have friends that accuse me of having a Golden Horseshoe. I guess that's okay.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spoken like a serious hunter only after mature deer and cares little for score. Perhaps we were separated at birth? grin

Well put Demonical.

WWP53D
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
SKane: I agree with you on the score thing. Great bucks are just that, mature big bodied, with a thick old set of horns that pop yours eyes open. The BC score doesn't mean much. Because of the numbers of Pa. hunters, only a few deer live long enough to get big in that way.
All that Demonical said is true. My main questions are can a U.S. hunter go there and hunt without a quide and if so is hunting access difficult or easy to obtain. I realize that backcountry is big stuff but not familiar with Alberta hunting laws. Have looked at some outfitters, price high and most want you to sit on a stand all day. Not exactly my favorite hunting method.

Battue

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 204guy, 54 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,897
Posts18,518,402
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.