Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18592685 07/18/23
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I know that Argentina is a popular destination for wing shooters. Great dove & pigeon shooting!

Is it popular for big game hunting? Red stag? Buffalo? Wild boar? Anything else?

Why or why not?

Just wondering what the North American and European crowd thinks about hunting big game in Argentina.

Thanks, Guy

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They also have Axis and Blackbuck. A viable alternative for those not wanting to go to Africa. The food and hospitality is supposed to be fabulous.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went to La Pampa Province 8-10 years ago and did a free range stag hunt along with black buck, fallow and European wild boar. My last day I decided to bird hunt. It wasn't a rough area by any means, but there were plenty of wild critters. Reminded me of South Dakota. The boar was hunted over a water hole at night but the other critters were all spot and stalk. It wasn't very tough, but they were free range and it was fun.

I can see how people burn through thousands of shotgun shells on the doves. I shot a handful and realized how expensive that was going to be so I asked to hunt perdiz. There were also two species of sharptail looking birds there, which I knocked the crap out of.

Food and accommodation was plenty good. No complaints. Nothing too crazy fancy, and that is how I prefer it. The lack of jet lag was a nice change. Buenos Aires is just like any big city....way the hell too crowded for me, but the women were ALL SMOKING hot. Once I got into the rural countryside it was really nice with a lot of very conservative people Another thing I quickly learned is that those South American gauchos can RIDE!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a very long ride in an aircraft.
I've been there once, hunted Red Stag, Dove, Ducks, Pidgins.
Lots of great food.
Everyone should go at least once.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks guys. Dad went to Argentina for the dove & pigeon shooting years ago and loved it. I've been seeing ads for big game hunting in Argentina, but don't know anyone who has done so.

Much appreciate the input.

Thanks! Guy

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stag in March during the roar (rut) is a very fun hunt ... in my case all stalking after locating bulls by way of their vocalizations.

Dove hunting is like nowhere else in the world. They ... just ... keep ... coming!

Pigeons (turqas), parakeets (pericos), perdiz ...

I did not shoot waterfowl.

I can recommend JJ Cacería. Tell him I sent you. Great estancia, great food, and he can put you on anything that flies, swims, or walks that is legal to harvest in Argentina.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Rick. Am thinking red stag combined with a bit of upland bird hunting and a day of fly fishing might be just about perfect.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been twice, once to Patagonia for free range red stag and once to La Pampa. The hunt with Algar in Patagonia was a horse back hunt and was one of the best hunts my wife and I have done.
Don't forget to schedule a few extra days in Buenos Aires for sightseeing and a tango show.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had to go look. Found only one place that will mention their rates! Sounds like something I'd love to do but also sounds like it's reserved only for the rich, that ain't me!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't know how it is now, but several years ago i did a Red Stag hunt in Argentina, and it was $4,995 all in.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Guy, the latest edition of Sporting Classics has a great article outlining the best lodges in Argentine and what they offer.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've been contemplating a trip for red stag and maybe a bit of fly fishing. That would be a hell of a trip, and I'm sure I'd have a blast. Like others have said, not many lodges list rates on their websites. I'd like to get a rough handle on prices before I call and speak more on specifics.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/20/23.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Guy, the latest edition of Sporting Classics has a great article outlining the best lodges in Argentine and what they offer.

Thanks! Maybe I'll check that out. smile

Have to admit that I can combine deer or elk hunting and fly fishing right here in the Northwest too... smile

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rates on the hunts aren't all that bad IME. Both my hunts were several years ago and like Jon, about $5k is what I remember paying. The trophy shipping is much higher than Africa but when I went the dollar was very strong and made all the other expenses relatively cheap.
If you can get to one of the larger shows like DSC it would probably be worthwhile.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The prices aren’t out of line at all, comparatively.

Compared to NZ and many other places red stag live, Argentina is a relative bargain.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I;m going in April for Axis and black buck - my son is going after Red Deer,
Prices are not bad at all.

I met the outfitter at DSC, La Carrizal.

Look for a report next year!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Can you bring back your game meat ?

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Lslite

I've been told that no, that's not permitted by the USA.

Guy

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lslite

All you can eat...but it ends there.

J
J
Good hunting

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 53 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.