Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 2011 Tacoma. 150,000 miles and no issues.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ve had 2 Toyoto’s with over 300k miles. A 96 T-100 and my current 2009 Tacoma now with 313k. Runs good, daily driver, bought new.
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
2020 sr5 4x4. Icon stage 3 suspension. It’s tight inside, riding in the back seat sucks.
I like the truck. It does well on and off road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do it. Come to the dark side. All are welcome....

2003 Tacoma
2017 Tundra.

Like Fester said, throw some Icon suspension on it, ride like a dream. Tundra has Stage 6 and leaf spring upgrade and it's beautiful to ride in on or off road.

Tacoma has Bilstein's and is less beautiful.

Old tacoma has 247k. Drive it as much or more than the Tundra for a couple reason.
a) I love the [bleep] out of it
b) It might not get me there fast but it ALWAYS will get me there
c) Fuel Economy
d) Tire's are cheaper than the bigger truck.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The newer tacomas have too many electronics, and a built in (in the engine), gps. I grubbed this from Tacoma World: troutspinner
#1troutspinner [OP]
Fishing Addict
Gilbertsville, Pa
Vehicle:
2020 Magnetic Gray Limited
I thought I would post about this, it’s been mentioned but I don’t know that it included all of the details I am about to mention. I have a 2020, I do not know how 2019s or older work so take this with a grain of salt if you do not have a 2020.

The 2020s include a SOS button. Next to the SOS button is a sticker, the sticker is labeled that driving data is being shared with Toyota and that the sticker should only be removed by the owner. The sticker further stated that if you wanted to change your data tracking preferences, press the SOS button. If you have downloaded the app, you’ll see that you have consented to have your data shared with their insurance partners to be able to use the app to its fullest potential, driver score, remote start, tracking, valet or driver modes, etc.

So what happens when you press the SOS button? You are asked if this is an emergency. With a response of no, you are then presented with choices. I chose the accounts or subscriptions, I forget the exact term. I was welcomed with a friendly voice and asked how I could be assisted. I asked that they turn the data tracking services off. In response, I was asked why as there are many benefits. I simply said that I have the app on my phone and I don’t see a need for me personally for this service. I further explained that I know the data is shared with the insurance industry and that I receive enough spam as it is and I don’t need any more from the insurance industry. I was then told that they could assist me with this although I would have to agree with the following;

This is not verbatim but the paragraph read pretty much states that all connected services, including tracking, theft recovery tracking and roadside assistance will be lost and then asked me if I agree. I said yes. The person I spoke to said thank you and that the green light on my SOS button would turn off and that my SOS button would then do nothing except connect to the service for the ability to turn connected services back on.

I watched the light go off upon hanging up. When checking the app on my phone, I can no longer remote start, lock or unlock the vehicle, see the mileage or fuel level. It does however give me the ability to view the vehicles health as well as I can call Toyota Roadside Assistance.

So that is it. No longer will it give me my driver score, the bulk of the data sharing but it does take away the ability to unlock/lock, view fuel level, mileage, valet mode, guest drivers, etc. so if these are feature you want / need, your hands are tied and you cannot turn off vehicle tracking.

I can however also go right back into my app and turn these features back on if I consent to data tracking and sharing of that data again so reversing what I’ve done earlier is pretty simple.

My idea of a perfect Tacoma would be 2012-2020 4x4 Off road long bed with low mileage.

I love mine, its a 4x4 sport , 2022, and its ok for a 4 hour or so drive. It’s also very good off road. The off road tavomas have more 4 WD options than the sport models.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Owned several Toyotas.

Tacoma
FJ Cruiser
FJ40

As of today a 2019 Tacoma 4x4 ….

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Based on internet talk about the 3rd generation Tundra, (2022+) and our issues with our 2020 Sienna, don't expect the QC Toyota was know for in the recent past.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Based on internet talk about the 3rd generation Tundra, (2022+) and our issues with our 2020 Sienna, don't expect the QC Toyota was know for in the recent past.

