Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I bought a super nice model 70 in 270 WSM from a friend this past year. I am just curious about the value of it and also roughly the year it is from. Also considering selling it because its just too pretty to hunt with and I am not a hardcore collector. I was thinking it was a featherweight because all other featherweights I have seen have that same style stock on it....but there is not any featherweight markings on the barrel or action. Thoughts? Professional opinions?

Attached Images
2ADFE06E-4DB3-4F3C-A770-B91071865B1A.JPG (37.65 KB, 483 downloads)
C364A084-2CAE-47F6-99E0-DF5030A321E4.JPG (31.31 KB, 482 downloads)
A5EFE4EE-F590-4636-9DE8-33463699A379.JPG (32.24 KB, 479 downloads)
8DCC491B-FCB6-4534-AB03-FCE8670200DA.JPG (48.19 KB, 478 downloads)
C6955925-5F03-488C-8807-165BD97C649D.JPG (50.71 KB, 480 downloads)
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, at least you posted photos, but damn near worthless because I can't zoom in on them. No pics of the schnabel and you don't give the serial #. I'm going to assume it's a 7 digit classic made after 2001. I'd make sure the chamber is not oval and is indeed round. Some of these earlier WSM's had issues. The 7 digit classics also had some issues of their own. This makes these rifles some of the least desirable of the bunch. Besides the plastic stock and duratouch walmart models.

Winchester may have termed this one a featherweight, when indeed it really is not. Basically a sporter thrown in a modified fwt stock. Nice rifles, but I'd want to be sure the chamber is nice and round and the scope mount holes are drilled in line with the center axis of the bore. Some of them were not. Some were bad enough that you could actually see they were out with the naked eye. If everything checked out on this rifle, I'd expect it to top out around $875-900.00.. There's not guarantee on that price even, as the 270 wsm is basically dead in the water. This is the first time you'll hear me say this, but if it were a BACO 2008 limited ediiton 270 WSM, it would be worth slightly more.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s a 7 digit.

03/04 based on what I can discern.

I might go a little higher on my estimate, but not by a whole bunch.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
It’s a 7 digit.

03/04 based on what I can discern.

I might go a little higher on my estimate, but not by a whole bunch.

From what I can see, which isn't much, it looks like a pretty plain looking stock. If it were nicer, my price would reflect that.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If everything checked out on this rifle, I'd expect it to top out around $875-900.00.. There's not guarantee on that price even, as the 270 wsm is basically dead in the water..
And that's the biggest value killer - the 270 WSM.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
If everything checked out on this rifle, I'd expect it to top out around $875-900.00.. There's not guarantee on that price even, as the 270 wsm is basically dead in the water..

I hear that a lot . I have unloaded a 270 WSM Kimber Montana and a 300 WSM Model 70 in the past year. They did take a while but they sold for a decent buck as well. I would not buy a new one in either cartridge any time soon. grin

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
SN is G 2408854. Sorry can’t get a picture of the schnabel to load for some reason. Not sure how to load better pictures.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I hear that a lot . I have unloaded a 270 WSM Kimber Montana and a 300 WSM Model 70 in the past year. They did take a while but they sold for a decent buck as well. I would not buy a new one in either cartridge any time soon. grin

Well, keep me in mind for any well priced Montana 300 WSM's you all need to get rid of! whistle

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, at least you posted photos, but damn near worthless because I can't zoom in on them. No pics of the schnabel and you don't give the serial #. I'm going to assume it's a 7 digit classic made after 2001. I'd make sure the chamber is not oval and is indeed round. Some of these earlier WSM's had issues. The 7 digit classics also had some issues of their own. This makes these rifles some of the least desirable of the bunch. Besides the plastic stock and duratouch walmart models.

Winchester may have termed this one a featherweight, when indeed it really is not. Basically a sporter thrown in a modified fwt stock. Nice rifles, but I'd want to be sure the chamber is nice and round and the scope mount holes are drilled in line with the center axis of the bore. Some of them were not. Some were bad enough that you could actually see they were out with the naked eye. If everything checked out on this rifle, I'd expect it to top out around $875-900.00.. There's not guarantee on that price even, as the 270 wsm is basically dead in the water. This is the first time you'll hear me say this, but if it were a BACO 2008 limited ediiton 270 WSM, it would be worth slightly more.
Per usual, using your charm to make friends. He basically stated he's not a Win guy and is looking for help. Rather than criticize maybe you could have nicely said "more information would be helpful". I'm not saying you're wrong about his rifle (because you're not) but FFS, why do you b---h about everyone's picture habits? Not everyone wants to spend the amount of time here you do. He's been a member longer than you and has about 44k less posts. Not everyone that posts in this section has your Winchester knowledge. There is a way to do this and not be a d--k. Cut him some slack, be decent and if you can't move the f--k on. your insults and bluster about pictures is old and tired.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Well, keep me in mind for any well priced Montana 300 WSM's you all need to get rid of! whistle

