Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Are they all being bought up by the feds for ammo for Ukraine? Seems minimal shortage on the other size primers but Large rifle and large rifle magnum are nowhere to be found.
I've got 600 Winchester Large Rifle, and 100 Federal Magnum Large Rifle, primers, and would gladly sell them to you, then ship them to you, but it seems that the regulations nowadays are so complicated that I don't think I'd want to get involved in it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have sold a few bricks to friends over the past two-three years, at current Midway listed pricing. Not gouging, but not going to sell at below replacement cost either.

I learned my lesson in '93, during the first shortage when Clinton came into office. Even at today's prices, primers are still the cheapest component to stock up on, and will store for decades without degradation.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Hunting season is coming on. If someone finds some, they'll buy several bricks even if they already have 20 bricks on hand.

Here's a good example of why there isn't any. How many primers do you need to get through a hunting season???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've got 600 Winchester Large Rifle, and 100 Federal Magnum Large Rifle, primers, and would gladly sell them to you

Wow!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Go back to sleep, it will all be over with when you wake up.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Everbody wants to blame the Ukraine war why there isn't any primers, the war consumes 1% of the ammo that gets sent over there. Does anybody realize Vista owns 90% of the primers being made.

I'm calling bullchit on this.

"Sent over there" - Where is "there"? Ukraine? If that is the case, then why not cut shipments back 99% if it isn't being used? Your statement makes no sense.

Vista 90%? What, Wiinchester and Remington quit making primers? Plus a number of lesser know imports? What orifice did you pull that percentage from?

As far as Iraq and Afghanistan, we didn't fight using prolonged trench warfare tactics like these clowns in Ukraine, who seem to be burning-out barrels all day long.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've got 600 Winchester Large Rifle, and 100 Federal Magnum Large Rifle, primers, and would gladly sell them to you

Wow!
Because I have so few or because I have so many?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I actually found 1,400 CCI200's at a local shop yesterday. $9.99/box, so they were not cheap but I got them. I was down to about 400 left, so while not a big stockpile it should keep me shooting for the next season to two. First Large Rifle Primers I have seen in close to 3 years.

Last edited by centershot; 07/18/23.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
They don’t want us to have them
This most definitely.
The “shortage” started long before the first Russian troop stepped over the border.
Government contracts to Ammo manufacturers are much more lucrative than selling Joe Reloader.
The government sets the quota, telling them how many they want, and I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory, and how many to make available for private sales.
Controlling ammo is a way for gun control by other means. The government has been at war with patriots for a long time. They definitely DO NOT want you able to fight back.
Change my mind!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Glad I don’t reload and fool with all of that tiddly worry. Box of 32 winchester special last me 15 years.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Everbody wants to blame the Ukraine war why there isn't any primers, the war consumes 1% of the ammo that gets sent over there. Does anybody realize Vista owns 90% of the primers being made.

I'm calling bullchit on this.

"Sent over there" - Where is "there"? Ukraine? If that is the case, then why not cut shipments back 99% if it isn't being used? Your statement makes no sense.

Vista 90%? What, Wiinchester and Remington quit making primers? Plus a number of lesser know imports? What orifice did you pull that percentage from?

As far as Iraq and Afghanistan, we didn't fight using prolonged trench warfare tactics like these clowns in Ukraine, who seem to be burning-out barrels all day long.
Call B.S if you want could careless. Vista owns Remington, CCI and Federal so that leaves win. In the U.S and a few foreign primers. Did you see the letter Vistas CEO put out? they have no plans on changing a thing.
I learned 20 + years ago about when the same [bleep] start first time primers were being made that would only last couple years on the shelf and panic set in. Price conditioning at its finest.
Keep buying those " sales"

Last edited by sherm_61; 07/18/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd gladly trade a bunch of primers for some good hunting permits/trips.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does record profits ring a Bell for Vista when this started or 700% profits for Cal- Maine last year U.S biggest egg producer? I know it was all the Bird flu.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you see the letter Vistas CEO put out? they have no plans on changing a thing.

Why don't you post a copy of it? Or at least a link?

I would prefer to see what he said, in his words, not somebody else's interpretation.

Last edited by SupFoo; 07/18/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ModelT
Glad I don’t reload and fool with all of that tiddly worry. Box of 32 winchester special last me 15 years.

Slummy, 'dat you?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If Vista is price gouging, it won’t last long.

Too many other brands are being imported now, and people are getting used to these brands. Eventually, many handloaders will view these brands no differently than they view the “traditional” primer brands (i.e. Win, CCI, Rem, Fed).

If retailers can buy imported primers from Wolf, S&B, Fiocchi, Aguila, Ginex, ZSR, etc… and sell them for less than a domestic brand, they will, and people will buy them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ModelT
You must shoot as often as you post. wink

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Did you see the letter Vistas CEO put out? they have no plans on changing a thing.

I would prefer to see what he said, in his words, not somebody else's interpretation.
Google is your friend I never have figured out how to post any links on this sight

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I began reloading in 2020 (good timing). Walmart had a pile of CCI 200 primers at the time and I bought a bunch. I haven't seen any anywhere since then and the shops that I frequent laugh when I ask. Maybe I'm not part of the "in" crowd.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Google is your friend I never have figured out how to post any links on this sight
Copy the web page's address and paste it in your post.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (5sdad, Akhutr, Amos63, 673, 7mm_Loco, 15 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,870
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.