I think all brands have a flagship that gets the best engineering and quality crew. Tacoma is definitely it for Toyota...less so for the Sienna.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have 2016 4x4 TRD Off Road V6, bought it new, plenty of power, get between 20 and 22 mpg on the hwy. No complaints.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a 98 single cab 4cy, 5 spd..... then had a kid and upgraded to a 06 ext cab v6 with the auto..... had another kid and needed a bigger truck..... got a 10' 4 door, 6' bed, v6/auto....same combo as the 06 just about 16" longer lol.....then I landed on perfection..... a 14' ext cab 4cy 5sp..... all four tacomas were great for different reasons.... most stated above.... the 98 was simple.... good mileage, not much power but damn reliable and would go anywhere I needed to go..... the single cab was a killer though.... I'm only 6' and I just couldn't straighten my legs all the way..... have to pull over and stretch every couple hours on a road trip.

The 06 and 2010 had the v6 and a ton of power, crappy mileage but peppy and would also go just about anywhere....had the electronic locker as well....pretty handy.

The 14' was no hot rod but got pretty good mileage.... the little 4cy with the manual 5sp was a good combo.... it just felt lighter and more nimble than the v6/auto combo. One thing I will say....I have ZERO use for the little 4.5 or 5' bed.... it's just TOO DAMN SMALL..... much prefer the 6' bed.

Last edited by hardway; 07/18/23.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Our newest is a 2009, so I can't give you anything on the newer models. But, on that one, the electronic "safety" controls drove me nuts so I bought an older one for hunting. Don't need 100 beepers and alarms telling me how to drive. Also do not like the sport package handling is choppy and nervous.
Roy if you google Tacoma hacks there are ways to turn off the dam chimes and horns and lights. I turned off the horn for locking/unlocking as well as the seat belt bell on mine.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Been driving land cruisers for 25 years and was ready to get another (used since they quit making them) or a Lexus570/460.

Drove my cousins Taco TRD 4x4 a few days ago and loved it. It's a 2014 and I was surprised at how will it drove/handled. I'm looking at a new one - is there anything to look out for. Looking at the short bed TRD package... thanks
The only thing wrong with them is the price tag.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Our newest is a 2009, so I can't give you anything on the newer models. But, on that one, the electronic "safety" controls drove me nuts so I bought an older one for hunting. Don't need 100 beepers and alarms telling me how to drive. Also do not like the sport package handling is choppy and nervous.
Roy if you google Tacoma hacks there are ways to turn off the dam chimes and horns and lights. I turned off the horn for locking/unlocking as well as the seat belt bell on mine.

I'll do it! Thank you.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Last Oct I bought a 22. New, had 3 miles on it when I drove it off the lot.

Taco - TRD Off-road, double cab. Has everything except auto transmission. Literally - LED headlights, leather, heated seats, moon roof, ATACs, E-locker, 360 degree cameras, led lights in the bed, power sliding rear window etc. Paid $43,746 out the door. Tax, title, license, plates everything.

Comparatively speaking, I don't find that expensive when you realize that with basic maintenance, I'm likely to get 20+ years out of it and it might be one of the last naturally aspirated engines available for a long time.

I now have 9907 miles on it. Zero issues.

I'm averaging about 20-21 mpg a tank. That's a mix of small town city driving and highway runs to the local metro area. On the county roads with the cruise set at 60mph, I've gotten as much as 25mpg. In fact from GB to my home - a run of 40 miles, I generally average 23-25 mpg. Truck tells you what each trip's average was.

I tow snowmobiles on a typical trailer. So figure 1000 lbs worth of sleds and gear on an open flatbed sled trailer. Did 500 mile round trip - got 16.7 mpg. The same exact mpg my dad gets towing about the same gear on the same trailer with his etorque Ram. Tacoma is rated for 6500 lbs towing.

The truck is great - rides nice, small - like driving a go-kart but does what I need to do. Haul hunting gear and sleds/atv's etc easy enough and should last me 20+ years.

As to bells/noises - seatbelt chime is one but they all that that. Button on the dash turns off my "parking assist" - never hear it. Noises are a non-factor for me.