I'm selling a 300 WSM Tikka to a buddy, for $600.00. I like the cartridge well enough, but have others that work just as well. 30-06 comes to mind there. The nice thing about the old 06 is most of mine carry 5 and 6 in the magazine. I'll likely hang on to that stainless Ruger m77 300 RSAUM though. That thing impresses me.
Originally Posted by Technoman26

Per usual, using your charm to make friends. He basically stated he's not a Win guy and is looking for help. Rather than criticize maybe you could have nicely said "more information would be helpful". I'm not saying you're wrong about his rifle (because you're not) but FFS, why do you b---h about everyone's picture habits? Not everyone wants to spend the amount of time here you do. He's been a member longer than you and has about 44k less posts. Not everyone that posts in this section has your Winchester knowledge. There is a way to do this and not be a d--k. Cut him some slack, be decent and if you can't move the f--k on. your insults and bluster about pictures is old and tired.

Your sandy mangina is getting old. He didn't say he didn't know anything about Winchesters, just that it seemed strange that it's not marked featherweight anywhere. I gave an honest evaluation of his rifle. If you don't like it, you can move on.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Your sandy mangina is getting old. He didn't say he didn't know anything about Winchesters, just that it seemed strange that it's not marked featherweight anywhere. I gave an honest evaluation of his rifle. If you don't like it, you can move on.
You're a funny guy BSA. "Sandy mangina"...ha! Come up with that yourself? I like all your "helping". Keep it up. Post some more pics. We can all continue to enjoy your wit and target/rifle pictures. The funny thing is about you, you don't even realize how many people on this forum you irritate. That said, I'm sure also you don't care. So, at least you have that. I'll move on when I'm ready but I'm happy to continue to go back and forth about what a great guy you are if you want to.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Zoom works for me on the photos and, as noted, about any WSM is a tough sell. Particularly given the recent past with ammo and components. I would not touch any WSM, SAMU or RCM. No reason to. With time I suspect some of the latest greats will peter out as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AMoore141
I bought a super nice model 70 in 270 WSM from a friend this past year. I am just curious about the value of it and also roughly the year it is from. Also considering selling it because its just too pretty to hunt with and I am not a hardcore collector. I was thinking it was a featherweight because all other featherweights I have seen have that same style stock on it....but there is not any featherweight markings on the barrel or action. Thoughts? Professional opinions?

First of all...nice Model 70, sir. smile Secondly, the 270WSM is a fine cartridge with a lot of capability. Most of the negatives about the cartridge revolves around available factory ammo. It really shines when hand loaded.

A good friend has the exact twin to your rifle. This Spring, I pillar bedded it and with the Nosler 160 and RL19, it's a nice accurate rig for his upcoming elk hunt.

The price for your sample might not be as high as if it were chambered in a more 'classic' cartridge (30-06, 270, etc). And while I'm not a Winchester 'guy', these are still nice guns.

Good shootin' -Al

PS: No problem here enlarging your pictures. Good to keep that in mind as you weigh the worth of some responses. wink

Forbidden Zoner
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by AMoore141

As bsa noted, your rifle isn't a Featherweight but a Sporter in a Featherweight stock. Winchester did that with rifles chambered for some magnum cartridges during the period that everyone is referencing.

A Sporter usually has a fairly heavy 24" or 26" barrel, while a Featherweight usually has a lighter 22" barrel. The giveaway is the little step down in barrel shank diameter right in front of the action. Compare the Featherweight to the Supergrade at https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/current.html and you'll see what I mean. This holds true for pre-64 as well as current guns.

The 270 Winchester has getting it done for nearly a century. The WSM version runs a bit faster and both have a 1:10 twist so they likely won't handle long, high-BC bullets well. Inside of 4-500 yards both are superb choices. The only issues with the WSM are that ammo can be scarce and expensive, and that it will probably be discontinued.

If you like the rifle, then take it hunting. A couple of hundred pieces of brass should last a lifetime.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
All true; but just so there isn’t confusion Winchester did catalog this offering as the “classic featherweight.”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
OP, Perry is usually pretty spot on with their pricing. They posted this one today. You can watch it and see if it sells - just another data point for you.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...od-70-270-wsm-nice-.cfm?gun_id=102384070

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks for the input guys....gonna do some more research on the gun and see what I can find out about it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,708
Posts18,475,359
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.