Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RHClark
Getting a rescue bill is complete BS. Isn't rescue a job they are all already getting paid for?

Somebody is paying for it.
You can bet some tax funded resources are tapped.
Even if the people are volunteers.

Remember watching a Blackhawk crash on Mt Hood rescuing some dipshits
who were winter mountain climbing. Millions of dollars, people seriously
hurt rescuing dumbasses.

Wouldn't say everyone rescued needs charged, but those engaged in stupid behavior
shouldn't get to use others resources for free.

Daughter got bucked off a horse and broke her back.
The helicopter ride damage sure wasn't free.
$50000 for 100 miles.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 07/16/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winchester21
He WILL get a bill.

What makes you think that?

Will this dog get a bill? https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...dog-rescue-mt-hope-colorado/70397154007/

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys know that ambulance rides are not free either....right?

Try a helicopter ride !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in Arizona now on vacation. Passed through Phoenix yesterday. Everybody bitching about the 115° heat. But, I will take this Arizona dry heat any day over the 95° humid-as-hell weather I left in eastern North Carolina.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
He died with his boots on.

My condolences to his family.

Not everyone wants to live to 100 with their ass in a couch.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Stickfight
He WILL get a bill.

What makes you think that?

Will this dog get a bill? https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...dog-rescue-mt-hope-colorado/70397154007/

It's well known policy in Arizona (this is not colorado). If you do something stupid you pay. It's about not using public funds for STUPID acts, which are practically epidemic. And yeah, first responders sign up for hazardous duty, but it sure as hell doesn't mean for lives to be needlessly risked. They close trails here when temps get hot. Break the rules and you pay. Don't like it? Tough S H I T. You should see all the dummys that drive into flooded washes and need rescue. Or the morons that attempt to handle rattlesnakes.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RIO7
This is a everyday thing with Illegals here in S.Texas, so far this year they have found 58 dead from the
heat in Starr County. Rio7

How far do you have to chase them with the four wheelers before the fall over dead?

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We crushed the record for all-time electrical load here yesterday. And this fuqqer was out daring the sun to kill him.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
69 years old and thinks he can go hiking on a mountain in 118 degree temps. He WILL get a bill.
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/video/1249575

Basically a dumm phhuuck.......

Not 118 here......but upper 80's will still kick your azz at elevations

https://www.ksl.com/article/5068747...-multiple-july-rescues-in-utah-mountains

Last edited by tikkanut; 07/16/23.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh hell

only 99 here right now

Its a dry heat.....

9% humidity

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve instilled in our children the hard fact that you and you alone are responsible for not only your safety but those that are with you. That includes as much training on a variety of topics pertinent to one’s interests AND it means paying for rescue insurance NOW. Nobody should expect someone else to come find their ass and haul their ass back to town for free. Now as our children are getting older and enjoying their hobbies they’re beginning their everlasting education. Backcountry survival, first aid, etc as well as avalanche rescue are the first in what is likely to be countless more classes so they can enjoy their backcountry activities with the quiet confidence that accompanies knowledge and experience. They know that I expect them to know how to handle themselves in bad situations but they also know that if you need help you need it NOW and it’s your responsibility to have figured that out beforehand with the ability to communicate and affect rescue including having the money or insurance to pay for it!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's well known policy in Arizona (this is not colorado). If you do something stupid you pay.

I think you don't know what you are talking about. The guy in your post isn't going to get a bill for his rescue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Note: The responding rescue crews were Phoenix FD. Pretty sure they get paid.

Not to detract from this guy's dumbassery.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
118 degrees! just damn oh dear!

If we had headed to the house when the temps broke 115 as kids, the hay bales would still be laying in the fields, the alfalfa and corn would have dried up and shriveled away without irrigation water.

I will say, at about the same age as the stricken hiker, I am no longer acclimated to working in those temps.

But forty some years ago I would jog three miles, then move six sets of handlines at 1/4 mile each, then jog the three miles home. Farming don't stop just cause typical July/August weather sets in. You just carry lots of water.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood
Note: The responding rescue crews were Phoenix FD. Pretty sure they get paid.

Sometimes so do the people they rescue.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-p...lement-in-spinning-hiker-rescue-incident

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't know that the guy's age had a lot to do with it, but it may have. Nonetheless, good for him for trying. Last year, my uncle, at age 73, got himself in a situation where he realized he might not make it back home without help. So, he called for help. He spends a lot of time in the desert, and is not unfamiliar with the risks. He ran out of water. The county Sheriff rode up on an ATV and gave him water and helped him out. I have never had to call for help. If I did, I would have a problem since I don't have a cell phone. Still, I have no issues with hiking or working in the heat. I'm 74. GD

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had an old guy come up to my front door and asked if I wanted him to do my yard. I asked what he wanted to do it and it was a fair price so I told him to go ahead figuring he'd come by the next morning before it got hot. Nope, the old boy and his wife went to town on my yard. Him working on the back yard and her on the front. I checked the temperature and it was 100 and gettin close to noon. I filled up a large pitcher with water and some ice and brought it out to her. I told her if you need more just ring the bell and I'll fill it up again. It was 106 when they finished. They did a way better job than most I've hired to do the work so I hope he comes back in a moth to do it again.

I've live here in the Sonoran Desert since 1979 and in the higher desert of Nevada for 10 years before that. I'm fully aware of problems out and about during the summer months. before I got my knees messed uo so that hiking is now out of the qquestion, I used to spend a lot of time in the desert and on the local mountains. I do miss not being able to do that anymore.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys know that ambulance rides are not free either....right?

The one I took in 2022 would have been $1000 for that three mile ride. I pay a $60 annual subscription to my local ambulance association which waived that bill.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Medical transport, including helicopters, is included in our Medicare Advantage. That doesn't mean I'm going to go hiking in that kind of heat, though. I don't care if I never get to use the insurance. I've been roofing our house and it's been getting in the high 90's. I quit for the day by 11AM.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run our local Search and Rescue team, we are 100% volunteer. We are the lead agency for backcountry rescue and support the county Fire & Rescue Department (they are paid) on front-country if needed. Only 15% of our annual budget comes from the county, the rest is raised via fundraising, grants from philanthropic organizations and donations. We do not charge for our service, ever. Every person on the team is there because we want to be and right now we have a list of close to 30 people that would like to join. Yeah, people do dumb sh it every day, others just get in over their heads. We run an active outreach program focused on making smart choices, but in the end Darwin’s principle sometimes comes into play.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 14 invisible), 3,951 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.