Off topic - I don't know who makes their wipers but these are the BEST OEM wipers I've ever owned. Had them since new, no streaking or chattering yet. I don't care if they're 100 a pair - I'll buy them OEM again. Usually I buy wipers every quarter with old vehicles. I'm picky about it - from driving truck and staring out a window all day. They need to be perfect. Taco wipers are kick ass.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Teal
Last Oct I bought a 22.

Taco - TRD Off-road, double cab. Has everything except auto transmission. Literally - LED headlights, leather, heated seats, moon roof, ATACs, E-locker, 360 degree cameras, led lights in the bed, power sliding rear window etc. Paid $43,746 out the door. Comparatively speaking, I don't find that expensive when you realize that with basic maintenance, I'm likely to get 20+ years out of it and it might be one of the last naturally aspirated engines available for a long time.

I now have 9907 miles on it. Zero issues.

I'm averaging about 20-21 mpg a tank. That's a mix of small town city driving and highway runs to the local metro area. On the county roads with the cruise set at 60mph, I've gotten as much as 25mpg. In fact from GB to my home - a run of 40 miles, I generally average 23-25 mpg. Truck tells you what each trip's average was.

I tow snowmobiles on a typical trailer. So figure 1000 lbs worth of sleds and gear on an open flatbed sled trailer. Did 500 mile round trip - got 16.7 mpg. The same exact mpg my dad gets towing about the same gear on the same trailer with his etorque Ram. Tacoma is rated for 6500 lbs towing.

The truck is great - rides nice, small - like driving a go-kart but does what I need to do. Haul hunting gear and sleds/atv's etc easy enough and should last me 20+ years.

As to bells/noises - seatbelt chime is one but they all that that. Button on the dash turns off my "parking assist" - never hear it. Noises are a non-factor for me.

Off topic - I don't know who makes their wipers but these are the BEST OEM wipers I've ever owned. Had them since new, no streaking or chattering yet. I don't care if they're 100 a pair - I'll buy them OEM again. Usually I buy wipers every quarter with old vehicles. I'm picky about it - from driving truck and staring out a window all day. They need to be perfect. Taco wipers are kick ass.

New TRD's are 50+ everywhere I see them. It has much better build quality and engine design then its competitors Ranger,GMC and Chevy. It however does not hold a candle to them in ride quality and even power.

I want something with better ride quality so I would go with a Lexus SUV specifically a GX 460. Which compared to Toyota prices is not a whole lot more but no comparison in Build Quality. These are Toyotas Flagships.

Toyota wipers are very good overall. When I go to the parts counter at the Toyota dealer they have aftermarket crap hanging there that is 1/2 the price. More of a pain to install the inserts but well worth it .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2020 Tundra here, so I assume Tacos are same, owners manual says seat belt chime is a user preference and dealer can turn off if asked.

Dealer gets real upset when you give them a low rating after asking them to do this and they tell you they can’t, then they tell you it’s illegal. Then you send them the email from corporate saying they should have done it and they ask “how can we repair our relationship”. Uh, you can’t, I’ll just drive the hour or two in the other 3 cardinal directions to a metro area with another dealer in the future.

Last edited by Cheesy; 07/19/23. Reason: typos
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Cheesy
2020 Tundra here, so I assume Tacos are same, owners manual says seat belt chime is a user preference abd deaker can turn off if asked.

Dealer gets real upset when you give them a low rating after asking them to do this and they tell you they can’t, then they tell you it’s illegal. Then you send them the email from corporate saying they should have done it and they ask “how can we repair our relationship”. Uh, you can’t, I’ll just drive the hour or two in the other 3 cardinal directions to a metro area with another dealer in the future.

I have used the local Toyota dealer for the last 25 years. I can bring it in and know it will be repaired properly. That said on my last Toyota Highlander it was constant constant up sale on regular maintenance visits. They hav raised their labor rates to 200 an hour so hey can GFT for any future work. I no longer have the Highlander so no need to go there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sticker off of mine -

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It's got those AR15 BCG looking rims.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

BTW that is the cheapest I have seen a 2023

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.